Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bar in Dublin City Centre for a quiet drink at the weekend

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gaspode wrote: »
    Cool. Is that the place that used to be Ricardos?

Passed the Palace there 30 mins ago and it was closed, I know up until October it was open Friday afternoons/evenings. No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    No offence to you or anyone else who goes to The Bank, I actually like the place myself, but I always considered it slightly veering towards posh and snobby...

In any case, it certainly isn't quiet at the weekend. Not quiet during the week either for that matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

+1 on this.
    Have been into this place a few times and really like it. Especially the music and the cheap pints.

This is the sort of answer which makes me distrust responses to this thread. The op is looking for a "quiet drink" but people rate Cassidy's because of the music!

I also don't think the existence of a pool table or not is relevant to the question.

I'm looking for a quiet place that serves alcohol in the city centre this weekend - i.e. no tv, no music, no throngs of people (e.g. the otherwise excellent Grogans). Quiet.

I've come up with four:

1) Club an Chonradh on Harcourt Street (all Irish speaking, though) (my favourite quiet spot in Dublin but this Friday will be a bit noisy because of Culture Night 2013 hence I'm looking elsewhere)

2)Club na Múinteoirí on Parnell Square (although the Góilín singers' club - traditional singing entirely a cappella - will be on on a room off it)

3) The Library bar in the Central Hotel on Exchequer Street. I haven't been there in many years so I don't know if it's still quiet

4) The bar in the Merrion hotel. Expensive, yes, but very quiet and in the centre of Dublin.

Any additional suggestions for September 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Chaplin's bar, near the Screen cinema. Very quiet.

The Library bar is still quiet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

For a quiet drink and conversation I'd suggest Bowe's. It's on Fleet St., about a block or so east of the Palace Bar. The Palace is wonderful, but it's often shoulder-to-shoulder in the evening. It's been a few years since I've been to Bowe's, but I can't recall it ever getting too loud or crowded.

Cheers,

Ac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

I'd say most pubs in the city will be thronged because of the GAA final.Neary's and the Long Hall are my favourite no music/tv pubs in the city but they'll both be jam packed I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

These days, I believe the 'quiet pint' is only possible in laboratory conditions. You'll need an audio proof room, whatever. And don't let the gobshyte gate crashers know. These same people have a habit of gate crashing debs of Leaving Cert students of the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Rebelheart wrote: »
    This is the sort of answer which makes me distrust responses to this thread. The op is looking for a "quiet drink" but people rate Cassidy's because of the music!

If you distrust the responses in this thread - why not start a new thread instead of dragging up this one & having a dig at posts made almost 2 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

gugleguy wrote: »
    These days, I believe the 'quiet pint' is only possible in laboratory conditions. You'll need an audio proof room, whatever. And don't let the gobshyte gate crashers know. These same people have a habit of gate crashing debs of Leaving Cert students of the past year.

What?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

The op is looking for a "quiet drink" but people rate Cassidy's because of the music!

I'm looking for a quiet place that serves alcohol in the city centre this weekend - i.e. no tv, no music, no throngs of people (e.g. the otherwise excellent Grogans). Quiet.

I've come up with four:

1) Club an Chonradh on Harcourt Street (all Irish speaking, though) (my favourite quiet spot in Dublin but this Friday will be a bit noisy because of Culture Night 2013 hence I'm looking elsewhere)

2)Club na Múinteoirí on Parnell Square (although the Góilín singers' club - traditional singing entirely a cappella - will be on on a room off it)?

Well you may be sure that an "all irish speaking" bar wont exactly be crowded...what an utterly stupid concept for a pub.

OT i'm very fond of Lanigan's on Eden Quay.

It's usually pretty quiet and it's got really cool decor(skulls and witches etc...trust me!)and they sell ptchers of beer for a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

reprazant wrote: »
    What?

I've just been in Sheehans on Chatham St and for 830 on a Friday evening it was fairly quiet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

chopper6 wrote: »
    Well you may be sure that an "all irish speaking" bar wont exactly be crowded...what an utterly stupid concept for a pub

Curiously enough - not - I was there tonight and it was, unfortunately, packed. I presume now that you've finally discovered that an Irish language social club founded in Dublin in the 19th century still exists in Dublin - congratulations on that personal discovery - you'll proceed to bring your chip-on-shoulder placard protesting outside every other social club in Dublin because, of course, a soccer, rugby, golf etc social club is much more valid than one which revolves around the Irish language and culture? Clearly, from that decidedly troglodyte remark of yours you have no idea of the freedom and satisfaction which speaking another language gives to people. Now, go back to watching British soccer/whatever SKY is throwing at you like a good pleb and leave thoughtful things to the thoughtful adults. Go raibh maith agat.

Curiously enough - not - I was there tonight and it was, unfortunately, packed. I presume now that you've finally discovered that an Irish language social club founded in Dublin in the 19th century still exists in Dublin - congratulations on that personal discovery - you'll proceed to bring your chip-on-shoulder placard protesting outside every other social club in Dublin because, of course, a soccer, rugby, golf etc social club is much more valid than one which revolves around the Irish language and culture? Clearly, from that decidedly troglodyte remark of yours you have no idea of the freedom and satisfaction which speaking another language gives to people. Now, go back to watching British soccer/whatever SKY is throwing at you like a good pleb and leave thoughtful things to the thoughtful adults. Go raibh maith agat.

Do they use paragraphs in this mystical land of yours?

That is a paragraph. There is 5 sentences in it. I guess that might be a lot of sentences if you are only used to reading something akin to tabloids though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

bigpink wrote: »
    Your man Bressie(ex blizzards)was praising Cassidys on facebook/twitter cause my friend liked the link
    So if a guy like that likes it i wonder if they are trying to be too cool

I might be imagining it but I am fairly sure I saw graffiti in the jacks of Cassidys soon after it re-opened with a date from before the place was completely refurbished :rolleyes:

That is a paragraph. There is 5 sentences in it. I guess that might be a lot of sentences if you are only used to reading something akin to tabloids though.

So because i took umbrage with the idea of an irish speaking pub you've extrapolated that i'm a fan of soccer,english culture and tabloid newspapers?

You might want to reread "chip on your shoulder" bearing the above in mind.

Tell me...if one is unable to speak irish(or whatever aproximation of the language is floating around today) do they refuse to serve you?

chopper6 wrote: »
    So because i took umbrage with the idea of an irish speaking pub you've extrapolated that i'm a fan of soccer,english culture and tabloid newspapers?

You might want to reread "chip on your shoulder" bearing the above in mind.

Tell me...if one is unable to speak irish(or whatever aproximation of the language is floating around today) do they refuse to serve you?

You are ranting at the wrong person. I merely pointed out to you that the other fella did actually write a paragraph which contained only 5 sentences. I felt that since you thought that 5 sentences was too many for a paragraph, you must be more used to smaller paragraphs, such has those in tabloids.

I have never heard of this pub nor do I have a chip on my shoulder about it. Although if it was busy as the was mentioned, I guess it is not an utterly stupid concept for a bar. People like different things. Vive la différence.

You are ranting at the wrong person. I merely pointed out to you that the other fella did actually write a paragraph which contained only 5 sentences. I felt that since you thought that 5 sentences was too many for a paragraph, you must be more used to smaller paragraphs, such has those in tabloids.

I have never heard of this pub nor do I have a chip on my shoulder about it. Although if it was busy as the was mentioned, I guess it is not an utterly stupid concept for a bar. People like different things. Vive la différence.

I just find the idea of any kind of exclusiveness annoying..."this only" or "that only".

Do you see where i'm coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Less of the sniping and more value in posts pls, tia.

Advertisement