Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other way of bleeding a radiator?

• 02-12-2011 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

The top of my radiator is cold so it obviously needs to be bled. However, the screw that the key turns has broken off! (i.e. the broken part is still in it, but there is nothing for the key to grip to) Is there anything else I can do? It's the main bedroom one, so it needs to be done esp. coming into winter, and also there's a new baby there.

I can't afford a new radiator!

THanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

What type of rad is it? Maybe post a picture of it if you are unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

Hi not sure if this would work, but if you could turn of both the in and out to the radiator and then screw off the fitting that holds the bleed screw (there should be no pressure has the rad is turned off) and replace it with a new one or one from another rad that does not need to be bleeded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Pliers to grab the broken bit of the key?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭golfbgud

glenkeo wrote: »
    Hi not sure if this would work, but if you could turn of both the in and out to the radiator and then screw off the fitting that holds the bleed screw (there should be no pressure has the rad is turned off) and replace it with a new one or one from another rad that does not need to be bleeded

Some bleed screws are tapped straight into radiator (I have same problem).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

This not ideal but for worst case scenario you could drill a tiny hole in the top of the rad and screw in a self tapper with a washer , as i said its not ideal , but it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I had this problem before. I used a hacksaw to cut a groove into the top of the screw and gently opened it with a flat head screwdriver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

If you are out of luck with the above options, you can loosen the taps drop the radiator forward to the ground so that the taps are at the highest point, then loosen one of the taps further until the air comes out.

Advertisement