Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop Suggestions

Options
  • 02-12-2011 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be in Galway over the weekend & am looking for suggestions for shops for two things;

- Jewellery... something a bit "unusual" for the missus. Definitely not claddagh or your standard high street jewellery shop. Don't mind the price if it's something worthwhile.

- Mens suits. Don't mind if it's high street as long as it's not an oulfella's suit shop like Louis Copeland.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

For jewellery I'd check out the design shop in judy greens pottery on Kirwans lane, Kilkenny design on high street and especially the winding stair on mainguard st. None of those will break the bank, but you'll get really unusual pieces, and don't forget the market on Saturday too!
    Ooh also try the bridge mills, there's a guy in there that does the most amazing silver work, makes really unique swan/nature themed pieces.

For suits try Anthony Ryans on shop st, good selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

For suits, I find topman, and river island do good casual going out suits.

Anthony Ryans, One in eyre square remus? do some good stuff. Hanley and co just off eyre square a
    has a huge selection little pricey but some good offers and helpfull staff.

Jewelry ain't my thing though sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Twice as nice on Quay St often has unusual jewellery.
    +1 for Winding Stair and BIG +1 for guy in bridge mills - his stuff ain't cheap but it is pretty incredible. My friends got their wedding rings made with him.

Hnaleys menswear on shop street, right across from Logues & GBC do seriously nice suits

There's also Louis Copeland on merchants rd

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭deltakilo

+1 for Hanley & Co.
    Got my wedding suit and suits for best men there.
    Good selection for most tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

- Jewellery... something a bit "unusual" for the missus. Definitely not claddagh or your standard high street jewellery shop. Don't mind the price if it's something worthwhile.

- Mens suits. Don't mind if it's high street as long as it's not an oulfella's suit shop like Louis Copeland.

1. Jewellery nest to the Townhouse (bottom of Quay Street and turn left) - Cobwebs if you don't mind the price. There's not really a great selection in Galway between cheap tat and high end. The only real other high end place would by Hartmanns but that can be a bit "old womany" if you get me. It's the kind of place that thinks Rolex epitomises class. Inisbofin's recommendations for jewellery are good, other than I'd disagree on Twice as Nice. I think it's horrendously expensive for what you get.

2. Louis Copeland's - you've definitely got the wrong impression. They give excellent service and significant discounts if you just ask for them. I'm a bit of a chubby fecker and the last time I was there they let out a shirt for me by half and inch by the time I'd finished paying! - I thought I'd have to call back to collect it. They always have the latest cuts, fabrics etc with a really good stock of Italian suits and great casual stuff as well.

The only other with a goodish selection (imo) is Hanley's but I never go there anymore as the few times I've been there the staff have been insufferably rude.

Topman, as its then CEO said a few years ago, is fine if you want to look like the defendant. River Island I'd put in the same category. Anthony Ryan's is the oul fellows shop that you're trying to avoid :D

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Pandora jewellery right beside Fallers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Pandora jewellery right beside Fallers.

Depending on the age of the OP's "missus", that might be perfect. They're a chain that are quite popular with some younger girls right now (I sound like I'm 90 - I'm not, I swear)! The particular shop is owned by Fallers so maybe you could ask them that in the case that she doesn't like what you get, could she get something as an exchange in Fallers instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

For suits I'd try Geraghtys on Lombard Street, beside the market on Saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Wow... I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.. very much appreciated. I'll post back here after the weekend when I see how I get on.

Cheers again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Well, I ended up going to all the jewellery shops & settled for something in Kilkenny.. they've some nice funky German stuff there as well as the Irish stuff they promote.

Suit-wise, I picked up some trousers in River Island to go with a jacket I have - saved a few quid there, which I then spent in a really cool bookshop around the corner from Judy Greens!

A real buzz about the place on Saturday with the market and the pubs, restaurants & shops were all doing a good trade which is great to see.

Thanks to everyone again for the suggestions - I wouldn't have found what I was looking for without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

churchview wrote: »
    Anthony Ryan's is the oul fellows shop that you're trying to avoid :D

Lol! It really is isn't it? Still I've gotten good service there even tho I was only looking for a cheap jacket.

I only went in to Hanley & Co for the first time a week ago and was impressed by the selection. It does smack of a place whre you'll drop a packet. Can't comment on the service. Thanks for the tip for Copelands. I walk by all the time and never once thought to pop in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

1 Cobwebs or man in bridge mills will do a bespoke piece.

2 A Ryans.

3 Enjoy weekend :)

Advertisement