Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Toy Show 2011

1293031323335»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I was just thinking on the way home from work about the Toy show grand prize. and yeah I entered it, I would have loved a trek to the big apple with a fat cheque of money to spend but wouldn't it have been brilliant if the money was given in euros, that there was no trip to the states and the money was kept here?
    Sure 20K (was that the value?) wouldn't be too much in the grandest scheme of things but better to be spending it here than sending it abroad.

Despite that afterthought, I really enjoyed the show, cringe worthy music bits and all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

squonk wrote: »
    I saw about half the toy show. From about 10:30 onwards. I thought Tubs did well. he seems to get on with kids, as was said earlier, and he really is a big nerd and that was quite funny to watch.

I always hated the Billy Barry Brats when I was Toy Show age. They were a bunch of smart-arsed, loud mouth, wastes of space. I had no interest in their ****e when I could have been looking at other kids reviewing toys. I always thought those kids doing the reviews were so lucky!

I do kind of applaud what the LLS tried to do this year. They wanted to get kids on the air and it was nice to see a show aimed at kids with entertainment provided by kids. I wonder if what they actually wanted was a load of amateur musicians and a chance to give them a break. What they actually got was a bunch of Mummy's sending in clips of little Saoirse & Ultan who are "like, so absolutely fantastic in that musical that they did in 'Little Divas' drama & Acting school". A lot of it was awful. I did like the two guys, one with a guitar, the other singing though. I thought they might have had Imelda May walk on mid way through the Imelda-lite act. There really seems to be an explosion in the number of stage academy type schools. I suppose it's all to do with the X Factor and the fact that most likely some of ****eZone, PestLife and definitely Samantha Scumbag was a stage school brat. Yes, indeed, look at the quality of the careers those artists have had. Isn't that exactely what you want your little diddums growing up to do?

Maybe I'm getting old but a lot of the kids were precocious little brats. There were a few nice ones though! I think Tubs did put them at ease though so that's probably half of it.

In my day watching the toy show was all about the toys as there were only half a dozen shops that had proper toys and I lived in Dublin city.
    A lot of the time the presents were bought in the shop down the road, the farm box or the cowboy set, Saturday mornings Christmas time in Hector Gray's or later Switzers window was the treat.
    The kids on the show with Gay years ago done a jig with the hands welded to their sides.
    Now we let the reins off a bit more and teach them how to act, sing, and dance, something they might like, not what we want them to like.
    Don't call people Scumbags because you think they are Arts school Brats.
    They can annoy you and make you want to throw some thing at the box but that doesn't make them Scumbags, we save that for the likes of the person who hit and run a 14 year old kid who later died while we watched the Toy show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Tubridy is probably gonna get a few months relief from criticism after the figures for the toy show...

Over 1.4m watch Late Late Toy Show
    Friday's Late Late Toy Show was the most watched programme on Irish television in 17 years, with an average of 1,414,000 viewers. The average viewership makes it the highest rating Toy Show in over 18 years and an increase of almost 7,000 viewers on last year's record-breaking audience of 1,407,700.

The Late Late Toy Show is now the No 1 ranking show of the year across all channels in Ireland, followed by A National Address By An Taoiseach Enda Kenny, TD which attracted an average audience of 1,199,000 on Sunday, followed in third place by the Eurovision Final on May 14 which attracted an average audience of 1,174,000 viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Those ratings have nothing to do with Tubridy. It's the Toy Show, it's a staple part of Christmas in most Irish households. We've been in recession the past few years, that's why last year's figures were great and this year's even better...people are staying in for their entertainment instead of going out. It annoys me that Tubridy and RTE will probably use these figures to "prove" that he's worth his ridiculous salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

Those ratings have nothing to do with Tubridy. It's the Toy Show, it's a staple part of Christmas in most Irish households. We've been in recession the past few years, that's why last year's figures were great and this year's even better...people are staying in for their entertainment instead of going out. It annoys me that Tubridy and RTE will probably use these figures to "prove" that he's worth his ridiculous salary.

:rolleyes:

So when the rating drop its all Tubridy's fault. But when they increase it has "nothing to do with Tubridy". Granted the fact that it was the Toy Show guaranteed a huge audience, but of course Ryan Tubridy played a big part in them attracting record audiences. Do you honestly think Pat Kenny would have pulled in so many viewers? Did he ever? Obviously not since this was the most watched programme on Irish television in 17 years

Credit where its due, Ryan did a very good job on the Toy Show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

gemma188 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

So when the rating drop its all Tubridy's fault. But when they increase it has "nothing to do with Tubridy". Granted the fact that it was the Toy Show guaranteed a huge audience, but of course Ryan Tubridy played a big part in them attracting record audiences. Do you honestly think Pat Kenny would have pulled in so many viewers? Did he ever? Obviously not since this was the most watched programme on Irish television in 17 years

Credit where its due, Ryan did a very good job on the Toy Show

If Pat was still doing the Late Late then I'm sure this year's Toy Show would have had the same amount of viewers.

It is absurd to judge Tubridy's popularity as a presenter on the Toy Show ratings. You can only judge it on the ratings for a regular Friday night Late Late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I know it's not very popular to say that you like Ryan Tubridy but I do :) Don't get me wrong, I recognise the flaws but equally I know that these days many interviewees have certain things that they will absolutely refuse to talk about and therefore, many interviews are necessarily bland. They only want to talk about their product (movie, book, show, album etc.) not themselves.

Even the very best absolutely mess up at times (anyone remember Parkinson and Meg Ryan? Cringe :o)

From about 8:20 onwards it becomes a disaster and goes to show that some interviewees really don't want to talk about things and when you push them too hard you ruin the interview, disturb the guests and make the audience uncomfortable.

Tubridy has never done anything as bad as that that I can recall. Again, I'm slightly biased because I like his work for the most part.

EDIT: To keep it on topic; I thought he did an excellent job on Friday and I really liked the show and how he messed around and had fun with the kids. Great job imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Agreed. I haven't watched the Late Late Show since.. well, last year's Toy Show

gemma188 wrote: »
    So when the rating drop its all Tubridy's fault. But when they increase it has "nothing to do with Tubridy". Credit where its due, Ryan did a very good job on the Toy Show

Well I think it's a mix of the two.. People dont watch the show because of him, but neither is he himself enough to put people off watching the show.. The Toy Show brand guarantees viewers...

What will happen though is RTE will disingenuously mix this figure in with his regular LLS figures and tell us all what a great job he is doing...

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Tubridy has never done anything as bad as that that I can recall. Again, I'm slightly biased because I like his work for the most part.

The Late Late Show: November 5th 2010

Look up the Juliette Binnoche interview.... He spent the week before the interview saying how great she was.. and then spent the week after it giving out about her.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Late Late Show: November 5th 2010

Look up the Juliette Binnoche interview.... He spent the week before the interview saying how great she was.. and then spent the week after it giving out about her.. :D

Nah the Meg Ryan one is way worse. The Binoche one is a bit awkward but it never reaches the level of the Meg Ryan/Parkinson one.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplepug

I actually purchased one of these thru dolideals for 23euro in late october (only arrived last week haha) but I was wondering does anyone know the price to fill? when I googled it came up as about 1.50stg, but when I asked my local party shop they quoted me 30 quid!! more than i paid for d flippin thing :O anyone any idea???

Advertisement