Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunnes Stores Christmas Card charity scam'ola?

• 02-12-2011 4:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

So me and my brother were in Dunnes Stores Blanchardstown tonight. We were waiting at the till for the previous customer to put his stuff away before ours going through when we noticed Dunnes Stores Religious Christmas Cards for 2 euro on the rack. I picked one up and looked at the back ... In a small font it had "10% of this sale will be donated to charity" :pac: ... aka 20cents.

Such a con! ... Why they would wanna donate anything in the first place.
    It kinda makes you think you can sell anything for charity. As long as you state how much is going to charity!

Thoughts? ... opinions? ... do i look fat in this dress? etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dunnes, the difference is they're cunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

For every 'thanks' this post gets, i shall donate 5 cent to a charity of your choice OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

For every 'thanks' this post gets, i shall donate 5 cent to a charity of your choice OP

You are too kind :)
    I'll pm you the details to send to my pocket ... erm ... Charity ;)

Dunnes.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Dunnes.

:pac:

Actually I made this thread out of curiosity :P
    At what percentage of donations is it legal for anyone to say "For Charity"?
    As long as its 1% its legal for me to do so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

lighterguy wrote:
    So me and my brother were in Dunnes Stores Blanchardstown tonight. We were waiting at the till for the previous customer to put his stuff away before ours going through when we noticed Dunnes Stores Religious Christmas Cards for 2 euro on the rack. I picked one up and looked at the back ... In a small font it had "10% of this sale will be donated to charity" ... aka 20cents.

Such a con! ... Why they would wanna donate anything in the first place.
    It kinda makes you think you can sell anything for charity. As long as you state how much is going to charity!

Thoughts? ... opinions? ... do i look fat in this dress? etc.
    ive read that few times now and still cant see the problem :confused:

what are you on about!

from your post it doesnt say on the front of the box if the cards were for charity..just they were religious christmas cards... and this makes you call it a charity scam :confused:

Saila wrote: »
    ive read that few times now and still cant see the problem :confused:

what are you on about!

Advertising something to be for charity >> read the back of box >> only 10%

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Advertising something to be for charity

why didnt you say that in the OP then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

:pac:

Actually I made this thread out of curiosity :P
    At what percentage of donations is it legal for anyone to say "For Charity"?
    As long as its 1% its legal for me to do so?

As far as I know anyone can declare anything as a charity in this country, it's not like the UK. Unless you can show proper fraud then they can do what they like.
    I could set up a company and start taking donations. Once they all go through the book I could do what I wanted with the money. Obviously donating nothing at all to charity would mean I'd defrauded people but there would be nothing to stop me taking and giving salaries and take a cut for the massive overheads I'd have.

amacachi wrote: »
    As far as I know anyone can declare anything as a charity in this country, it's not like the UK. Unless you can show proper fraud then they can do what they like.
    I could set up a company and start taking donations. Once they all go through the book I could do what I wanted with the money. Obviously donating nothing at all to charity would mean I'd defrauded people but there would be nothing to stop me taking and giving salaries and take a cut for the massive overheads I'd have.

pm sent

• Advertisement

why didnt you say that in the OP then?

Ah the old "I said something wrong, but you were to blame for my mistake!" :rolleyes:

fyp.

Ah the old "I said something wrong, but you were to blame for my mistake!" :rolleyes:

fyp.

what so because you ****ed up the OP and I pointed it out Im to blame

wtf :confused:

what so because you ****ed up the OP and I pointed it out Im to blame

wtf :confused:

Yeah.
    Looks like a typical "I dont see your issue!!!!! i'm right, you're wrong" after hours post ... >>> Then I corrected your assumption ... >>> you passed the book onto me still.

I mean the thread was titled "Dunnes Stores Christmas Card Charity Scam'ola" ... It wasnt entitled "Dunnes Stores bullshit giving a small percentage to charity while not calling it a charity product but out of the goodness of their hearts" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Yeah.
    Looks like a typical "I dont see your issue!!!!! i'm right, you're wrong" after hours post ... >>> Then I corrected your assumption ... >>> you passed the book onto me still.
    there was a book? What percentage of each book's sale went to charity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Almost all charities are scams. Have you seen the salaries they dish out to the inner circle in some of them? Have you seen how little they actually give out?

I never give a penny to any charity I didn't already Google or find audits for (all the reputable have downloadable annual reports).

"Our Christians Faith in Jesus Christ Charity for <whatever>" is usually a tell tale sign, multiple uses of some religious words in the charity name..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

amacachi wrote: »

Like Concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Yeah.

I mean the thread was titled "Dunnes Stores Christmas Card Charity Scam'ola" ... It wasnt entitled "Dunnes Stores bullshit giving a small percentage to charity while not calling it a charity product but out of the goodness of their hearts" thread.

Hey you didn't mention it in your OP. Get over it.

The words "charity scam" with a question mark after them imply that you were questioning whether this was a scam or not.

I actually still don't see the problem.

There's a (granted small) cost for the cards, so it's not like it's 10% charity 90% Dunnes, the percentage Dunnes actually make is likely to be far more in balance when you factor in the price they got the cards at themselves. So while it's 10% of the sale it's more than 10% of the profit. (maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure someone will let me know if I am)

Plus, you can't expect them to sell the cards solely for charity, they have to make money too, as the cards are taking up room in their shop and their staff are treating them like regular stock, which costs money.

The way I see it, it's nice that they're giving a small portion of their profits to a charity. Something is better than nothing. And how is it a scam anyway if it says on the box the proportion going to the charity? It's not like you found out through some cutting edge journalistic investigation, you just took a second to read the pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

10% sounds pretty standard.

NEXT Approx 6%
    House of Fraser Approx 9%
    BOOTS Approx 10%
    Marks & Spencer Approx 10%

How much did you think it was going to be OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

biko wrote: »
    10% sounds pretty standard.

NEXT Approx 6%
    House of Fraser Approx 9%
    BOOTS Approx 10%
    Marks & Spencer Approx 10%

How much did you think it was going to be OP?

Yep suggest you check the back of the boxes of all charity cards - you will see 10% is about average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

This reminds me of the pampers ad for vaccines for babies in the third world.

Ad states: 'Eack pack sold equals 1 vaccine.' (seems ok)

Then in fine print at bottom screen, it says something like 1 vaccine = 0.0014cent.

:confused:

Am I missing something, or was there some even finer print I didn't see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Just buy them direct from the charity, Xmas cards are a waste of time and money but if you are going to buy them then at least the money should go to a charity, just pop into Oxffam Ireland, Enable Ireland, Trocaire or just generally find a charity shop in your locale ring them and find out what % goes to charity.

Advertisement