Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB Saorview receiver ($7.40 delivered)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Baza210 wrote: »
    How long did WMC take?

To do the scan, it took maybe 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Jonathan wrote: »
    ITE IT9135.

Version 1 works with Linux 3.2, but my device is Version 2 requires this patch, which is currently in linux-next for inclusion in 3.4.

Thank you ;)

More details here if anyone is interested

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ITE_IT9135

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

moonboy52 wrote: »
    To do the scan, it took maybe 5 minutes.

Okay... mine took 2 hours to get to 25% and came up with nothing. I'll try the CD software then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

smccarrick wrote: »
    Aka, unless you have a remarkably good signal, or an external aerial, you're screwed?

I've tried it in Celbridge, Leixlip, Lucan, Smithfield and Stephen's Green- to no avail. I give up. I can pick up DAB radio via this, but can't get a signal lock for digital tv.......

Same here in Leixlip!

Okay... mine took 2 hours to get to 25% and came up with nothing. I'll try the CD software then.

I think that's indicative of no signal... mine reacts in the same way and I've clearly got no signal. An aerial might be the best bet maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Vertakill wrote: »
    Same here in Leixlip!

Havn't tried it in months - but I'm very close to Leixlip and the usb saoerview dongle worked ok when I tried it- with just the tiny antanae plugged in - It wont work when the antanae is held too close to metal - like the pc case.
    Took less 5minutes to tune in.
    Only tried it couple times - bit flakey - stopped a few times and wouldnt restart - so I gave up using it.

“Roll it back”

Vertakill wrote: »
    smccarrick wrote: »
    Aka, unless you have a remarkably good signal, or an external aerial, you're screwed?

I've tried it in Celbridge, Leixlip, Lucan, Smithfield and Stephen's Green- to no avail. I give up. I can pick up DAB radio via this, but can't get a signal lock for digital tv.......

Same here in Leixlip!

I think that's indicative of no signal... mine reacts in the same way and I've clearly got no signal. An aerial might be the best bet maybe.
    I got working with Linux. There is obviously something awry with the Windows drivers.

I thought i read somewhere on boards that Waterford City is well covered for Saorview.

I am up on a small hill overlooking the city center (Barrack Street), so the signal may be particularly good here.

The sucessful install was on my Win7 32-bit laptop. (shows up as a IT9135 BDA device) in device manager.

I tried to install the CD drivers on my Win7 64-bit machine and there was an issue in device manager.

Downloaded those 64-bit drivers from the link before and the scan goes on forever. it must be a driver issue then. I will investigate more later.

Could you upload the W32 driver? Mine shows up as WinFast and didn't work on 32 bit.

• Advertisement

Could you upload the W32 driver? Mine shows up as WinFast and didn't work on 32 bit.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1468100/DrvInstall.exe

Is that just off the disc? Hmm, I'll give it a shot I guess.

I see! So there may be hope for my 3 paperweights after all! :)

Thanks - I'll give it a shot later on if I get a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

jpfahy wrote: »
    Does this work on Mac OSX?

+1

Anyone try it??

moonboy's driver didn't work for me... it came up as an unsigned driver and nothing happened when I plugged in the DTV stick.

When I plug the stick into my Linux server (which has functional drivers thanks to Jonathan) the light on it flashes blue. Does that happen for the Windows people that hve it working?

moonboy's driver didn't work for me... it came up as an unsigned driver and nothing happened when I plugged in the DTV stick.

When I plug the stick into my Linux server (which has functional drivers thanks to Jonathan) the light on it flashes blue. Does that happen for the Windows people that hve it working?

The light stays blue constant when you are watching a channel.

Sorry the driver did not work for you Baza.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's really weird. If I remember right, though, the driver you supplied was for a different model (the linux ones are IT9135) ... there seems to be a couple of different chips out there in these things.

Yeah, it's really weird. If I remember right, though, the driver you supplied was for a different model (the linux ones are IT9135) ... there seems to be a couple of different chips out there in these things.

How do I determine what chip I have in my one Baza?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭Nollog

Did you try using windows update?
    uninstall it from device managaer completely, and install it again from there, there will be an option to download a driver from windows update.
    I'm using that version for windows 7 64bit.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    uninstall it from device managaer completely, and install it again from there, there will be an option to download a driver from windows update.

I just tried that on my 64-bit machine. It says:

Version 10.12.20.1
    Provider is Leadtek
    Winfast DTV Dongle Dual Device.

When i go into WMC and click on live TV, the scan takes forever like before.

On my 32-bit laptop it says:

Version 11.10.19.1
    Provider is ITE
    IT9135 BDA device

/\/ollog wrote: »

Yep, I've tried the Windows one "WinFast DTV Dongle", and the IT1935 BDA Device from AlfaTech..

• Advertisement

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I just tried that on my 64-bit machine. It says:

Version 10.12.20.1
    Provider is Leadtek
    Winfast DTV Dongle Dual Device.

When i go into WMC and click on live TV, the scan takes forever like before.

On my 32-bit laptop it says:

Version 11.10.19.1
    Provider is ITE
    IT9135 BDA device

Pretty sure my Win7 x64 is showing up with that driver as well moonboy so you might be onto something.
    I also cannot scan for sh!t when it's installed like that so I'll look for something more like your 32b one over the weekend.

Haven't had the time or patience to go near this for a couple weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

why not just use this site, live tv

http://www.aertv.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Beaver1 wrote: »
    why not just use this site, live tv

http://www.aertv.ie/
    No HD channels, and wastes bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

I got one of these yesterday but I'm having the same problems as some other people. I'm have Win 7 64-bit. Letting Windows find the driver, it shows up as Winfast DTV Dongle Dual Device and when I installed the driver from the disc it shows as IT9135 BDA device. Either way the scan takes ages and finds no channels. In WMC the scan took about 10 hours. With the Blazevideo software it's faster after installing the disc driver but still doesn't find anything. I'll try it on Linux later.

Any progress with this? Sending the stream from my linux server over the network to my W7 laptop kills my modem, and I can't browse the internet at the same time.

Any progress with this? Sending the stream from my linux server over the network to my W7 laptop kills my modem, and I can't browse the internet at the same time.

Does it hammer the router when no PC is accessing the stream?

If so it would appear that the router is not multicast compatible or is not set up correctly .......

Yeah, it does. There isn't much in the way of settings available, the firmware is a bit bare. All I can say is that the Multicast check box is ticked.

I bought a cheap router for my playing around at the time, because I was unable to get my old router to behave in the presence of multicast streams.
    I got an e1000 v2.x (can't recall exactly), put it in the line between multicast serving PC and the main router and it solved the problem for me.

I realise it is likely a bit of an overkill for most, but I wanted to play :D

EDIT
    I just remembered, I also had to make some changes to the NIC on the PC to ensure that it did multicast .....

Unfortunately, as I'm with UPC, I can't change my router or I would have done so long ago...

For the people who got it working in Linux, are you using 32 or 64 bit? I can't get mine working in Win 7 or Linux, both 64 bit. It works fine on Win XP 32 bit though.

• Advertisement

Linux 32b works, Windows 32b & 64b doesn't.

Unfortunately, as I'm with UPC, I can't change my router or I would have done so long ago...

Presumably that is a modem/router ........ if it has more than one LAN port then a cheap router could be attached to one of the ports and the PC doing the multicasting attached to a LAN port of the new router ...... that should then protect the main router from the majority of the multicasting data
    provided of course that the new router was able to handle the multicast streams properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Anybody know if this USB receiver could work with Android 4.0? Or one that would work with an Android tab? (4.0 has USB-host capabilities)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Rockn wrote: »
    For the people who got it working in Linux, are you using 32 or 64 bit? I can't get mine working in Win 7 or Linux, both 64 bit. It works fine on Win XP 32 bit though.
    Works on both amd64 and i386.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Does it do UK HD channels also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you don't need to.

i'm with UPC also and I have my UPC router just acting like a dumb modem with wireless and everything else disabled and another router connected to it running my wireless and everything else as it has much better features and and allows me to monitor my bandwidth usage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

vibe666 wrote: »
    you don't need to.

i'm with UPC also and I have my UPC router just acting like a dumb modem with wireless and everything else disabled and another router connected to it running my wireless and everything else as it has much better features and and allows me to monitor my bandwidth usage.

Ditto- I use a dual band quad channel router- I can wirelessly stream 4-5MB/sec around the house from my UPC connection- if I was left with their kit- I'd be lucky if I got a fifth of this.......

Ftw- I use a D-Link 855

Point taken. However, I'm not really interested in buying a €40 WRT54G to get a €5 TV tuner working over some wonky client-server network setup when it could just be working freely client-side if the drivers weren't so messy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Had no trouble setting it up myself. Using Win7 64 bit, works fine through Windows Media Centre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Cranium

dorgasm>> Had no trouble setting it up myself. Using Win7 64 bit, works fine through Windows Media Centre!

Presumably dorgasm your machine is an AMD 64 bit machine - I've seen mention of driver availablilty for IT9135 BDA on that.

It doesn't work on: Dell Latitude E6510(64bit) running Windows 7 (intel core i7)
    It works for me on: Dell Latitude D810 running XP/SP2

I tried Blaze, WMC & VLC on Windows 7, but just VLC on the XP machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

How long are the orders taking for people? Nearly six weeks since mine was dispatched and no sign of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cranium

Ordered mine Feb 1st. It was dispatched Feb 2nd and I got it sometime around Feb 10-14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Crap, just realised I got it sent to an alternate address. Silly me.

Neither Intel nor AMD work for me! x86 W7 Pro on Intel i3 370M and amd64 W7 Pro on AMD X4 955. Works on x86 Ubuntu on AMD Athlon Neo II.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ferrakins

thanks for this OP, i ordered last week, I dont even need it lol but for that price u couldnt go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 slikvik

Hi,

I've signed up as I'm having the same problem with the device in Win 7 64 bit.

However I MAY have a solution.

I extracted the bundled driver to get access to the raw 64bit drivers. The driver (11.10.19.1) is actually unsigned so this maybe the reason the setup routine doesn't install it. Anyway, I installed this manually and the system now goes through the detection process fine! Unfortunately I don't have any reception near my 64bit PC so I was wondering if you guys could give it a go?
    1. Click Update Driver on the devices properties.
    2. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
    3. Click "Let me pick from list of device..." <- important.
    4. Click "Have Disk" and browse to the folder with the 11.10.19.1 driver in.
    5. It will pop up with a warning about this being unsigned, click Install anyway.
    6. When the PC restarts you MUST hit F8 and select the option to disable driver signing. This has to be done every reboot but providing you guys can confirm the driver works I will put the effort in to try and create a signed version of it.

Please let me know if it works!

ALSO...

I have included another slightly older version that I found on the web (10.2.3.2) which IS signed but seems to go through the detection process a bit slower so it may not be working (again I cant tell as I have no reception). You may want to give this a try too so just follow the same instruction 1-4 above.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3pwe4ed79dcg441

Still no channels found in WMC, although it doesn't take hours any more, at least :P

I tried extracting the drivers aswell. I think it was installing the 32-bit driver by default. When I extracted it I got 2 exes: DriverInstall32.exe and DriverInstall64.exe so I just ran the second one to install the correct driver. Don't need to disable driver signing that way. Still can't get any channels though.

I got it working on my brother's laptop (win 7 x64) though the picture kept freezing. On my computer, when I scan on the correct frequency with BlazeDTV I get 100% signal strength and 10% quality and 0 channels found. I got one of these and tried with rabbit ears but that didn't help at all. I guess my problem is just a poor signal at the back of the house where my computer is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 slikvik

Just to let you know that the 11.10 driver I uploaded here does work! I crudely attached a better aerial and 7MC scanned channels and works fine. If you install this driver it goes through the channel scan nice and quick but if you still don't get any channels you probably need a better aerial. I'll try and make a signed version of it now.

@Rockn You are right that the DriverInstall64.exe does install the same driver. The reason I didn't include it in the upload was because I like to point directly to the .inf file so I know what I'm getting. It also still brought up the same unsigned driver warning and requires the F8 disable method. I've verified this on another PC...

11661643_capture2.png
    [11.10.19.1 - Not Digitally Signed]

Anyway, I'll post back if I manage to sign the driver.

I did something similar a few weeks back and it worked as you described (installed correctly, allbeit manually, and scanned nice and fast) but I still got no channels so I assumed it was just that I was too far away and I gave up hope.

What kind of aerial did you use and what exactly did you do?
    Could you take a little photo of it perhaps? Might give this pos another go.. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement