Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for all haters of The Script

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

<Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

karaokeman wrote: »
    Have you heard full albums in chronology by the artists I listed?

If your judging them as non-experimental by just what gets played on the radio you won't be able to make a very informed judgement.

Did The Thrills play to 50,000 people at Landsdowne Road, three months after playing to 42,000 people at three O2 dates and before another large crowd at Oxegen's main stage, I don't think so.

The Thrills are no where near as successful as The Script are and The Script will most certainly be still known this time next year.

I never said The Thrills were more successful than The Script. I said that they are/were as over-hyped just cause they are Irish. They are both equally as ****e as one another.

So what if they played to 50,000 people at Landsdowne and 42,000 at the O2?! Rubbish like The Saturdays, Spice Girls and Girls Aloud can do that too. Doesn't make them good. Just shows how many people have a horrible taste in music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

This thread is about The Script, not posters. Let's keep it about music please. Any more personal abuse or accusations of trolling will result in infractions/bans as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I never said The Thrills were more successful than The Script. I said that they are/were as over-hyped just cause they are Irish. They are both equally as ****e as one another.

So what if they played to 50,000 people at Landsdowne and 42,000 at the O2?! Rubbish like The Saturdays, Spice Girls and Girls Aloud can do that too. Doesn't make them good. Just shows how many people have a horrible taste in music.

The difference with The Saturdays, the Spice Girls and Girls Aloud is that they have had a couple of hits and people still know about them.

I only remember The Thrills by that one song "One Horse Town", if they never released it I don't think I would know them at all. With Girls Aloud, if they never released "Sound of The Underground" it would be likely I'd still have heard "Jump".

I agree musical credibility is not justified by how many tickets a band can sell, all I'm saying is that with The Script's recent success it is very likely their appeal will last a lot longer than just another year.

RHCP
    Meat Loaf
    Coldplay
    The Killers
    U2
    The Beatles (some of their later stuff, not too big on the early material)
    Metallica
    James Blunt
    Jimmy MacCarthy
    Noel Gallagher
    Robbie Williams
    Guns 'n' Roses
    Foreigner
    REO Speedwagon

You should check out;
    Alvin Lucier
    La Monte Young
    Gyorgi Ligeti (Poeme Symphonique for 100 Metronomes)
    Steve Reich (Come Out, It's Gonna Rain)
    John Cage (his prepared piano stuff)

and maybe some free improv/jazz stuff like Derek Bailey, late John Coltrane (Ascension, Interstellar Space), Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz...

That's experimental music ;)

• Advertisement

I only remember The Thrills by that one song "One Horse Town", if they never released it I don't think I would know them at all. With Girls Aloud, if they never released "Sound of The Underground" it would be likely I'd still have heard "Jump".

If Sound of the Underground wasn't a massive hit, Girls Aloud wouldn't have had the chance to make Jump, they would've been thrown because they weren't a successful business venture. Lucky for them, they were very successful, lots of people made lots of money, and they've been sustaining a career that way for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Every single Script song is about his girlfriend dumping him and him going on the p!ss.

He must be one miserable, albeit rich so and so!

:)

El Pr0n wrote: »
    You should check out;
    Alvin Lucier
    La Monte Young
    Gyorgi Ligeti (Poeme Symphonique for 100 Metronomes)
    Steve Reich (Come Out, It's Gonna Rain)
    John Cage (his prepared piano stuff)

and maybe some free improv/jazz stuff like Derek Bailey, late John Coltrane (Ascension, Interstellar Space), Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz...

That's experimental music ;)

Thanks, I will certainly check them out when I have a chance.

I haven't heard a lot of jazz music, more because I haven't had the time than not liking it.

With regards to The Script, I reckon they should try and do some more traditional rock 'n' roll stuff before they delve into something much different from what they do. If they had any material like Guns 'n' Roses, Whitesnake, AC/DC and Bon Jovi that would be a good route to go down.

Maybe The Script shouldn't rule out love songs entirely but write songs that are not all about lust, heartbreak or anything severe, which is what most of their stuff delves into. If they stick to love songs for a while I would be more interested to hear something thats not as depressing, something like "Sweet Child 'o' Mine".

Thanks, I will certainly check them out when I have a chance.

I haven't heard a lot of jazz music, more because I haven't had the time than not liking it.

With regards to The Script, I reckon they should try and do some more traditional rock 'n' roll stuff before they delve into something much different from what they do. If they had any material like Guns 'n' Roses, Whitesnake, AC/DC and Bon Jovi that would be a good route to go down.

Maybe The Script shouldn't rule out love songs entirely but write songs that are not all about lust, heartbreak or anything severe, which is what most of their stuff delves into. If they stick to love songs for a while I would be more interested to hear something thats not as depressing, something like "Sweet Child 'o' Mine".

So they should be more experimental, and sound more like bands from the 80s? Alright... :pac:

You know what they really should do? Whatever they want. They're a band, they make the music they're into. They should keep doing that, and if we don't like what they do, or think they should do something different, we should just not bother listening to them.

For me, anyway, that means continuing not bothering to listen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

RHCP
    Meat Loaf
    Coldplay
    The Killers
    U2
    The Beatles (some of their later stuff, not too big on the early material)
    Metallica
    James Blunt
    Jimmy MacCarthy
    Noel Gallagher
    Robbie Williams
    Guns 'n' Roses
    Foreigner
    REO Speedwagon
    Oh dear... seriously I just give up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Songs? Surely you mean their song which the alter ever so slightly and re release under different titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't like them because I think they're boring and generic. Their songs aren't very good either, which obviously doesn't help. There are far worse bands out there though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

James Blunt = experimental.

/gives up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I always thought Lou Reed propping his guitar up against his amp and recording the resultant bone shattering feedback was experimental. I give up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I've nothing against homosexuals, but everyone who enjoys the script is a homosexual.

Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I think The Script would be good if they just changed their sound and band members and changed their name to 'The Suicidal Monkey Joyriders'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't really understand your point. Are you asking if people would like The Script if they sounded like a totally different band? :confused:
    I would like them to write more singalong, eccentric tunes, maybe along the lines of Green Day's "Holiday" or Alice Cooper's "School's Out", maybe something similar to AC/DC's "Highway To Hell".
    On a similar note I'd like Alexandra Burke if she sounded more like Joni Mitchell. I'd be a big Gareth Gates fan if he sounded like Chuck Berry. Jedward would be great too if they sounded like Simon And Garfunkel.

I think if you're listening to a band and wishing they sounded completely different then you should just go and listen to a different band.

I don't really understand your point. Are you asking if people would like The Script if they sounded like a totally different band? :confused:

Yes that is my point.

I would like them more if they were more like AC/DC and Green Day.

That doesn't mean I don't listen to AC/DC and Green Day I still do. Also I never said I was a diehard Script fan, what I'm saying is I do enjoy their music but think they could improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I hate the term 'experimental'. I hate how my autotagging software tags any music it can't comprehend 'experimental' or 'alternative'. :(

(I know some stuff is genuinely 'experimental', but it's a term that gets ****ed about an awful lot when it shouldn't.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

This is an extremely hypothetical question. The fact is they are sh*te because they just sing mushy love songs, are boring and never experiment. While it's making them loads of money, I don't think they're going to change, and to be honest, I'm not sure about the level of talent that they have to branch out beyond sh*tty love songs.

In short, no, I don't think I'd like them regardless. I can't imagine a Script experiment setting the world alight.

• Advertisement

Mindkiller wrote: »
    (I know some stuff is genuinely 'experimental', but it's a term that gets ****ed about an awful lot when it shouldn't.)

"Hey guys, I figured I'd play some synthesiser instead of guitar on this tune."

BAND MAKES NEW EXPERIMENTAL ALBUM!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

El Pr0n wrote: »
    "Hey guys, I figured I'd play some synthesiser instead of guitar on this tune."

BAND MAKES NEW EXPERIMENTAL ALBUM!

:pac:

Spot on :) Very very slightly left or right of centre and its experimental. Dont understand all The Script hatred tbh. Personally I think it comes down to the usual Irish attitude towards a local band they arent into getting successful while some other band they like not making it (and probably for a good reason). What The Script offer is directly along the lines of whats populating the charts at the moment. If they are writing music which they like and have found a large audience who like it too, then fair play to them. Dont know how many people hating them are musicians also but been playing music myself for 15 years and (not directed at anyone personally) the amount of jealous "How are they successful! My band are better than them" attitudes out there really annoy me at times. If they arent your thing, dont listen to them. They are successful because they sell and are around at the right time for the market. Theyre not gonna top the All Time Greats charts but they are one of the very few Irish acts that are making a name for themselves worldwide so I say well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

boring, bland music. silly, empty lyrics. I'm not surprised they are successful and fair play to them, but there's nothing in it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Fandango wrote: »
    Spot on :) Very very slightly left or right of centre and its experimental. Dont understand all The Script hatred tbh. Personally I think it comes down to the usual Irish attitude towards a local band they arent into getting successful while some other band they like not making it (and probably for a good reason). What The Script offer is directly along the lines of whats populating the charts at the moment. If they are writing music which they like and have found a large audience who like it too, then fair play to them. Dont know how many people hating them are musicians also but been playing music myself for 15 years and (not directed at anyone personally) the amount of jealous "How are they successful! My band are better than them" attitudes out there really annoy me at times. If they arent your thing, dont listen to them. They are successful because they sell and are around at the right time for the market. Theyre not gonna top the All Time Greats charts but they are one of the very few Irish acts that are making a name for themselves worldwide so I say well done.

I don't think the whole Irish begrudgery argument holds much water tbf. I assumed they were American for a couple of years. Still thought they were cack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I thought they only had one song?
    They've this one as well:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Noticed an ad on telly for their concert DVD (ching ching!)......er why is the singer shouting to the crowd in an american accent?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Goodness me, I am unsure of how anyone could talk-down the severity of their dung.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Like Westlife and Michael Buble etc its music for non music fans, for people who aren't passionate about music.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Think its mainly because they are soooo overplayed on mainstream radio and thus most of their fans are just casual music fans.
    I agree with that to a certain extent. The fact that they are soooo overplayed on radio means that most people realise just how **** their music is. Therefore, you'll hear more people saying just how **** they are. Take them off the radio, then problem is solved. We won't have to listen to their **** music.

Casual fans just annoy me in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Like Westlife and Michael Buble etc its music for non music fans, for people who aren't passionate about music.

Such condescending,snobbish childish rubbish.

You don't need a phd in classical music or own the complete backlog of artisit unknown to be a music fan.

People like what they like and it doesn't make them any less of a fan than anyone else.

I would imagine it must be pretty painful in having such a linear taste in music.

I've said it many times before we can't help what our ears like, if it makes your foot tap it's good. The complexity or lyrical creativity etc doesn't really matter.

Wouldn't it be a blessing to enjoy every song you ever heard?

Advertisement