Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on where you buy stock / equipment?

Options
  • 02-12-2011 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭

Was out in Gulliver’s Retail Park this afternoon and dropped into Petmania to pick up some holiday blocks for our tanks as we'll be away for the next week. Was absolutely shocked to see their axolotyl tank: one floating dead and the other on his way out. Other half got so upset she ended up in tears (as an albino axolotyl tank is our next planned purchase and something she's wanted for years).

It put me completely off doing business with them. Such a complete disregard for livestock disgusted me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Don't know where that place is Sleepy but I wouldn't be giving them any of my cash. I buy from Seahorse in Ballymount and Aquatic village in Brittas. Both shops top quality and give excellent advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

We buy from 4 places only.

1-Seahorse Aquariams in Balymount
    2-Fins,Furs,Feathers in Swords
    3-MaxiZoo in Clearwater Finglas
    4-Kinsealy Pet Store on the Malahide Road,Kinsealy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Don't know where that place is Sleepy but I wouldn't be giving them any of my cash. I buy from Seahorse in Ballymount and Aquatic village in Brittas. Both shops top quality and give excellent advice.

Its up in Northwood beside Homebase,Cost Plus Sofas and the new McDonalds.

Their fish keeping abilites would not be what I would call good.:(

In my experience, most general pet shops are terrible at the fish. Wrongly labelled tanks and dead fish are the norm. Go to a dedicated fish shop and you wont be disappointed. Seahorse are particularly good and Aquatic Village a close second even though the owner can be a bit of a smart ass. Would highly recommend both.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

seahorse aquariums
    fins fur feathers
    fintastic aquatics
    kinsealy
    always wanted to head down to maiden head but havnt yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

for equipment when i have rung around for quotes, the maxizoo in finglas has been great value

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

maiden head is amazing was there just last week serious amount of fish and a decent price for them. petmania is way to dear for fish and poor quailty i bought a betta from there it died and they only offer a 24 hour gaurantee on fish. seahorse is very good top quailty fish and a seven day gaurantee on fish reasonable prices to

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I usually buy from Pet Palace or Seahorse. I'll be getting all my livestock from Seahorse in future. For the last while Pet Palace has been great for picking up plants on my way home, but there is the occasional dead fish in there which does put me off buying fish from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Another big +1 for Seahorse
    The shop on Patrick St in Dun Laoghaire
    Petstop in Carrickmines for hardware but I wouldn't buy livestock there...

Another big +1 for Seahorse
    The shop on Patrick St in Dun Laoghaire
    Petstop in Carrickmines for hardware but I wouldn't buy livestock there...

Totally agree. I had a nasty experience with some fish I got off them. Definitely wouldn't buy anything fish from them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was in seahorse for the first time today and aside from how awesome it was to finally get into the place to have a look around, one of the first things that struck me was the lack of dead fish anywhere, despite it having several orders of magnitude more fish than any other pet store i've been in, and that said it all for me tbh.

everywhere else seems to take dead livestock as a part of doing business, but the only dead fish i saw at all in seahorse was being nibbled on in tank of crayfish and i'm pretty sure it was meant to be there. :)

Advertisement