Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you study?

• 01-12-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Have being revising for christmas tests and in Biology I have to read the chapter about 10 times before I actually get it? How do I just get it into my head?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What works for one person won't work for another. You need to work out what sort of a learner you are.
    Have you looked at mind-mapping, index cards, that sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I'm one of those people who writes notes for everything but it really depends on the best way for you, personally. Try out a few different things, write out notes or put things on flash cards or even try saying things out loud to yourself.

It's mostly trial and error. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

what are the quickest ways to study? i could be writting note for hours on one topic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

If you really need to write stuff out I advise typing then printing it - its so much quicker and just as helpful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

lainey108 wrote: »
    what are the quickest ways to study? i could be writting note for hours on one topic!!

If you're writing enough notes to publish another book yourself then you're writing too much. Notes should be concise and to the point, there's no need to fill them out with big long sentences and explanations.

What subjects would you be talking about? Take for example, biology. A lot of material can be covered with a simple, labelled diagram. If you were studying the cell structure, draw the cell, label each part, and under each label, maybe in a different coloured pen, write the function of the part. This means that in a small, postcard-sized area you can fit all the information that would take an A4 page to write out (and takes up 3-4 pages in the textbook).

For more theory based subjects, you could try spider diagrams, bullet points, tables, graphs, etc. See what works for you, but writing pages and pages of notes that aren't any more appealing to read than the book is no good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

I find that for Biology and Maths, exam papers are the way to go as you see what questions come up every year.

English, practise exam questions and for your quotes, write them all out and learn them section by section from the sheet. It just makes it look a lot more concise. :D

im doing german,accounting,business and home ec with the usual maths,irish english..
    anyone doing german and business?
    i can never remember these..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I dont do German but yeah, business is pretty hard to remember sometimes. I usually make mnemonics or put myself in the situation of the business owner - e.g what would I do if someone was badmouthing my business? Emergency PR. Its not great to do that for harder things like cartels but its not the worst I find :)

il try your method :) thank you

Advertisement