Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for all haters of The Script

Options
  • 01-12-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of hatred going around for The Script.

Think its mainly because they are soooo overplayed on mainstream radio and thus most of their fans are just casual music fans.

I don't mind The Script, they are one of the best Irish bands in recent years but like anyone else I would enjoy it if they experimented more.

So just wondering, would anyone here have a higher opinion of The Script if their songs weren't all just soppy, mushy love songs because that seems to be the main thing affecting their credibility.

What would you all think if they released a song where the lyrics were totally unrelated to heartbreak etc.?

I would like them to write more singalong, eccentric tunes, maybe along the lines of Green Day's "Holiday" or Alice Cooper's "School's Out", maybe something similar to AC/DC's "Highway To Hell".

Please do not abuse other posters. Any personal attacks or insults will result in appropriate infractions/bans.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

They're just shít really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

For a start pretty much all of their fans are casual music fans.

Not quite sure what your definition of experimentation is. But if you would enjoy them more if they experimented more then why not just listen to other bands that do experiment a bit? The Script are puppets for a major label to sell music so they will never be given the chance to experiment, that's if they wanted to.

I like love songs and songs about heartbreak, but Jesus Christ there's tons of bands that can do it better and far more convincingly than The Script.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Boy band. Awful non-music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

karaokeman wrote: »

Think its mainly because they are soooo overplayed on mainstream radio and thus most of their fans are just casual music fans.

I don't mind The Script, they are one of the best Irish bands in recent years but like anyone else I would enjoy it if they experimented more.

So just wondering, would anyone here have a higher opinion of The Script if their songs weren't all just soppy, mushy love songs because that seems to be the main thing affecting their credibility.

What would you all think if they released a song where the lyrics were totally unrelated to heartbreak etc.?

I would like them to write more singalong, eccentric tunes, maybe along the lines of Green Day's "Holiday" or Alice Cooper's "School's Out", maybe something similar to AC/DC's "Highway To Hell".
    1) Get any or preferably all of the following albums:
    - Roman Candle
    - Elliott Smith
    - Either/Or
    - XO
    - Figure 8
    - From a Basement on the Hill
    - New Moon
    2) Listen on repeat.
    3) Forget that you ever listened to such horrendous drivel as The Script.
    4) Begin life anew.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Sinfonia wrote: »
    - Roman Candle
    - Elliott Smith
    - Either/Or
    - XO
    - Figure 8
    - New Moon
    2) Listen on repeat.
    4) Begin life anew.

Seriously, music like that would be lost on him, far far above what they're able for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Its hard to see how a band as safe as The Script could ever experiment in any way whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

I thought they only had one song?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

I do not condone use of The Script but, you really have to admire their music from a Producer's/ Songwriter's standpoint. They write catchy tunes that you hate getting stuck in your head!
    Also, they appeal to muppets...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Exactly. In the space on an hour on the radio, you'll hear what the DJ will describe as 5 or 6 different script songs. He's lying. They only have one song.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The hatred for The Script has nothing to do with them being played all the time on the radio, and all to do with how unrelentingly crap they are. Changing the style of their lyrics to something less mushy won't make them any more credible. They'll still be The Script and and will sound like The Script except with different lyrics, and therefore they will continue to be crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Sinfonia wrote: »
    - Roman Candle
    - Elliott Smith
    - Either/Or
    - XO
    - Figure 8
    - New Moon
    2) Listen on repeat.
    4) Begin life anew.

All those albums you listed are from Elliot Smith. Actually like where you're going with this, seen as how he was such a talented singer-songwriter. Some of his stuff is a bit more folkey than what The Script would usually do, but that could be interesting as well.
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    For a start pretty much all of their fans are casual music fans.

Not quite sure what your definition of experimentation is. But if you would enjoy them more if they experimented more then why not just listen to other bands that do experiment a bit? The Script are puppets for a major label to sell music so they will never be given the chance to experiment, that's if they wanted to.

I like love songs and songs about heartbreak, but Jesus Christ there's tons of bands that can do it better and far more convincingly than The Script.

I do listen to experimental bands. I've said this many, many times I am open to all types of music and enjoy a little bit of everything barr rap. The Script just happens to be one of those bands I am a casual fan of but would appreciate more if their music was less mainstream-orientated.

And you're right plenty of bands can do love songs more convincingly than The Script, I am yet to hear a "Fix You" from these guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Does everyone here look down on people who listen to bands they don't? It sure seems that way.

The Script are just a bit bland, they bore me. In the vein of Oasis, they have fairly terrible lyrics accompanied by a catchy melody. That's not enough to keep me interested. Nothing against anyone else who listens to them, but thats my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

fitz0 wrote: »
    Does everyone here look down on people who listen to bands they don't? It sure seems that way.

The Script are just a bit bland, they bore me. In the vein of Oasis, they have fairly terrible lyrics accompanied by a catchy melody.

You can't compare a band like Oasis to The Script. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

True
    Oasis are nowhere near as good as the script*

*I really dont rate the script but they are still > Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I don't dislike them, I quite like them actually when it comes down to it. I don't dislike any music really except bieber and the rest of the Disney corporate brigade but then again I dislike what the music industry has done to music in their cases rather than the acts themselves. The Script play their own instruments and write decent catchy loved up up tunes, The Beatles did the same Early on(controversial:pac: who knows they're early in their career maybe we'll get a Sgt. Pepper out of them yet.) I'm starting to think if the Script did experiment they'd be abused for it by the very people calling them boring now on Boards. some bands end up in the list of bands it's cool to hate and no matter how good they are they'll never escape.

It's only when I hear "For the first time" for the 30th time that hour on the radio at work that i start to dislike it. maybe music comes down to liking something until you become oversatuarated by it

All my favourite music is hardly played on the radio as its old so you only hear it on the classic rock shows. Maybe if it was played as constantly as Gaga as the other big acts of today I'd be less inclined to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Jesus. The music snobbery in this thread is mind blowing.

The Script have some good songs, so do the Doors. I enjoy both equally. The same as I sometimes enjoy Soundgarden or Tool, yet like a few songs from JoJo.

You dont enjoy their music? Who gives a ****? Someone somewhere does or they wouldnt be around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Jumpy wrote: »
    Who gives a ****? Someone somewhere does or they wouldnt be around.

people once said the same thing about the nazis :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Oh no you di-hent just Godwin me sista. Nah uh.

^^^
    This thread has been Godwin's law'd already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Shockingly I just did. And the world didn't end. Oasis may be a better (if not greatly so) band but it's still my opinion that they have simplistic, often poor lyrics accompanied by very catchy melodies and that's where their appeal comes from. But this isn't a thread about Oasis, it was the most apt comparison that came to mind.

• Advertisement

Poor lyrics and catchy melodies is this thread about early Beatles or the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

arodabomb wrote: »

Exactly. In the space on an hour on the radio, you'll hear what the DJ will describe as 5 or 6 different script songs. He's lying. They only have one song.
    Just to clarify, they don't have one song. Their producer does. Hope this helps!
    If fairness though, they do deliver exactly as advertised. Following the script....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I do listen to experimental bands. I've said this many, many times I am open to all types of music and enjoy a little bit of everything barr rap. The Script just happens to be one of those bands I am a casual fan of but would appreciate more if their music was less mainstream-orientated.

And you're right plenty of bands can do love songs more convincingly than The Script, I am yet to hear a "Fix You" from these guys.
    What experimental artists in particular do you listen to?

I wouldn't even say Coldplay can do love songs convincingly. Try The Field Mice or even The Cure.

What experimental artists in particular do you listen to?

RHCP
    Meat Loaf
    Coldplay
    The Killers
    U2
    The Beatles (some of their later stuff, not too big on the early material)
    Metallica
    James Blunt
    Jimmy MacCarthy
    Noel Gallagher
    Robbie Williams
    Guns 'n' Roses
    Foreigner
    REO Speedwagon

Those are the few that come to mind but then there's other bands I like but I would prefer if they were more experimental. Thats where The Script, The Fray, Kings of Leon and so fort come in.
    I wouldn't even say Coldplay can do love songs convincingly. Try The Field Mice or even The Cure.

Both are not as good as Coldplay. Sorry but I am a diehard Coldplay fan, themselves U2 and Robbie are up there as my three favourite music acts.

fitz0 wrote: »
    Shockingly I just did. And the world didn't end. Oasis may be a better (if not greatly so) band but it's still my opinion that they have simplistic, often poor lyrics accompanied by very catchy melodies and that's where their appeal comes from. But this isn't a thread about Oasis, it was the most apt comparison that came to mind.

While this may be true, Oasis were still one of the biggest band's of the nineties whether you liked them or not. I personally didn't, but I can see they had lasting appeal whereas no one will remember who The Script were this time next year. Anyone remember an other over-hyped, over here band called The Thrills? Thought not.

RHCP
    Coldplay
    The Killers
    James Blunt
    Noel Gallagher
    Robbie Williams

You need to look up the definition of experimental, when it comes to artists, cause you obviously have it confused with something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I love them. I don't see the problem with them at all? Their songs are catchy, doesn't mean they're "non music". They don't claim to be anything else.

Their last album got to number 3 in America, fair play to them i say.

Only 2 things annoy me about them: - They are way too overplayed on radio (not their fault). - The singer seems to have developed an American accent, just annoys me thats all!

You need to look up the definition of experimental, when it comes to artists, cause you obviously have it confused with something else.

Have you heard full albums in chronology by the artists I listed?

If your judging them as non-experimental by just what gets played on the radio you won't be able to make a very informed judgement.
    While this may be true, Oasis were still one of the biggest band's of the nineties whether you liked them or not. I personally didn't, but I can see they had lasting appeal whereas no one will remember who The Script were this time next year. Anyone remember an other over-hyped, over here band called The Thrills? Thought not.

Did The Thrills play to 50,000 people at Landsdowne Road, three months after playing to 42,000 people at three O2 dates and before another large crowd at Oxegen's main stage, I don't think so.

The Thrills are no where near as successful as The Script are and The Script will most certainly be still known this time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Yes people would like them then, because then they wouldn't be shite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

<Snip>

Advertisement