Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS Games... For Grown Ups

Options
  • 02-12-2011 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

I've been doing a lot of travelling over the last few months, and it looks like I'll be doing a lot more in the months to come. Long bus rides usually means some good old fashioned DS time. The only problem here is that I can't seem to find any good games aimed at my age (late 20s). All I can find is happy-go-lucky cute kiddy games. There's sure to be something a little more adult buried in the DS catalogue somewhere. All I've found so far is Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (great fun to be had there), and Dead 'N' Furious (no fun to be had there). I hear that there is also a version of the original Res E available.

Any recommendations as to good games to play on DS? Preferably not ultra-cute anime style ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence It runs well and so much better then it did on the oringaly Play Station back in the day.
    Nintendo DS - Capcom - Rated Mature
    Resident Evil: Deadly Silence is a revamped version of 1996's genre-defining horror game on the original PlayStation. Of course, the differences between the two platforms has necessitated a few changes, including some all-new segments designed to take advantage of the handheld's touch-screen capabilities. Otherwise the storyline, characters, and the underlying premise are identical to the original Resident Evil: two members of the S.T.A.R.S. rescue squad are stranded near a supposedly abandoned mansion. As they investigate the whereabouts of former team members, they will soon learn some disturbing news: the "residents" are of the zombie persuasion and are more than a little famished. Taking control of Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine, players must advance through the mansion, looking for clues, solving puzzles, and engaging in blood-soaked combat with all manner of undead creatures.
    New to the DS version is the ability for characters to attack using a knife, now a permanent part of a character's equipment inventory. Knife attacks automatically switch the game's default third-person perspective to a first-person view, with the stylus used to perform slashing and thrusting motions by sliding it across the lower screen. The touch-screen interface is also used in some reworked puzzle elements, from manually spinning valves to entering security codes for locked doors, as well as in defensive situations where players can shake away from an enemy's grip. The microphone will even be used at various points, as Jill Valentine can revive fallen comrades. The game is designed to offer surprises for Resident Evil veterans, as enemies will occasionally appear in waves. Also new to the game is a multiplayer element, allowing up to four players to compete in individual challenges against one another or to clear out zombies as a team. ~ Scott Alan Marriott, All Game Guide

And if you like that 2 and 3 were re done for the DS as well.

The lego games are on it as well, batman and star wars for kids of all ages.
    and there is also Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is your criteria for adult games to have a certain amount of gore/violence, or are you just looking for games that are fun and challenging for adults to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am 25 and I enjoy on 3ds:

Zelda oot
    Proffesor leyton
    Castlevania
    Advanced wars
    Chrono trigger

But I am just a big baby...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Professor Leyton is definitely my favourite - so addictive. I played mine on a flight to JFK and before I knew it we were nearly there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Castlevania
    Advance Wars
    Fire Emblem
    Grand Theft Auto: china town wars (actually fantastic game, seriously worth a play)
    Trauma Center (can be hard)
    Wario Ware touched

All get my vote. To be honest though the two games I'd recommend to anyone with a DS are Sonic Rush (the only good sonic since the mega drive imo) and kirby Canvas Curse because its awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Project rub
    Rub the rabbits

Got me threw some bad times , very weird and funny:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hotel Dusk! What an amazing game. Sunk loads of time into it. I thoroughly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Infinite Space - Space Battle-em up
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - SRPG with a great battle system
    The world ends with you - RPG-lite with a totally mental dual screen control.
    Etrian Odyssey 2 - Hardcore RPG stuff
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - Great 16-bit action platformer

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Phoenix Wright all the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

deathrider wrote: »
    Any recommendations as to good games to play on DS? Preferably not ultra-cute anime style ones.

You really shouldn't let this put you off games. You won't get more anime and cute than Etrian Odyssey but you also won't get a more hardcore dungeon crawler than it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Grown up? Turning 28 soon and i'll be opening mario and zelda xmas morning. Advance wars is excellent, as are layton and phoenix wright. Castlevania perhaps? Dont deny yourself ocarina of time on looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Cheers, lads, a few of those games sound pretty tasty. I didn't realise Res E 2 and 3 were also on DS. These will certainly be hunted down, as I'm a big fan of the older games in that series.

I'd been wondering about GTA: China Town wars, but wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I'll keep an eye out for that one. Also, I'll have a look for that Castlevania game. I had a blast playing through SOTN on XBLA over the summer, and would be more than happy to play more of the same.

Yip, played through a few of the mentioned ones (Sonic Rush, Warioware: Touched for example) already and had a blast with them. My idea of grown up doesn't exactly mean blood and guts, but nearly everything I find on the selves is either Hello Kitty style kids' games or an abundance of RPGs (which I'm partial too, but not a huge fan). I really enjoyed Starfox: Command, New Super Mario Bros., PoP: The Fallen King, and one of the Pokémon games (Pearl, I think) and I've got my eye on the latest Kirby game, so I don't need violence exactly. Just something a bit more gripping than a High School Musical game, because that's the kinda stuff that I keep seeing on display.

Also, I'm talking about the original DS, not 3DS, so I'm guessing Ocarina Of Time is out if the question :(

Cheers, lads. If you've got any more recommendations, lay them on me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cheers, lads, a few of those games sound pretty tasty. I didn't realise Res E 2 and 3 were also on DS. These will certainly be hunted down, as I'm a big fan of the older games in that series.

You'llbe disappointed, they were never released on DS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

No love for Contra 4 at all? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I'd been wondering about GTA: China Town wars, but wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I'll keep an eye out for that one. Also, I'll have a look for that Castlevania game. I had a blast playing through SOTN on XBLA over the summer, and would be more than happy to play more of the same.

Yip, played through a few of the mentioned ones (Sonic Rush, Warioware: Touched for example) already and had a blast with them. My idea of grown up doesn't exactly mean blood and guts, but nearly everything I find on the selves is either Hello Kitty style kids' games or an abundance of RPGs (which I'm partial too, but not a huge fan). I really enjoyed Starfox: Command, New Super Mario Bros., PoP: The Fallen King, and one of the Pokémon games (Pearl, I think) and I've got my eye on the latest Kirby game, so I don't need violence exactly. Just something a bit more gripping than a High School Musical game, because that's the kinda stuff that I keep seeing on display.

Also, I'm talking about the original DS, not 3DS, so I'm guessing Ocarina Of Time is out if the question :(

Cheers, lads. If you've got any more recommendations, lay them on me!

Pokemon Black/White was pretty good, I whipped through it earlier this year :)

GTA china town wars took me by surprise, it plays like the early GTA's and I loved it. The fact that you have to make the cops crash to remove your wanted level was genius.

Imagine early top down GTA, now add in takedowns from Burnout, a silly story I didnt care for and a lot of clever one liners. :)

Danonino. wrote: »

GTA china town wars took me by surprise, it plays like the early GTA's and I loved it. The fact that you have to make the cops crash to remove your wanted level was genius.

Imagine early top down GTA, now add in takedowns from Burnout, a silly story I didnt care for and a lot of clever one liners. :)

I'm conivinced. I really must get a shot at this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Danonino. wrote: »

I'm conivinced. I really must get a shot at this one!

Got my hands on it a few weeks ago. It is great fun, the script is brilliant. It had been on the list of games i wanted to get for ages, so i picked it up before going on holidays so i'd get a good few hours to play it. Just to mention, i actually found it fairly hard to get in the shops around here (tallaght). Checked hmv, game, gamestop, smyths & xtra vision, none of which had it. In fact the gamestop dude told me none of the gamestop stores had it in stock. Interestingly several stores told me it was too old to stock (seriously). Eventually got it in game in dundrum. Worth the hassle, though.
    So yeah, phone the stores before you drop down to them.

Yeah, oddly enough, it's been quite a while since I've spotted it anywhere either. But if worse comes to worst, I'm sure I could find it for sale online.

Advertisement