Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor dongle w/ Xbox

Options
  • 01-12-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Looking for someone who has had experience using the meteor dongle on the xbox. I'm living in accom with a firewalled interwebz, so in order to play on xbl, I had to set up an ad-hoc wireless network using my laptop as the router. While this is sufficient to connect to live, the connection doesn't maintain, frequently dcing and it's a pretty dire connection when it does connect. I'm wondering if I buy a meteor dongle, will it still be possible for me to set up the ad-hoc using the dongle with my laptop, or will the dongle go straight into the xbox and work Just fine.

Also has anyone any idea what the speeds are like on it and is xbl playable?

Cheers! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

you'd be going ad hoc again. dongle goes into laptop, not xbox - can't install drivers on the xbox. get yourself a cheap crossover cable to link the laptop to xbox just to ensure your getting the bet out of such a setup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

yep works alrite, done it a few times myself all depends on location and signal but should be ok really

but yeah, dongle > laptop > xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

By crossover cable, are you refering to an ethernet cable, or a particular cable type suited for this type of connection?

Thanks for the help so far lads! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

i'm assuming they mean ethernet cable,

connect ethernet wire from laptop to xbox, on your laptop go to control panel then "Network and Sharing Center" then click on the "change adapter settings", you should see your wireless meteor device and a local network, you highlight the two right click and go to bridge connections,

i've tried this before using a o2 dongle and it wouldn't let me bridge them, so i'm not sure if the meteor one will work

did it give a reason for not letting you bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

can't really remember it was so long ago, if memory serves correctly the o2 was seen as a dial up device and would not alllow me to bridge the connection to the xbox

Got it working. What you have to do is enable shared connection on the dongle connection. Got it working perfectly :) Very happy. Thanks everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

yyeah gotta enable the shared connection then it should work when u hook it in with auto settings

bada bing

Was working for a while, back with further issues. Getting the following Error status report

W: 0000 - 000B
    X: 4000 - 1001
    Y: 0000 - 0000
    Z: 0000 - 0000
    ID: 0001 - 0003

Anyone any experience with this error?

EDIT: Now getting the following error:

W: 0000 - 000B
    X: 0600 - F001
    Y: 0000 - 0000
    Z: 0000 - 0000
    ID: 0004 - 0000