Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trade assesments help

Options
  • 02-12-2011 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hello folks !

i'm just wondering if someone out there can help me out.
    i'm looking to move back to australia and i'm looking for guys that have done a carpentry skills assesment test. either through TRA or vetasses.
    i'm just trying to find out exactly what the test involves in and what happens when in the test,

is there someone that can help me out ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Hello Daniel

For Carpenters you either go through Vetassess or Victoria University. Vic University is quicker and can be completed whilst you are here in Ireland where in most case you have to travel to UK if you go with Vetassess.

You will find links to Vic Uni process on TRA website - follow it to a tee!

Good Luck, Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 39 danielstook

hi liz,

thanks for taking the time to post a reply !

i am pretty well versed in the route to take for the skills assesment, who to go with etc, i am looking for people who may have taken the carpentry skills test before,

i just want to have an idea of what could be in store, what kind of practicle tests do they carry out, how long tests are, do they try to cover alot of areas, etc !

just want to be clear on what could be in store !

thanks again!

It is important that details are not put on an online forum but in general I can say that I have yet to see a qualified carpenter struggle with Vic Uni process. So competent carpenters will have no worries.

hi liz,

sorry,
    but do you mind what do you work at?
    you seem quiet familar with my questions !

as for above, i'm sure its not a great idea to discuss in detail about trade assesments in a forum, as you might have every tom, dick and harry chancing their arm!

but i'm just looking for general information, all the info that i find on the assesments, never tells much about the tests themselves, just a company saying they can be done.

i guess i will just have to contact a company myself and see what they have to say.
    although liz, you are the first to mention victoria university !

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

iam a qualified carpenter and joiner, and i got my trade recognised through TRA. i didn't have to do any assesments. you only have to do assesments if you don't haven't completed an apprenticeship and got you final papers here in ireland.

in my case i just sent them copies of my ttrade papers, exam results, proof of my apprenticeship and letters from my employer/s to say that i have the relevant experience and have been working in my profession for the last 2yrs.
    whole thing took about a month

• Advertisement

Hello Danielstook...i work in this area hence my knowledge. The assessment process for some trade occupations (such as carpenters) changed last Dec. For Perm Residency visas that require a skill assessment as part of the process TRA have appointed Vetassess or Vic Uni to conduct these assessment. The downside is the cost but the upside of this change is that applicants without trade papers can still go through the skill assessment process without having to go to a commercial company to have skills assessed etc. Experienced tradespeople should have no problems with the Vic Uni process and the key is detailed evidence of your competency in the paper application you send over in advance of the skype interview. Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Liz, would you have any useful info o. Any changes made to getting the Australian electrical Licence.

I'm in Sydney, I heard Adelaide was the place to go but has it changed or is there an Australia wide license comingin?

ok, thanks liz.

i am willing to take the skills test no problem. but does it make any difference if i do the test in oz or can i do it here in ireland ?

i did look at the vic uni site, but it doesn't say much about where i can do the skills assesment.

so if the tra has appointed vetasses and vic university, does that mean all the other commercial companies are no longer providing the service, or are they not recommended. ?

@Johnnyfruitcake - try licencerecognition.gov.au as a starting point

@daniel - under the new TRA criteria for a skilled visa you do not need to go through the commercial companies you have vetassess or vic university. The Vic Uni in most cases is a detailed paper application followed by a Skype interview at a designated location near you as it needs to be supervised. For a skilled visa applicant here is your starting point and follow the link to Vic Uni - http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/SkillsAssess/TRA/OffshoreAssessment/Pages/overview.aspx

Liz

thanks liz,

i just found out about what you mentioned, it turns out that a practical test may not even need to be done. if the application is up to standard and of course the interview through skype.

so liz, if it came to taking a practical test, would it be better if i travelled to melbourne to do this, i'm thinking this may be a good way to go!

or even to take the interview in oz ! would it be better to be face to face with the interviewer?

so after asking this, would it be cheaper to apply for the skills assesment if i was in oz or even quicker to process the application?

thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 gitterbug

In general do you guys have any idea what the average total cost of this is!

gitterbug,

from what i have found out in the last week,
    Application Fee for Paper based Assessment-all occupations: AUD $650 Technical Interview: AUD $1550
    Licensed occupations - Technical Interview: AUD $1750.

licensed occupations, refers to such trades needing a licence, such as an electrican.

so gitterbug, if like me, and you are a carpenter, then the bones of 1700 euro.

@daniel....i see no reason why a competent carpenter from Ireland would need to go down the practical route and so far i haven't seen any cases where this has happened....i suggest you work on your paper application and provide more than enough supporting documents and address the next stage as it happens...L

hi liz,

to be honest, i have just found out that the practical test is at the discretion of the person who conducts the technical interview through skype.

untill now, i was under the impression that every assesment included a practical test. when i say this, i mean under my circumstances, a carpenter without any formal qualifications from ireland.

i rang vetasses in oz and found out that there is a lenghty waiting time on the assesment. but the quicker i can get the paper work organised then, i can see what way things are for the next step. just as you said liz !

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jellybean2010

Just wondering, if an electrician does the skilled assessement for visa, do they still have to go and get an electrical licence to work as an electrician when they arrive in australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Just wondering, if an electrician does the skilled assessement for visa, do they still have to go and get an electrical licence to work as an electrician when they arrive in australia?
    Yes you will still have to get an electrical licence. They are completely different things. The skills assessment may allow you to apply to sit the course to get your electrical licence in some states. In other states you will need to work as a trade assistant for anything up to a year while filing in a logbook in order to sit the exam. What state do you intend to work in?

Advertisement