Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delias Marzipan

Options
  • 02-12-2011 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I made delia smiths marzipan last year for the christmas cake and really liked it in comparison to bought marzipan.

Im making a cake this year for fiancées family.

The recipe includes 2 eggs & 1 yolk, which is combined with caster sugar and whisked for 12 mins in a bowl over simmering water.

At bottom of the recipe it notes that the recipe uses raw eggs. I have looked online for an alternative but havent seen anything, worried most of them wont turn out right, whereas I know I can do the delia one.

Fiancees grandmother will probably be eating this cake so I dont want to poison her with salmonella.

Would the whisking over simmering water for 12 mins cook the eggs? Or should I just buy some or try another recipe instead? Im not sure if this is even an issue and what the actual chances are of someone getting ill over this.

Or I have just seen a recipe from Rachel Allen where she covered the cake with marzipan then put in the oven for 10 - 20 mins. She didnt cover it with icing after that, but would that cook the marzipan and could you then put fondant on it and would this be better?

Advertisement