Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do? Moving in with friend, but who's direct debit to use?

Options
  • 01-12-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Suppose to be moving into an apartment with a mate I've only know a few months at the weekend. It's a 1 year minimum lease. The letting agent will be looking for one of us to provide DD details but I'm not 100% about committing to it just incase goes belly up and I'm sure he's thinking the same. We havnt discussed it yet. I just wanted to ask here first for any advice please. Is there some sort of legal contract we could both sign were we both mush complete the 1 years lease?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Set up a new joint account - pay rent and all bills out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

The letting agent will be looking for one of us to provide DD details
    Are you sure it's a direct debit and not a standing order? If it's an SO then each of you can just do your own standing order for your half of the rent, problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Are you sure it's a direct debit and not a standing order? If it's an SO then each of you can just do your own standing order for your half of the rent, problem solved.

IMHumbleO, you would be foolish to take on a one year fixed term lease in your situation.

What if you don't get on after a few months and you have to break/get out of the fixed term lease? Possibly lose your deposit as well.

Try to negotiate either a Part 4 lease or a periodic lease, both of which are much easier to get out of. Although not as secure, I think either of them would serve you better - though these types of leases may be harder to obtain.

Advertisement