Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subtitution issue...??

Options
  • 02-12-2011 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

I recently traded a semi auto shotgun and want a o/u instead,,problem is my super sent form back to my fo saying that it was not a like for like subtitution,,both guns are 12 guage he now wants to class it as a new licence and that will cost 80 quid,my current licence has another year left. also the guy who I traded with got his subtitution after only 1 week,,his o/u for my semi auto with no hassle.
    anyone else have this problem and is my super right????
    my local super is in limerick city B.T.W.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

daveob007 wrote: »
    I recently traded a semi auto shotgun and want a o/u instead,,problem is my super sent form back to my fo saying that it was not a like for like subtitution,,both guns are 12 guage he now wants to class it as a new licence and that will cost 80 quid,my current licence has another year left. also the guy who I traded with got his subtitution after only 1 week,,his o/u for my semi auto with no hassle.
    anyone else have this problem and is my super right????

Thats a load of S**TE. I just substituted an under and over for a semi-auto with no problems with the same amount of time left on my licence as you! These Supers seem to make it up as they go along, if you are a member of the NARGC you should give Des Crofton a ring and let him know whats going on in Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

In fairness to my fo he has sent it back to the super with the facts,same calibre etc and told me to wait for a week or so,
    not sure if the super is a new guy or not,never had hassle before.
    In my opinion the gardai powers have too much say in firearms licencing and differ from one district to the next instead or applying the law as it is.
    I will contact Des but I am not a member of a club or nargc but Des has advised me in the past.
    If the problem still exists i will ring the super myself and the firearms policy unit in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Each super reads that like for like bit as they see it and take it to be the exact same! I subbed a .17 for a 223 a while back no problems because they were both unrestricted calibers. This is mad tho like you could nearly understand if you were going o/u to a semi but the other way round:confused:

There should not be comissioners guidlines there should be set in stone procedures to stop this kind of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

daveob007 wrote: »

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Says it all!!! Still the same fellah!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Who are the local FO's and Supers dealing with Licenses these days?

Joe Cooney who I used to deal with in Roxboro is retired and I dont think
    Frank O'Brien is the Super that looks after things firearms related anymore.

~B

• Advertisement

bullets wrote: »
    Who are the local FO's and Supers dealing with Licenses these days?

Joe Cooney who I used to deal with in Roxboro is retired and I dont think
    Frank O'Brien is the Super that looks after things firearms related anymore.

~B
    o brien was there early this year,my fo in mayorstone is enright and sound out and helpful,but its when it goes from his office the problems start.
    these supers and chief super are a law onto themselves when it comes to our sport,,crazt that one stroke of the pen can either make or break your chosen pastime,,should be a panel looking at these things and not one person who may like or dislike firearms..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 brian807

How long should a substitution take? im changing a shotgun - like for like and i phoned the 24h garda station and he said come in with the form between 9-5! will they give me a sheet there and then so i can pick up the new gun?

or do i have to wait until they "get around to it" im in wicklow area and the Supers up here are no different according to what i hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

brian807 wrote: »
    How long should a substitution take? im changing a shotgun - like for like and i phoned the 24h garda station and he said come in with the form between 9-5! will they give me a sheet there and then so i can pick up the new gun?

or do i have to wait until they "get around to it" im in wicklow area and the Supers up here are no different according to what i hear.
    Well I did a substitution for my rifle on Friday and he did it out there and then on the computer in front of me. All I'm waiting on now is the post. I did a substitution on my shotgun during the year, again he did it out in front of me, and it arrived in the post 4days later (and that included a weekend). I'd he said to go into him you might get lucky and have your amended lisance within a week

the guy i traded with got his within a week,,the problem with mine is that the super saw my semi as a single barrel and said the double barrel that i want to change for was not like for like,its gone back again and i am still waiting,,around 8 weeks so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Why don't you ring the firearms policy unit, ask for Sgt. English (I think that is what his name is) he is very helpful.

• Advertisement

sorted at last,got licence in the post tis morning,,thanks for all the help...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 brian807

still no sign of the license - over a month now!! total joke - all it needed was a signature! swapping like for like

Missed all the xmas shoots, and im dying to hit some clays! well when i say hit.............. (i mean fire at)

Advertisement