Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB Saorview receiver ($7.40 delivered)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The easiest thing to do IMO is to let VLC generate its own playlist and save it.

VLC .... Open Capture Device ... Mode TV and DVB-T (or DVB-T2)

Enter the frequency for your local transmitter for multiplex frequency and 8Mhz for the bandwidth .... and select Play

The Saorview channels will then become available in VLC and you can select "Save Playlist to file" for re-use simply by opening that file with VLC whenever you want to access Saorview channels.

All you need to know is the frequency of your local transponder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

might be my setup (GPU isn't great) but it seems to be more responsive (less hangy) for RTE2 when video is set as wallpaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Jonathan wrote: »
    Three Rock has changed frequencies. Try replacing 738000000 with 546000000.
    That was where I was going wrong! RTÉ2HD is much better, but still a bit jumpy. Any recommendations on what to do within VLC to make it smoother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone using one of these in Clontarf?

Tempted to get one for the kids playroom...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Nalydyenlo

The easiest thing to do IMO is to let VLC generate its own playlist and save it.

VLC .... Open Capture Device ... Mode TV and DVB-T (or DVB-T2)

Enter the frequency for your local transmitter for multiplex frequency and 8Mhz for the bandwidth .... and select Play

The Saorview channels will then become available in VLC and you can select "Save Playlist to file" for re-use simply by opening that file with VLC whenever you want to access Saorview channels.

All you need to know is the frequency of your local transponder.

Yes but it doesn't save a track for each channel this way so you won't be able to change the channels with the navigate buttons - you have to go to playback -> programs each time which is a pain. The code above is a playlist with a track for each channel, allowing you to change channels by simply clicking 'back' or 'next' or else going the playlist window. You can also insert an image to identify your channel by putting in <image>file:///[path to image]</image> within the channel track which is nice - less boring than the traffic cone.

That was where I was going wrong! RTÉ2HD is much better, but still a bit jumpy. Any recommendations on what to do within VLC to make it smoother?

Try going to 'Tools -> Preferences -> Video' and setting de-interlacing to 'automatic' or 'on' and de-interlace mode to 'blend'. My RTE 2 picture was all full of glitches and lines until I did this.

EDIT: Also it wouldn't hurt to go to 'Tools -> Preferences -> Input & Codecs' and check 'Use GPU accelerated decoding'. Also 'Tools -> Preferences ->Video' and check 'accelerated video output'.

How do you send Thanks From: messages on this board, like the one upandcumming sent just above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Click on the thumbs up icon in the bottom right corner of their post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

Nalydyenlo wrote: »
    How do you send Thanks From: messages on this board, like the one upandcumming sent just above?

Just click on the "Thumbs-up" icon on the right;)
    Edit:Darn.....one finger typing........

mickzer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Holdover

Got one of these and it works great, the blaze software was a bit laggy but on Windows media center its really smooth, great bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Allyall wrote: »
    Could be a different version of Windows 7, could have different updates, could be a different version of Media Center.

The 2GB of updates is probably for Win 7 as a whole. I just meant Media Center.

Worth a shot anyway, to download one of them, as that's what worked for me.

I never had a problem in Vista, so maybe this isn't the same problem that i had, but maybe worth a look at

EDIT: sorry, i linked to the wrong video

Dude what usb dvb is used here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Sorry to bring a thread out of the depths of the bargain basement but does anyone have a link to the installation for this USB receiver?,I can't come across the disk now at all. I seen a link from megaupload further down this thread but it off course is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

Balls, my one of these has just stopped working for no reason, still shows up as an IT9135 BDA device in Device Manager when I plug it in but all Windows Media Centre does with it is stay stuck on Searching for Tuners, any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

http://www.buyincoins.com/new_en/details/digital-tv-box-lcd-vga-av-tuner-dvb-t-freeview-receiver-product-2056.html

Just having a look at this, as a way of getting saorview direct to the tv without a laptop in between, can anyone confirm it'll work here in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

It won't work, it's only mpeg2, you want mpeg4/h.264 decoding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

baldshin wrote: »
    http://www.buyincoins.com/new_en/details/digital-tv-box-lcd-vga-av-tuner-dvb-t-freeview-receiver-product-2056.html

Just having a look at this, as a way of getting saorview direct to the tv without a laptop in between, can anyone confirm it'll work here in Ireland?

You are better off just getting an indoor aerial, mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Did anyone tried to use it with Raspberry Pi and xmbc ?

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Also anyone get this going with windows 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ghostrider4

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Also anyone get this going with windows 8?

I tried on two Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit machines but couldn't get it to work.

I have a this one working on Windows 8 64 Bit machine though

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-USB-2-0-Digital-DVB-T-HDTV-TV-Tuner-Recorder-Receiver-/390532069813?pt=AU_Components&hash=item5aed8679b5

The dongle does get a bit hot after a while though, so probably not high quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Can anyone point me in the direction of Linux drivers for this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mudxfxa

Hi, Just got one recently, but I couldn't get RTE one and RTE one +1, tried scan it many times without luck, also tried VLC, WMC, and blazeTV, same result. Could someone give some adivce if possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

mudxfxa wrote: »
    Hi, Just got one recently, but I couldn't get RTE one and RTE one +1, tried scan it many times without luck, also tried VLC, WMC, and blazeTV, same result. Could someone give some adivce if possible?

For Three Rock at least, RTE One & and +1 are now on Mux 2 carried on Channel - 33 or 570000 kHz. The other stations are on 30 or 546000 kHz.

You should be able to adjust for your location following this table

Can anyone find the post that tells you how to set this up in VLC media player? It involved editing a txt file in notepad with your local frequencies...

Thargor wrote: »
    Can anyone find the post that tells you how to set this up in VLC media player? It involved editing a txt file in notepad with your local frequencies...

Nalydyenlo's text file: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056469715&page=22#322

That's the one, thanks a million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Cool little device.

styron wrote: »
    Hmmm, doesnt seem to be working, maybe the move to the new muxes or the extra channels added since have messed it up since it was written...

Has anyone seen any software that works with this device besides VLC and WMC? I've googled but there's nothing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

vlc isn't really made for this purpose, SmartDVB is free and works great for me, there are others like progvb & DVBViewer

• Advertisement

parasite wrote: »
    vlc isn't really made for this purpose, SmartDVB is free and works great for me, there are others like progvb & DVBViewer
    Thanks for that but why are they so obsessed with satellite frequencies? It refuses to do anything until I select a satellite then when I pick Astra 2A because thats the one I get my Freeview channels from it just sits there after that, there doesnt seem to be any way to scan for channels like in WMC, not that Astra 2A is anything to do with DVB in the first place, any clues what to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Does this work with a TV or just a computer?

Just a Windows pc, XP and 7 specifically I think, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 commgames

I am trying to tune, I get 100% strength 80% quality but when it tunes it finds no channels..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will it work on Windows 10?

I have tried XP, 7, 8.1 and 10

With 10 I get 1 (transponder) mux I think it is 59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Any chance of this working on Ubuntu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Any chance of this working on Ubuntu?

Reply #77 in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76099579&postcount=77

It all depends on the chipset used in the supplied device.

Will it work on Windows 10?

It's picked up by the native driver and works fine on VLC. With two muxes, the channels are split over two frequencies (eg. Three Rock - 546 & 570 MHz).

• Advertisement

does anyone now how to plug in external aerial, an adapter?

commgames wrote: »
    does anyone now how to plug in external aerial, an adapter?

One of these (Thanks to Rockn earlier in thread).

You might try unscrewing the aerial and "plugging in" the brass thread - has worked for a few.

It's picked up by the native driver and works fine on VLC. With two muxes, the channels are split over two frequencies (eg. Three Rock - 546 & 570 MHz).
    Try ProgDVB, it works great with it. You can middle mouse click on the screen and it shrinks it to a window that always floats on top of whatever else you're doing so you can be browsing away with the tv on in the bottom right, really handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

If anyone has one but doesn't want it PM me and i'll take it off your hands.

djmarkus wrote: »
    If anyone has one but doesn't want it PM me and i'll take it off your hands.

We bought them over three years ago - still on sale (31US cents dearer!)

Three week wait or so - but you'll have the driver CD (+ required serial number) and a remote that might offer more by now than a spare battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

We bought them over three years ago - still on sale (31US cents dearer!)

Three week wait or so - but you'll have the driver CD (+ required serial number) and a remote that might offer more by now than a spare battery.

I hate waiting. Can you order a new one and I can have yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

i have Windows 10 home edition and dongle is not picked up. What native driver are we talking about here? Any particular inf file i should use?

bmm wrote: »
    i have Windows 10 home edition and dongle is not picked up. What native driver are we talking about here? Any particular inf file i should use?

It should be recognised and 'clear' in Device Manager as 'Winfast DVT Dongle Gold DVB Device' or similar under Sound video and game controllers. The associated system32 driver files are AF15BDA.sys and BdaSup.sys.

If that checks out OK it still needs a DVB player install to scan and store the channels, EPG etc.

SichboPVR is now straightforward and fairly smooth. Thargor's ProgDVB suggestion is another fine option or even VLC under Media -> Open Capture Device -> Capture Mode: TV Digital, Delivery System: DVB-T & input Transponder Frequency (two required as all channels as split between two muxes, so only ½ available per frequency eg. Three Rock: 546000 kHz & 570000 kHz.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

It should be recognised and 'clear' in Device Manager as 'Winfast DVT Dongle Gold DVB Device' or similar under Sound video and game controllers. The associated system32 driver files are AF15BDA.sys and BdaSup.sys.

This is what i'm getting . No drivers are installing. I would need an inf file if someone has one ?

386381.jpg

The drivers built in to my Win 10 32 bit install are these Leadtech:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php/d4b0b37e4903d9ffb81830ca80fc3134/573e3d4d/29322/0/1?tsf=0

Back in the day they got the dongle working on some win 7 & 8 systems - usually 32 bit ... having a media center helped too. Leadtech don't have a trace about these drivers or devices on their site anymore.

If that doesn't work bmm can you go into the DVB-T 2 Details tab above and select Hardware Ids from the drop down menu to see if it gives up what specific dongle you have? I have the driver discs somewhere that came with two different IT 9135 & AF 9015 based sticks.

The drivers built in to my Win 10 32 bit install are these Leadtech:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php/d4b0b37e4903d9ffb81830ca80fc3134/573e3d4d/29322/0/1?tsf=0

Back in the day they got the dongle working on some win 7 & 8 systems - usually 32 bit ... having a media center helped too. Leadtech don't have a trace about these drivers or devices on their site anymore.

If that doesn't work bmm can you go into the DVB-T 2 Details tab above and select Hardware Ids from the drop down menu to see if it gives up what specific dongle you have? I have the driver discs somewhere that came with two different IT 9135 & AF 9015 based sticks.

AF9015 & IT9130/35 discs

• Advertisement
Advertisement