Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've got €400 - thoughts?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

I'd suggest a 550ti, you'll see little exta performance for the extra €40 you'll spend on the 6870.

What about everything else? Case, monitor, OS, speakers, mouse/keyboard, hdd?

I'd suggest a 550ti, you'll see little exta performance for the extra €40 you'll spend on the 6870.

What about everything else? Case, monitor, OS, speakers, mouse/keyboard, hdd?

The 6870 is a lot better than the 550 Ti. No point in getting a 550 Ti anyway considering the 6770 is the same performance for €15 less.

deconduo wrote: »
    The 6870 is a lot better than the 550 Ti. No point in getting a 550 Ti anyway considering the 6770 is the same performance for €15 less.

woops, I'm mus-informed then. Pardon me!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

woops, I'm mus-informed then. Pardon me!

Maybe you were thinking of 560

As those 6870 are alot of gpu for the money. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Does the i3 out perform the X4, yea? Interesting... (and good news too). I was looking at an AM3+ board so that when *good* FX chips come out, can do a handy enough upgrade. Also want to allow for Crossfire on the video, so was thinking maybe this board instead (keeps me on budget).

It'll make my future birthday and Christmas present choices much, much easier to deal with if I leave room for upgrades ;)

Shiminay wrote: »
    Does the i3 out perform the X4, yea? Interesting... (and good news too). I was looking at an AM3+ board so that when *good* FX chips come out, can do a handy enough upgrade. Also want to allow for Crossfire on the video, so was thinking maybe this board instead (keeps me on budget).

It'll make my future birthday and Christmas present choices much, much easier to deal with if I leave room for upgrades ;)

That board allows for crossfire, but only x16/x4. You will take a performance hit compared to x8/x8, but only a small one (~5-8%)

It also doesn't have any PCI slots, so make sure thats not a problem before you buy it :P

Yea, no need for PCI and I appreciate that at X16/X4 it'll be a little slower than X8/X8, but it should do the job.

OK, many thanks for the help, putting the order through now, needs to be delivered to Mayo by the 16th when I travel down to build it for my brother :)

The main thing about buying the i3 over and AMd cpu for me would be the potential for replacement with a 2500k or an ivybridge chip in the 1155 socket a year or so from now.

Yea, makes a lot of sense - have a 2500k myself so it's all good. It'll give the brother something to aspire to... :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement