Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maderia/cherry cake

Options
  • 01-12-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

I need a recipe for a maderia and cherry cake to fit an 8 inch round cake tin... have plenty for 7 inch round and dont want to have to buy a new tin. Just to be exact I need a recipe for a maderia cake and a cherry cake.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Odlums Madeira cake is grand for an 8" deep tin.

Delis old fashioned cherry cake might need to be doubled up to be as deep as the Madeira.

I love cherry cake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Eviledna wrote: »
    Odlums Madeira cake is grand for an 8" deep tin.

Delis old fashioned cherry cake might need to be doubled up to be as deep as the Madeira.

I love cherry cake :)

Thanks a million for that. Quick question. I was thinking of using the odlums maderia recipe for the cherry cake as well and adding in 250g of cherries. Do you think that would work? Obviously I will be halving cherries and dipping them in flour before adding to mixture(got this as a tip years ago to stop cherries dropping).

eastbono wrote: »
    Thanks a million for that. Quick question. I was thinking of using the odlums maderia recipe for the cherry cake as well and adding in 250g of cherries. Do you think that would work? Obviously I will be halving cherries and dipping them in flour before adding to mixture(got this as a tip years ago to stop cherries dropping).

Yes this will work a treat, have done the same myself many a time. You're spot on with the wash, half-and-flour, make sure they are bone dry or you'll end up with a layer of cherries on the bottom- what my nana used to call a tutti fruity cake :-P

cheers... happy christmas... will tell you how it worked out.

Madeira Cake worked out brilliantly. It took the full hour and three quarters. Very light moist cake and the all in one method was so easy.

Thanks again for the recipe.

• Advertisement

eastbono wrote: »
    Madeira Cake worked out brilliantly. It took the full hour and three quarters. Very light moist cake and the all in one method was so easy.

Thanks again for the recipe.
    Good job, light and moist means it's baked perfectly! Happy Cherrymas :)

Further request.... do you have a tried and tested recipe for mince pies.

I lost all my good recipes when we moved house and only returning to baking after taking a couple of years off from it.

Do you mean for mincemeat itself or pastry for the shop bought filling? I do have a nice rich shortcrust recipe from a 1940's cordon blue book if you'd like? I always just buy the most booze soaked mince :)

Just the pastry recipe thanks. I buy the mince in the jars.

Rich shortcrust pastry

8oz plain flour
    4oz butter
    1oz caster sugar
    1 large egg

Unusual method - makes it more rich:
    Sieve the flour and stir in sugar. Melt the butter in the microwave, leave to cool a little and then mix into flour/sugar until it resembles breadcrumbs. Beat the egg and stir in until a soft dough is formed. Put ball of dough in cling film and rest in the fridge for a half hour. (All this can be done in the food processor either)

For mince pies, this will make 12 deep lidded pies. Preheat your oven to 190 dec C. Roll out on a floured board, between sheets of clingfilm for less sticking if desired, cut out rounds with a cutter or glass, make the base 1/3 wider than lid. Put base in lined or greased metal cupcake tin, spoon in a tbsp of lovely mincemeat and top with lid. You can use a fork to seal the edges, and brush top with a beaten egg to make it glossy.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins until golden.
    Eat in front of a blazing fire in your pjs with whipped cream ;)

• Advertisement

Well the cherry was a tutti fruitti... second or third time only since i made cherry cake... i think this madeira recipe is not heavy enough for cherries.. but hey ho... i dont eat cherry cake... OH and daughter are looking forward to the intense taste of cherries at the bottom of the cake lol... wont be serving it to guests.... making mince pies tomorrow... the only good quality mincemeat I could find was lakeshore... irish made... smell yummy... have a gang for dinner on Sunday so going to serve the pies for dessert with cream and my nice warm stove as suggested lol

edit... will forego pjs till guest are gone lol

Many thanks for the recipes and help.

Mince pies fantastic... pastry gorgeous... my sister in law was asking me where I bought them lol.... making more for xmas.... and will follow instructions to the full in front of fire with pjs lol.

:D Yes the fire and Pjs are a must! Really glad you liked it, that pastry recipe is great for apple pies and everything, even remove the sugar and add some salt and you've got perfect chicken/steak pie pastry!

Advertisement