Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for all haters of The Script

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

stimpson wrote: »
    That's a great analogy. Some people like to eat at McDonalds. Would you argue that it must be good food because so many people eat there?

Burger king is better :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

That's a great analogy. Some people like to eat at McDonalds. Would you argue that it must be good food because so many people eat there?

No and I don't argue that a song must be good because a lot of people like it or buy it.

That was never mentioned, why bring it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

ntlbell wrote: »
    I can appreciate the talent and skill involved in music that doesn't appeal to my "taste" But I can't "learn" to like a certain band/song/genre.

It's like food if you don't try out different types/dishes/etc you obviously won't know if you like the taste or not but you can't force your taste buds to like it. You don't "choose" what tastes good to you, you "choose" what to eat.

You know, I was thinking of bringing the food analogy into it when I made that post, but I thought it would sound too cheesy (If you'll pardon the pun)

But it's true. You can 'teach' yourself to like certain foods. Your taste buds are malleable, as is your ear. I couldn't stand the taste and texture of cottage cheese the first time I tried it but now I eat it regularly. Broccoli and brussell sprouts used to make me gag but now I enjoy it. When you take control over what you eat you can 'learn' to like foods you generally wouldn't have liked before.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    You know, I was thinking of bringing the food analogy into it when I made that post, but I thought it would sound too cheesy (If you'll pardon the pun)

But it's true. You can 'teach' yourself to like certain foods. Your taste buds are malleable, as is your ear. I couldn't stand the taste and texture of cottage cheese the first time I tried it but now I eat it regularly. Broccoli and brussell sprouts used to make me gag but now I enjoy it. When you take control over what you eat you can 'learn' to like foods you generally wouldn't have liked before.

Your taste's changing and "teaching" your taste to change are also completely different.

Your taste buds will mature as you age. I too was never a big fan of greens with age that changed.

But I didn't "teach" myself to like or "learn" to like them. The change could have been to start liking x y or z but i couldn't choose that x y or z

The same way I can't teach myself to like pink shorts or lemon pull overs Or the foods I hated as a child that I still hate I can't learn to like or teach myself.

Teach yourself to enjoy cold liver oil and see how you get on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

The same way I can't teach myself to like pink shorts or lemon pull overs Or the foods I hated as a child that I still hate I can't learn to like or teach myself.

Teach yourself to enjoy cold liver oil and see how you get on ;)
    But all of these things are just plain bad. You can't teach yourself to like them anymore than you can teach yourself to listen to and enjoy drek like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

No and I don't argue that a song must be good because a lot of people like it or buy it.

That was never mentioned, why bring it up?

OK, you said it's difficult to write hit after hit (ie. music that a lot of people like). Do you think it's difficult to make a McDonalds hamburger?

Mindkiller wrote: »
    But all of these things are just plain bad. You can't teach yourself to like them anymore than you can teach yourself to listen to and enjoy drek like this

:eek:

Does he write his own material?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

At the end of the day it all comes down to taste, most people are sheep who listen to bland, insipid music like X Factor "artists", The Script, Westlife, Coldplay etc, read tabloids, watch only big Hollywood films and (dare I say!) support Man U because their peers do, others have a more interesting, quirky and alternative outlook on life and listen to more challenging and original music, read The Times and The Guardian and watch Indie films etc, I fall into the latter category and find people who produce this stuff much more interesting and stimulating and with much more to say about the human condition.

Peace, we outta here. :)

OK, you said it's difficult to write hit after hit (ie. music that a lot of people like). Do you think it's difficult to make a McDonalds hamburger?

Yes it is difficult to write hit after hit, I'm sure consistency is one of the problems for a lot of song writers, writing pop or not.

I couldn't replicate the Mc Donalds hamburger, is it hard for the staff to make one? I wouldn't think so.

Do many take away burgers taste as good as Mc D's ? I would argue they don't. But I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make as no one said popular = good.

There is a lot of popular songs that personally I don't like. That doesn't make it easy and require no talent to make a good pop song.

As I said all ready I'm not a fan of the script but since this thread is gone on I listened to a lot of the tracks and while it's not *AMAZEBALLS* there is some very intelligent lyrics, the guy has a good distinctive voice. I don't really see what's to hate or dislike.

At the end of the day it all comes down to taste, most people are sheep who listen to bland, insipid music like X Factor "artists", The Script, Westlife, Coldplay etc, read tabloids, watch only big Hollywood films and (dare I say!) support Man U because their peers do, others have a more interesting, quirky and alternative outlook on life and listen to more challenging and original music, read The Times and The Guardian and watch Indie films etc, I fall into the latter category and find people who produce this stuff much more interesting and stimulating and with much more to say about the human condition.

I'm quirky, I judge people on what news paper they read and I read the guardian to be like quirky.

What's next? You listen to like BBC Radio 6?

You're outta here? thank f*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Twisting peoples words as usual ntlbell, I read the Guardian because they have great writers and intelligent analysis of the news, not because its quirky, my point was that not everyone has a mainstream outlook on life, (thank goodness).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Most Coldplay fans I know hate bands like Westlife or any sort of X Factor material.

How can you associate U2-influenced bands who write stadium anthems with acts that are mainly geared towards teenage girls?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

El Pr0n wrote: »
    No it isn't. To write a really popular song, most of the time, involves watering down aspects of the music. You have to have a melody everyone can sing along to, lyrics everyone can relate to and understand, timbres everyone is used to hearing.

How many songs have you heard with the exact same chord progression as Jason Mraz's I'm Yours? If you wrote another song with that progression, you'd already be well on the way to having lots of people think your song sounds good.

The whole 'If it's so easy why don't you do it?' argument is the weakest, easiest point you can try to stick to. It's not our job to write hit songs, but we know how to go about it. Just so happens we don't want to waste our time on making empty music :)

You mean like all these songs in here... and they've missed loads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Four chords is showing off, Roadrunner by the Modern Lovers is two* and it's a bloody anthem

*there's a 3rd chord in there, but it's only used a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

smokedeels wrote: »
    Four chords is showing off, Roadrunner by the Modern Lovers is two* and it's a bloody anthem

*there's a 3rd chord in there, but it's only used a few times.

:P

Sinfonia wrote: »

Haha.

I just found loads of tabs for this online, with the important ^ symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Oh please let's not start discussing 4'33"! John Cage derails more threads than any other composer! :P

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Oh please let's not start discussing 4'33"! John Cage derails more threads than any other composer! :P

We've gone from the Script to John Cage in eight pages, the thread had reached it's logical conclusion. Close it up, there's nothing left to say here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I look forward to karaokeman's next thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

"The Script" suck sweaty b**s.

I hate them with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

<Snip>

Did yis not read the OP? Let's keep it about The Script and not members.

Advertisement