Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Born smiling while asleep??

Options
  • 01-12-2011 9:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

i notice flashes of a smile on my son (11 days old) when he sleeps ?

is this really a smile or just coincidence ? does it indicate dreaming ?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

They say it's normally wind in newborns.. but my Son definitely used to smile from a couple of weeks old.. when he heard mine or my partners voices he would beam :p

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I always thought it was dreams, or feeling generally good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Caoimhe smiled from day 1:) my big girl didn't smile for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

People say it's wind but my girls smiled all the time when they were newborns and they weren't always windy!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Its wind! When i first saw my son doing this i thought he was the most advanced brilliant baby lol. But smiling properly doesn't usually start until their a few weeks old. My son was aroun 3 or 4 weeks i think,
    Anyway usually the smiles will be accompanied by flickering of the eyelids, all signs of wind. As are grunting type noises in the sleep.
    Personally i found my little guy never had a good sleep if he was doing any of the above and had wind. So i found the best way to get wind up was to lightly bounce him on my knee while rubbing his back. After a few mins it would always come up so it Worked every time for me!
    Thank god now at almost 6 months he is able to get most of the wind up himself as it was very bad in the first few 3 months.
    Btw its not always wind in their tummy causing the smiles but wind in their bowel -well for my little man anyway, he was / still is awful for this lol

contgrats on the little one:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Could be an evolutionary defence mechanism.

Advertisement