Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Steambox anyway, by the sounds of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im gona start a nofap challenge now just so I can celebrate hl3's potential announcement in style

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jaysus, all of ireland is going to drown, quick gabe ship it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

MY PANTS ARE READY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i gotta admit something here, i never got the universal acclaim from critics and fans for the half life series.

Took me about 4 attempts to get into the games which are are fine games but i find it strange :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

i gotta admit something here, i never got the universal acclaim from critics and fans for the half life series.

Took me about 4 attempts to get into the games which are are fine games but i find it strange :L

How long after release did you play them?

I think it was around 2008 when I first gave it a try but I think it was not till around 2011 till I bet it

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/381097222307192832

We're pretty much guaranteed Half Life 3, Steambox and something else.

HALF LIFE 4!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just saw on the verge site a theory that the three annoucements are the good-better-best specifications for the steam box

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bambi wrote: »
    Just saw on the verge site a theory that the three annoucements are the good-better-best specifications for the steam box

So we meet again Buzz Killington.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    I think it was around 2008 when I first gave it a try but I think it was not till around 2011 till I bet it

That's the thing about video games. They can get out-dated really quick.
    In my opinion, Metal Gear Solid 1 for the playstation is one of the greatest games ever made. But ask anyone to play it now and it'll come off as a pixalated-mess with terrbile controls and camera :pac:

I remember playing half life 1 in 2003 (In preperation for Half Life 2) and thinking that while the game was good, it didnt blow me away. By that time the graphics looked clunky and the likes of Halo improved on the FPS genre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Three announcements sounds exciting; I suppose if we accept one of them will be the SteamBox, that leaves two mysteries. Honestly, I kinda hope that if there's a game announced at all, it'll be that mysterious space/sci-fi project that was seen during a tour of the Valve offices a few years back. The concept art looked fascinating & very creative; given how much of a Duke Nukem HL3 could be, a safer bet might be a new IP.

That's the thing about video games. They can get out-dated really quick.
    In my opinion, Metal Gear Solid 1 for the playstation is one of the greatest games ever made. But ask anyone to play it now and it'll come off as a pixalated-mess with terrbile controls and camera :pac:

I remember playing half life 1 in 2003 (In preperation for Half Life 2) and thinking that while the game was good, it didnt blow me away. By that time the graphics looked clunky and the likes of Halo improved on the FPS genre.

Heard a few people say that before about mgs 1 and how if you play any version play the twin snakes version.

never in my life i wanted to smack someone at the back of the head with such a remark :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

My money is on one announcement being Steambox and the other two being hat add ons for Left 4 Dead 2 and Dota 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

C14N wrote: »
    My money is on one announcement being Steambox and the other two being hat add ons for Left 4 Dead 2 and Dota 2.

Linux themed hats at that

bizmark wrote: »
    Linux themed hats at that

red hat redemption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

Was left4dead3 confirmed yet?
    That and steambox probably.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Was left4dead3 confirmed yet?
    That and steambox probably.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Based on that site, it looks like the announcements won't all come at once and they'll be staggered. There has to be some kind of significance with the little circle symbols inside each black circle too, has anyone figured it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

C14N wrote: »
    has anyone figured it out?

Redditors have probably come up with dozens of theories by now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Im guessing it'll be the steambox, source 2.0 and their first game on the engine... hopefully hl3.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Apparently they're spreading the announcements out. So on Monday we will get Announcement 1, then on Tuesday we will get Announcement 2, then on Wednesday we will have Announcement 2: Episode 1.

that image... half of a cat...the steambox... a cat in a box, schrodinger..only half alive..then only three buttons on the controller...half... life...3: cat edition

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

All of the announcements will be related to Steam it seems. Interesting tweet from Marc Laidlaw:

https://twitter.com/MarcLaidlaw/status/381258691049050112
    @aaronrussell15 I thought the statements have been remarkably clear that this is about Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Steam for PS4/One?

It should be noted that Laidlaw is one of the writers/level designers for the Half Life series

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Overheal wrote: »
    Steam for PS4/One?

It should be noted that Laidlaw is one of the writers/level designers for the Half Life series

and he sure did lay down the law in that tweet too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I hate this thread.

Gimme HL3 and stop fukking about valve.thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Mr.S wrote: »
    "Steam" could include Source 2.0, Steambox & HL3 though, technically. So its still very vague!

True, although Marc usually doesn't bull**** much on twitter. He is the one that has had to break it to the community that they were reading into things far too much in the lead up to countless past announcements.

Marc is very connected to the Half Life community, and he knows what the community is going through. At times you can sense that he feels sorry for the community, and he certainly adopts a different approach to interacting with fans as compared to Valve's PR guru Doug Lombardi.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Then why cant he tell the people that gave them a career what the massive hold up is on the next installment

wow, that sounded ridiculously self entitled. I must be really annoyed.

Overheal wrote: »
    I must be really annoyed.

Aren't we all! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I wonder what the thought process is?

HL 3 will be an automatic slam dunk. It could be terrible and still make an absolute killing on hype alone.

Advertisement