Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Meeting

Options
  • 01-12-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

We are having a public meeting/information evening on Wednesday the 7th of December at 8p.m. in Charlesland Golf Club. Representatives from Educate Together will be giving a talk on what an Educate Together school would look like at 2nd level and you will have a chance to ask questions, and give us your opinion on what you would like to see in a school.

It is a huge step forward that parents have been given the opportunity to have this kind of active involvement in what kind of school will be built in their community and we are very excited to be a part of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hopefully this meeting is well publicised over a wide area and not just online cos it is a very important topic for many in the wider area of Greystones/Delgany.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 North Wicklow Educate Together 2nd Level

We have a piece in this week's Wicklow Times with some lovely messages of support from the local community and we have been sticking up posters like mad.

We rely very heavily on word of mouth so please, please tell anyone that you think may be interested about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 videos

Hi, i missed this thread unfortunately - is there any comments on how the meetign went / attendance etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

videos wrote: »
    Hi, i missed this thread unfortunately - is there any comments on how the meetign went / attendance etc ?

I was there - the room in Charlesland GC was full for the meeting (I dunno, 100 people maybe?). A lot of the attendees were parents with kids in existing ET primary schools (Greystones and elsewhere). There were interesting presentations from the ET CEO and Education officer.

Applications for patronage of the new school are due in by end Feb, with a decision from the dept of education due before the summer Dail recess. The other candidates for patronage (afaik) are Wicklow VEC (T/A "Greystones Community College") and the Church of Ireland.

There was also a suggestion at the meeting that the Gaelscoil movement are trying to make a late bid for joint-patronage with ET, which is a bit cheeky at this late stage IMO, but I'm not involved with any of the campaigns so we'll see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

I think the Gaelscoil is planning on making a submission for patronage but it wouldn't be with ET.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 North Wicklow Educate Together 2nd Level

The meeting went really well - lots of positive feedback and interesting questions.

Irish speaking children would be incorporated into a 2nd level ET school in a way that would suit them the best, all of that would need to be discussed as it is a complicated issue. At the moment there is no plan for ET and An Foras Patrunachta to apply for joint patronage of the new school for Greystones. The Department of Education stated that it will be an 'english language school of 750 students'.

Advertisement