Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour vandalising cars in common parking spaces

Options
  • 01-12-2011 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I live in an estate with a parking space outside each house and a couple more spaces in front of my house facing a green. These spaces aren't owned by any one house but are common for the line of houses nearest to them, and are used on a first come first serve basis. Our estate is very near Galway city center and so a lot of chancers who don't live here try and take one of these spaces and then head off into town shopping for the day (despite the no parking signs). One of the neighbours seemingly has taken it upon himself to act as "guardian" of these spaces and now writes "ON PARKING" (thats not a typo, he really writes "on"!) in permanent marker all over any cars parked in these spaces that he suspects don't belong there. While I agree with the sentiment I don't agree with his methods (he should call the clampers or something) and the problem now is he's done this to the cars of friends of mine who were visiting my house at the time (for short periods of time). Am I right in saying that what he is doing is criminal damage and illegal? I haven't caught him in the act but am 100% I know who did it, just don't know which house he lives in so haven't yet confronted him about it. Any advice on what I should do here? Report him to the guards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

KingCong wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that what he is doing is criminal damage and illegal? Any advice on what I should do here? Report him to the guards?

Yes, report it to the Gardai. It certainly is criminal damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

KingCong wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that what he is doing is criminal damage and illegal?

Um, yes it's absolutely criminal damage and illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Great, thanks for confirming. Now to figure out which house he lives in. Half thinking of working from home one of the days and getting someone to park there in the hope of catching him in the act and getting photos/video.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You don't need to know where he lives. The Gardai will find that out quick enough.

Photos/video will help though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Certainly report him. No hesitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Advertisement