Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bar in Dublin City Centre for a quiet drink at the weekend

Options
  • 02-12-2011 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi there

I was wondering if someone could help me please? I have a friend coming over from England at the weekend and I was wondering are there any good pubs in the City Centre for a quiet drink at the weekend in the evening time?

I haven't seen this friend in a long time so it would be cool to have chat rather than shout at each other all night. Potentially somewhere that has booths would be awesome or at least somewhere where a comfortable seat is guaranteed!

Like usually I love busy, noisy pubs (Long Bar, Stags head) but because it's just the two of us it would be cool just to relax and chill out. We'll probably end up going somewhere like Templebar or up around Camden afterwards and go to a few of the touristy places!

Also sometime during the weekend we'll probably go and play pool and I was wondering if there are any good spots / bars / pubs to play pool in? Somewhere that is free of knackers would be good!

I was reading on this site that the Palace on Camden Street has pool tables but I can't see it listed on their website and the last time I was at the Palace (in August) it was just a club!

Is Davy Byrne's any good on Friday Saturday night? What about Cafe en Seine? I don't want to go somewhere snobby or posh like!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

Messrs McGuire can be quite relaxed methinks.. though i can't say that with certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Hi
    I was reading on this site that the Palace on Camden Street has pool tables but I can't see it listed on their website and the last time I was at the Palace (in August) it was just a club!

That's upstairs, the middle floor is open during the day that's where the pool tables are.

What about Grogans on Sth William St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was in Cassidy's on Westmoreland St last week, and would certainly recommend it for what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

TP Smith's beside the Jervis Luas is quiet enough whenever I go there

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

Toast in Rathmines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

TP Smith's beside the Jervis Luas is quiet enough whenever I go there

+1 for Smiths, very central but quiet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Against the Grain can be good, especially upstairs, and doesn't have loud music or a TV. Likewise L. Mulligan. Grocer if Stoneybatter isn't too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Des wrote: »
    I was in Cassidy's on Westmoreland St last week, and would certainly recommend it for what you are looking for.

I've been meaning to try that place, are they charging Templebar prices?.

I've been meaning to try that place, are they charging Templebar prices?.

Weird story.

There were 8 of us together, and this was the round.

Erdinger Dunkel (500ml bottle)
    O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale (500ml bottle)
    Pint Carlsberg
    West Coast Cooler
    Brandy & Red
    Gin & tonic
    Pint of Guinness
    Coke

The round was bought 4 times, I think.

Each time it was a different price, the first time it was less than 30 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

That shut down in February. Have they reopened it? When did they do that?

• Advertisement

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    That shut down in February. Have they reopened it? When did they do that?

Yeah, re-opened.

Don't know when.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭royalcarlowgc

I the bank on college green on dame street is very good, really good food and service.

Yeah, re-opened.

Don't know when.

Great to hear that, it's a good spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

O'Doodle wrote: »
    I don't want to go somewhere snobby or posh like!
    I the bank on college green on dame street is very good, really good food and service.

No offence to you or anyone else who goes to The Bank, I actually like the place myself, but I always considered it slightly veering towards posh and snobby...

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Great to hear that, it's a good spot!

Don't know if it's the same as it was before. Didn't it used to be a kind of diddly-eye touristy kind of place?

It's not that any more, they had a bloke with decks playing "indie" tunes when I was there. They are selling a range of "foreign" or "speciality" beers, and have board games to use.

I think they did do music like that on some nights Des but it was a great place to go into during the day for any rugby international

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

Bowes and the Palace bar, both on Fleet St, would suit for a quiet afternoon's drinking,also Chaplains on Hawkins St,beside the Screen cinema. All are darling spots!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

Thumbs up for Cassidy's from me. Far cry from what it used to be (tourist orientated, wooden benches and kitsch trad music,) its now a cracking pub with comfy seats, cheap midweek pints (€4 draught,) good tunes, sound staff who throw you out free bags of monster munch and banshee bones with every pint and most importantly, A FUSSBALL TABLE. Love it. Its vying with Brogan's for my local and thats saying something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

hXci wrote: »
    Thumbs up for Cassidy's from me. Far cry from what it used to be (tourist orientated, wooden benches and kitsch trad music,) its now a cracking pub with comfy seats, cheap midweek pints (€4 draught,) good tunes, sound staff who throw you out free bags of monster munch and banshee bones with every pint and most importantly, A FUSSBALL TABLE. Love it. Its vying with Brogan's for my local and thats saying something...

+1 on this.
    Have been into this place a few times and really like it. Especially the music and the cheap pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I do frequent a pub on the Luas track crossing O'Connel Street. I won't specify whether its on the side towards Connolly *or* the side facing Capel Street.

So, yesterday, Thursday night, there I was, wanting and having a QUIET pint in a quiet spot of my own. Half way through the pint, a young woman, early 20's or so, leaves her own bunch of buddies in her own part of the pub

She comes over to my area. Starts chatting on her mobile to her buddy. I am sure it is about "wonderful stories". Except I am not part of the story, I am a passive listener. I am not the slightest bit interested in this beutiful narrative.
    I gulp the rest of the pint. Pay up and leave. :mad:

Now, to balance up the staff in that pub in question.
    I was dumb enough to loose my own mobile phone there. I did'nt know where I had left the phone. Totally my own dumbass fault.
    The staff in the pub gave me the phone on my next visit there. :)

It's not up to staff to direct how customers behave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    +1 for Smiths, very central but quiet.

Was going to say Smiths too.
    But now i'm intrigued by these Cassidy's updates... might have to drop into both for a pint over the weekend myself and report back :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Your man Bressie(ex blizzards)was praising Cassidys on facebook/twitter cause my friend liked the link
    So if a guy like that likes it i wonder if they are trying to be too cool

bigpink wrote: »
    Your man Bressie(ex blizzards)was praising Cassidys on facebook/twitter cause my friend liked the link
    So if a guy like that likes it i wonder if they are trying to be too cool

Actually, I did get a bit of a skinny tie, lensless glasses and hipster fedora vibe off the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

For a quiet pub I'd go Bowes or long haul even.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The Cusack Stand on Camden St or O'Connells next to the Portobello are lovely spots. O'Connells is the biz for a quiet drink - lovely old fashioned pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Is tp smiths the early house?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Does anyone know if the Palace have their pool tables open during the day? Hoping to catch up with a buddy in town on friday afternoon for a couple of pints and some pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tom Harward

rodrob111 wrote: »
    Toast in Rathmines
    great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gaspode wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Palace have their pool tables open during the day? Hoping to catch up with a buddy in town on friday afternoon for a couple of pints and some pool.

Nearly sure they do ye.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cool. Is that the place that used to be Ricardos?

Advertisement