Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best format for Youtube H.264

Options
  • 02-12-2011 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

So iv got some raw footage from my camera whihc is MOV H.264 but i hear its not good to edit with. What format would be the best to encode it to for viewing on youtube. Im on windows and using premiere pro.

Also what program do you guys use to encode video? I hear streamclip is nice and handy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Your camera records h.264?

That's a great codec for uploading to Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Your camera records h.264?

That's a great codec for uploading to Youtube.
    As far as I know its a mov file with h.264 compression. But I hear its better to transcode the file to make it a more edit friendly format

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

MpegStreamClip is my weapon of choice. Edit using ProRes422LT at 100% quality and 1080p. You should be able to download it for free if you don't have it now. Much easier to work with then h.264 but this codec is superb as your final render.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Premiere can work with .H264, it's not a problem. People might mean that it's better to edit with uncompressed lossless footage, but once it's been compressed to a format like H.264 the damage has been done quality wise. Lossless footage is also huge and will slow down your PC. Unless your having a particular problem I wouldn't worry about it, youtube encodes the footage as H.264 when you upload it so it's a perfect format for youtube.

Do not edit with h.264. It'll play sluggishly on your pc whereas uncompressed footage will scrub smoothly.

I've got a high spec pc and need to transcode to ProRes to edit comfortably. This is a common practice amongst video professionals. You're putting unnecessary strain on your processor by working with compressed footage.

Also it will only be roughly twice the file size of compressed footage, a non-issue in my book.

Remember, you're not editing uncompressed footage to prevent "damage" it's just for smooth playback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've never had any issues with compressed video, no more so that editing a file that's a couple of gigabytes.

Well for some :) You're hardly in the majority though and it's still bad practice to edit compressed footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭IPR_Iain

Well i edit and playback/scrub through HD h264 all the time. no issue, premier pro will encode everything you need at the end of your edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Im confused. So is the raw footage coming out of my camera uncompressed or compressed? Also is proRes an apple format or is it ok to use on windows?

It's compressed; h.264 is a compressed codec. ProRes is fine to use on a windows machine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement