Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT contractor in Sydney

Options
  • 01-12-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭

I was wondering can anyone help me with this. I am thinking about moving to Sydney for contracting work. In Ireland I work as an employee so don't know too much about contracting. What I would like to know is what kind of tax I would have to pay on $X/week. Does anyone have any advice on working there as a contractor? Is there any pit falls that I would need to be aware off. It would be a 12 month contract and they would pay for my visa to come over but would have to cover the cost of my own flights and accommodation.

Also how expensive is Sydney to live in with a comfortable lifestyle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

What kinda IT work OP? how much experience, I've been contracting for 6 years in Sydney so can tell you what's what if you supply the info

Wages are pretty good - should be charging anywhere between 400-1200 a day depending on your situation/experience etc

what kind of Visa are they sending out out on? If 457 - who is sponsoring you?
    If you are on a 457 the company must pay for your flight home!

Sydney is expensive but unless you are living a lavish lifestyle you can make a decent amount of $ contracting

as for tax - look at ato.gov.au for tax rates - up to 45% for the big earners, but 30% & 37% is the usual rate
    the tax year in Oz is July-June so if you are lucky you'll get a load of cash back (as you'll only work 2 x 1/2 year period as opposed to 1 year)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hey hussey, what kind of contracting work do you do? Thinking in about a year or so doing some myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

J2EE mainly based on Websphere
    The DB guys charge the huge $

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

It's in the telecom sector. I didn't know about the tax year, that is great news as the job would be starting in Jan/Feb.

Advertisement