Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Toy Show 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

Is there any place to download the show ? Im abroad and rte player wont work here so id love to download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i enjoyed the thread more TBH.

Had me lauging out loud in some posts. there was definate overkill on the singing and dancing front though.

in fact some of it strayed into "minipops" territory. you'd think RTE wouldve copped on to something the brits did in the 80s

there was probably alot of paedos wacking one off to half it :)

some of the stuff tubs came out with was mad too (not to mention how he seemed to have found the only other family in the country with his name for one of the singers )

got a great laugh out of the motorised kiddie cars though. one of the kids near lived the dream by almost running him down . better luck next time kid !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The show wasnt too bad last night,little fella with the guitar rolling around the floor was funny,also thought the little lad with the tractors was funny he was determined to show everyone that the trailer tipps :) The little kids doing the book reviews are always good,hightlight for me though was watching DLB playing the skiing game and the two girls mentioning he should go skiing with his girlfriend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The Times are impressed:

Toy Show serves up seasonal giddiness, great performances
    GIANT DINOSAURS, a doll that poops green gunge, an inflatable Dalek-shaped bicycle — they were just some of the stars of last night’s Late Late Toy Show , the ratings juggernaut which has become, in many households, the official start to Christmas. But as every year, the children were the real stars, fizzing with the energy that only giddy kids can manufacture.

I disagree on the kids.. There were too many stage kids, and staged dialogues, for my liking... Maybe the show looked different from Dublin 4....

The toys were a bit disappointing as well... BUT, I want myself one of those remote controlled flying Finding Nemo's ... now that IS a fkn toy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

BUT, I want myself one of those remote controlled flying Finding Nemo's ... now that IS a fkn toy...

http://airswimmers.com/
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=air+swimmers&authToken= (€53)

Pricy enough (considering they are $30 RRP in the States)

It was the best toy last night, so if you're going to grab one in Argos, better do it quickly....

http://www.basquille.net/argos/

• Advertisement

OH those fish are called Air Swimmers btw..

http://www.airswimmers.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Mr E wrote: »
    http://airswimmers.com/
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=air+swimmers&authToken= (€53)

Pricy enough (considering they are $30 RRP in the States)

It was the best toy last night, so if you're going to grab one in Argos, better do it quickly....

http://www.basquille.net/argos/

available here today only

http://www.boffer.co.uk/

Washout wrote: »
    available here today only.
    http://www.boffer.co.uk/

Just thinking there.. If the house gets flooded this year like it did last year, I'll just get a regular balloon and paint a picture of a fish on it... save a few quid..

How are boffer for delivery? If they're like ibood, it won't arrive until after christmas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

fecking hell 53 quid for the fish and another 45 quid for a cylinder of helium !

thats a bit pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

What did I miss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

hondasam wrote: »
    What did I miss?

i will 2nd that i turned off after a few mins could not watch DLB flying around,looking like he was high.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i will 2nd that i turned off after a few mins could not watch DLB flying around,looking like he was high.

Was he that bad? have to read the thread yet.

when will the figures be out for the amount of viewers tubbers has said he will quit if they are poor

RYAN Tubridy has admitted that the buck stops with him when it comes to ratings, saying, "if I'm not good enough, I'm out".

Ahead of tonight's Late Late Toy Show the presenter told the Herald that he points the finger of blame at himself.

"To be honest, it's my name over the door. It all stops with me. I actually take all the responsibility for the programme's ratings.

"So if I'm not good enough, I'm out; if I am good enough then I will stay.

"No one is to blame but me, that's the way I see it now. I have to be very grown up about it now," he said. Meanwhile, the RTE host also defended his massive wage, which was shown as €520,000 in 2009.

"I basically feel that I can try to do something as a public servant in some respects, in a public service broadcaster way and think, 'Let's try and make a difference in any way that we can' and I think we can'," he said.

Ryan (38) made the comments ahead of the highly anticipated Toy Show, which will have a Toy Story theme.

Dressing up as the popular character Woody, Ryan says ratings will be the last thing on his mind tonight.

"I don't think about ratings on a week to week basis, I am actually happy now. Tonight the ratings are the furthest thing from my mind. I want to have a good night, for the kids to enjoy it, for the adults to relax and to park their worries at the gate," he admitted.

Ryan's next Christmas gig will be hosting four shows on BBC Radio 2 before New Year's Eve.

But despite speculation that he will be giving up his starring role on RTE for good, Ryan said he will definitely still be with RTE next year.

"I'll be here next year. I will definitely be here next year, if RTE want me.

"The contract is due to be signed in 2012, and I am really looking forward to 2012, put it that way," he said.

And a Merry Christmas to you too.... *takes off Santa hat and throws it in the corner* :(

Ah poor johnny, is the bad mod killing your santa spirit:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

hondasam wrote: »
    What did I miss?

at 10.30, tubs kicked all the kids out and it turned in to the late late adult toy show. we could've done without his running commentary of playboy bunnies showing off the latest in nipple clamps, whips and furry handcuffs, although it was fun when they locked him into a metal chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

didn't watch it, can't stand that Gobshyte Tubridy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

My 9 year old daughter was watching it today. About half way through the show she starts whining, "why is there so much singing, it's not supposed to be X Factor, its supposed to be The Toy Show". Five minutes later she got up & walked out in to the playroom and that was that. The first time she has never watched the show to the end. This year they should have called it The Late Late Music show. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

PWEI wrote: »
    My 9 year old daughter was watching it today. About half way through the show she starts whining, "why is there so much singing, it's not supposed to be X Factor, its supposed to be The Toy Show". Five minutes later she got up & walked out in to the playroom and that was that. The first time she has never watched the show to the end. This year they should have called it The Late Late Music show. :(

The Late Late Toy Show has always been this way. Also have you had her tested for ADD?

Don't be a dick, Rovert. Read the thread. Countless people have commented on how much music was on the show. The ADD comment was unnecessary.

• Advertisement

Don't be a dick, Rovert. Read the thread. Countless people have commented on how much music was on the show. The ADD comment was unnecessary.

I am not being a dick. Someone do a break down on how much music there was on this show compared to previous years. I don't see how my ADD comment was unnecessary it is a rather common problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

rovert wrote: »
    I am not being a dick. Someone do a break down on how much music there was on this show compared to previous years. I don't see how my ADD comment was unnecessary it is a rather common problem.

So you're saying it WAS necessary to tell a mother or father that their 9 year old (you don't even know) should get tested for ADD...and all because it was pointed out that there was more music on the Toy Show than previous years (which there was but that's beside the point)

Are you for real pal???:confused: You're obviously not a parent anyway...

telekon wrote: »
    So you're saying it WAS necessary to tell a mother or father that their 9 year old (you don't even know) should get tested for ADD...and all because it was pointed out that there was more music on the Toy Show than previous years (which there was but that's beside the point)

Are you for real pal???:confused: You're obviously not a parent anyway...

Why are you stigmatising ADD?

Again the Toy Show has always been formatted this way. Everyone makes those tiresome Billy Barry references in relation to it.

Please back up the statement that there was more music than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Why are you stigmatising ADD?
    Telekon is in no way trying to stigmatise ADD/ADHD, he is merely pointing out how inappropriate it is to suggest to a complete stranger that they should have their child assessed for ADD. If you want to raise awareness of ADD/ADHD, maybe you should start a thread in the parenting forum.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Telekon is in no way trying to stigmatise ADD/ADHD, he is merely pointing out how inappropriate it is to suggest to a complete stranger that they should have their child assessed for ADD. If you want to raise awareness of ADD/ADHD, maybe you should start a thread in the parenting forum.

You are making a real big issue about a throwaway comment. Cut the e-righteousness and over thinking & break down how much music there was on this year's show compared to last year's.

You are making a real big issue about a throwaway comment. Cut the e-righteousness and over thinking & break down how much music there was on this year's show compared to last year's.

Yes. That is the real issue here... :rolleyes:

"E-righteousness?" Jesus...

telekon wrote: »
    Yes. That is the real issue here... :rolleyes:

"E-righteousness?" Jesus...

You know you and MrsD007 thanking each other's posts reinforcing your own indignation and ramping up a throwaway comment.

Like I keep asking someone back up the claim that there was more music than ever.

Yeah, I Sky+ed last years show and still have it. :rolleyes::)

You know you and MrsD007 thanking each other's posts reinforcing your own indignation and ramping up a throwaway comment.

Like I keep asking someone back up the claim that there was more music than ever.
    You are not helping the cause of ADD/ADHD by trivalising it. It is obvious that you have little or no understanding of the condition. I think if you had you wouldn't have made such a careless throw away remark.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I Sky+ed last years show and still have it. :rolleyes::)

I could bump last year's thread or the year before that and find the exact same comments about "too much music this year." Just seems to me the recency effect is influencing peoples opinions rather than any actual differences in the formatting of the show.

I could bump last year's thread or the year before that
    Oh please don't do it :D:D:D

Oh please don't do it :D:D:D

It will probably be the exact same heads saying the exact same things - like every Late Late thread.
    You are not helping th cause of ADD/ADHD by trivalising it. It is obvious that you have little or no understanding of the condition. I think if you had you wouldn't have made such a careless throw away remark.

Where did I say I was championing the cause of ADHD? Again you continue to create a narrative to ramp up a throwaway comment based on this characterisation of the posters's child's behaviour:
    PWEI wrote: »

It will probably be the exact same heads saying the exact same things - like every Late Late thread.

Where did I say I was championing the cause of ADHD? Again you continue to create a narrative to ramp up a throwaway comment based on this characterisation of the posters's child's behaviour:
    Oh dear, I'm really bored now, I'm out :pac::pac::pac:

Here is a clip of nine year old, Ashley Tubridy (for those who missed the LLS Toy Show on Friday night). This girl is amazing :) She was the highlight of the show for me.

Here is a clip of nine year old, Ashley Tubridy (for those who missed the LLS Toy Show on Friday night). This girl is amazing :) She was the highlight of the show for me.

I never thought I would find myself saying this, but Tubridy certainly was the highlight of the show for me too.. :)

• Advertisement

I could bump last year's thread or the year before that and find the exact same comments about "too much music this year."

OK so quiet boring Sunday afternoon, I thought "why not?", just to prove a point. Last year there were very few comments about "too much music", and I counted 8-9 acts.

This year there were 14.

OK so quiet boring Sunday afternoon, I thought "why not?", just to prove a point. Last year there were very few comments about "too much music", and I counted 8-9 acts.

This year there were 14.
    Fair play! - talk about being dedicated :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

LOL :D:D:D

Harry you must be a fossil, Harold & Maude was released in 1971, that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before my time. :p

I agree there isn't much chemistry between Costner and Houston but it is a romantic film, I would have no complaints about the young Costner being my Bodyguard :D
    Costner chanced one of the wrist whilst getting a massage while on his honeymoon!

Costner chanced one of the wrist whilst getting a massage while on his honeymoon!
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much information there Ash J :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This year there were 14.

I could bump last year's thread or the year before that and find the exact same comments about "too much music this year." Just seems to me the recency effect is influencing peoples opinions rather than any actual differences in the formatting of the show.

• Advertisement

This year there were 14.

The length was the issue of people not the number of acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The length was the issue of people not the number of acts.

Fricks sake Rovert. You're like a dog with a bone. Or a broken record.

no way related by any chance?

No, Ryan confirmed that she wasn't related to him.

She's far too talented to be related to that lot...

WELL tubbers been so private you would never know?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

WELL tubbers been so private you would never know?

I don't think she's related to him, but is she is does it matter? she is so talent. i can't believe she's only 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

Even as a kid i hated the Billy Barry/theatre group stuff on the LL Toy Show
    Always struck me as over rehearsed, jazz hands rubbish, it's a breath of fresh
    air to see someone like Ashley Tubridy doing her own thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I saw about half the toy show. From about 10:30 onwards. I thought Tubs did well. he seems to get on with kids, as was said earlier, and he really is a big nerd and that was quite funny to watch.

I always hated the Billy Barry Brats when I was Toy Show age. They were a bunch of smart-arsed, loud mouth, wastes of space. I had no interest in their ****e when I could have been looking at other kids reviewing toys. I always thought those kids doing the reviews were so lucky!

I do kind of applaud what the LLS tried to do this year. They wanted to get kids on the air and it was nice to see a show aimed at kids with entertainment provided by kids. I wonder if what they actually wanted was a load of amateur musicians and a chance to give them a break. What they actually got was a bunch of Mummy's sending in clips of little Saoirse & Ultan who are "like, so absolutely fantastic in that musical that they did in 'Little Divas' drama & Acting school". A lot of it was awful. I did like the two guys, one with a guitar, the other singing though. I thought they might have had Imelda May walk on mid way through the Imelda-lite act. There really seems to be an explosion in the number of stage academy type schools. I suppose it's all to do with the X Factor and the fact that most likely some of ****eZone, PestLife and definitely Samantha Scumbag was a stage school brat. Yes, indeed, look at the quality of the careers those artists have had. Isn't that exactely what you want your little diddums growing up to do?

Maybe I'm getting old but a lot of the kids were precocious little brats. There were a few nice ones though! I think Tubs did put them at ease though so that's probably half of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

squonk wrote: »
    I saw about half the toy show. From about 10:30 onwards. I thought Tubs did well. he seems to get on with kids, as was said earlier, and he really is a big nerd and that was quite funny to watch.

On behalf of nerds everywhere I demand you retract your scurrilous accusation! :mad:

*holy crap I spelled scurrilous 1st time without spell check

• Advertisement
Advertisement