Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two questions , Humidifiers

• 02-12-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me, i bought this Dehumidiifer

http://www.elfinternationalltd.com/catalogue/product/delonghi_des14_dehumidifier/960.html

been getting about 1.5 litres over 24 hours,

do i need to move this around the room,

also is this expensive to run its a Power Consumption: 230W
    i have it on for 48 hours at the Dry Button, which is the highest ,

how long do i need to have it on ???

also can anybody tell me if polystyrene ceiling tiles are a fire hazard and if so why are they been sold in Hardware Stores , i have put them on ceilings and have used some on walls as a insulation on wall,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Polystyrene ceiling tiles are a fire hazard, They are lethal.
    If there was a fire they make so much black smoke you can not see a thing and also produce toxic fumes when burning.
    They also invalidate your home insurance with some companies.
    Having said all that there are some new fire resistant tiles that are OK to use as they do not burn/melt in the same way but they are still a throw back to the seventies are will date your property.
    It doesn't matter if they are brand new they still look as old as the hills.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

faolteam wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me, i bought this Dehumidiifer

http://www.elfinternationalltd.com/catalogue/product/delonghi_des14_dehumidifier/960.html

been getting about 1.5 litres over 24 hours,

do i need to move this around the room,

also is this expensive to run its a Power Consumption: 230W
    i have it on for 48 hours at the Dry Button, which is the highest ,

how long do i need to have it on ???

also can anybody tell me if polystyrene ceiling tiles are a fire hazard and if so why are they been sold in Hardware Stores , i have put them on ceilings and have used some on walls as a insulation on wall,
    Is the dehumidifier being used in a bedroom/sitting room/utility room? I take it you are trying to dry just one room.
    We exhale about 3 cups of water per day - roughly 0.5 L. So if it is in a bedroom that would account for 1/3 of the extracted water.
    Unfortunately, I can't tell you for sure if the remaining 1L per 24 hours indicates a significant damp problem.

The key thing with using a DH to dry a specific room is that air from other areas needs to be excluded. In other words, there is little point in trying to dry one room while potentially damp air from another room is being drawn in, especially if that air comes from outdoors.
    If the room is well sealed while you have the DH on, there should be no need to move it around.
    230w over 48 hours could get fairly expensive alright. Think about having two 100w+ bulbs on for that length of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

230 w for 48 hrs = 11,040 Wh = 11.04 kWh at 18p/kWh = 2 euro.
    You had better give Merkosy a ring to see if thats okay:D

You dont need to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭faolteam

your replies

yes its a 8x6 extension and there is no door to the kitchen so i guess it does have to take teh other room into condensation

but just want to say that the condensation on windows and walls did dry up straight away except we originally had the wallpaper strip with the polystrene that you paste to the wall on it

but did have one problem in a corner were the skirting board in one corner was about 3 inches from edge of skirting board was rotten which i replaced the skirting board and put damp seal on the wall were the skirting board was before i put skirting on it was then i noticed there was a drop of water on the new skirting board

im hoping it was just condensation i dont think its the roof im pretty sure of that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

faolteam wrote: »
    your replies

yes its a 8x6 extension and there is no door to the kitchen so i guess it does have to take teh other room into condensation

but just want to say that the condensation on windows and walls did dry up straight away except we originally had the wallpaper strip with the polystrene that you paste to the wall on it

but did have one problem in a corner were the skirting board in one corner was about 3 inches from edge of skirting board was rotten which i replaced the skirting board and put damp seal on the wall were the skirting board was before i put skirting on it was then i noticed there was a drop of water on the new skirting board

im hoping it was just condensation i dont think its the roof im pretty sure of that
    If your skirting board rotted, then that level of dampness is a serious threat to your health.
    My guess is that there is more than condensation from everyday activity going on.
    One way or the other, there is a problem with excess water getting in, or not getting out.
    You need to check all likely sources of water coming in, damp roof membrane/course, gutters, ceiling, window seals etc.
    It really doesn't sound like condensation to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Your air must be fairly dry or cold. I have a 280w dehumidifier and it will produce 5L of water in about 12-14hrs. It has a humidity readout and I run it if it is above 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭faolteam

slowburner wrote: »
    If your skirting board rotted, then that level of dampness is a serious threat to your health.
    My guess is that there is more than condensation from everyday activity going on.
    One way or the other, there is a problem with excess water getting in, or not getting out.
    You need to check all likely sources of water coming in, damp roof membrane/course, gutters, ceiling, window seals etc.
    It really doesn't sound like condensation to me.

well there is no gutter along that wall , the gutter on other side is fine

what i did notice was that the part were the extension base and the ground there was a 2 inch hole underneath,

the roof was only done about 4 years ago and whate ever was comind down was minute

Advertisement