Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new stove?

Options
  • 02-12-2011 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭

I came downstairs this morning to find a pool of water on my kitchen floor - the back boiler had burst on my range.

I've been quoted €590 for a new boiler, and it's just not worth it, as we've had the range for quite a while now.

So, looking for a stove to run 5-6 radiators, and give about 5kW - 7kW heat output, as well.

Anyone any recommmendations as to which stove/where to buy at a reasonable price?
    This is one Christmas "present" I hadn't planned to buy. I replaced that boiler about two years ago. Would've expected it to last a bit longer!:(

We've removed the range. Hoping to have the stove installed by tomorrow night, so would prefer suppliers located in Donegal, if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's a good thread in the plumbing & heating forum. Well worth a read to get some ideas on the various type of stoves on the market. After that its just a matter of ringing round a few suppliers locally to see who stocks what and the cost obviously before you head off for a more detailed look.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

Donegal heating showroom in letterkenny its down opp donegal gas , they have a large selection of top quality stoves from 300 euro up

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

I bought a stove from the place beside Shapla in Lk called evergreen stoves. I am very pleased with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Thanks, guys.

I had a look at a couple of shops, yesterday, though I didn't know the place beside Shapla existed.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between a Stanley Erin, and a Mulberry Beckett.

I've posted over in the plumbing & heating forum, asking about ease of changing the boiler.
    Anyone here any experience of these stoves?
    (or can anyone recommend a stove that will run about 8 radiators, and give about 5kW output to room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

either of those two you mentioned would do 8+ rads, I almost bought a Stanley Erin a few months ago, but was advised against it as the central heating tank was more than 20 feet away from where the stove was going to be installed.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Northwestart.

The main issue is replacing the boiler, whenever it becomes necessary.
    I've been told that you have to pretty much dismantle the Erin to replace the boiler, I don't know how accurate that is - but it's enough to put me off! By the time you'd buy the boiler (€700-800 for either of those two), and then pay a plumber for the extra labour involved, you'd be a well to buy a new stove!:eek:
    I don't want a disposable stove:p:D - if I did I'd buy one of the steel stoves with the integrated boiler, they're cheaper, and since there are no joints, there's no chance of warping destroying the seals!

I know the boiler is easily replaced on the Stanley Aisling, but the flue is at the back, and I'd prefer it at the top, so the stove doesn't protrude too far into the room.

The whole thing is fast becoming a royal pain, since quite a few of the dealers are very cagey when you start asking about replacement boilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 martblue

could always check the free ads paper to see is there a range similar to yours which may have a back boiler in, or even might pick up the boiler..You never know what might turn up!!

Unlikely, tbh.

The range has served me well, but it's time is up.
    Production was discontinued in favour of a newer model 5-6 years ago, so the chances of finding one with a good boiler are pretty much zero.

Anyway, though it was a good range in its day, the stoves are a lot more efficient on fuel, so it would seem to be the way to go.

Advertisement