Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Gabe Newell = Monty Python and the Holy Grail's Arthur?

Half Life 3 - Wii U exclusive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gbear wrote: »
    Aren't they releasing a next gen Console?

Maybe they're waiting for it to launch HL3 as it's flagship game?
    Surefire way to guarantee your console sells out within hours. Bastards.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

They aren't releasing a console in that respect, more a box that plays all steam games.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ancient bump, bug tracking software from Valve was leaked today:

19389869ad9d237e8fcfc15e2fc240b7_content_large.png

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

This thread is nothing but a filthy tease :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was gonna post this but was a fraid of the 'OMGZ I thought this bump meant HL 3 had been announced!' posts :(

So, Spring 2014 release date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Hmm, maybe its time I actually download and play half life 2. Is it really that good huh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Not again. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sarky wrote: »
    Not again. :(

I posted just for you. How's that puppet show getting on? :pac:

Hmm, maybe its time I actually download and play half life 2. Is it really that good huh

Don't bother, overhyped crap that will turn you into a whining baby asking 'where is my half life 3' every 3 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The full dumped list is here:

http://pastebin.com/Hm1dpcvX

but it includes things like Bovril, CoffeeSnobs, Cries Unheard, Thugz4Life, Warhammer for Men and the curious "WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB_EWEWEWEWEWEWEW_GAGAGAGAGAGA". So I'm thinking it doesn't mean much that there's a group in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not particularly. It's a solid, cliched shooter that pales in comparison to the wonderful original.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Spear wrote: »
    The curious "WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB_EWEWEWEWEWEWEW_GAGAGAGAGAGA".
    I think that's coming out on the CDi....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭briany

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not particularly. It's a solid, cliched shooter that pales in comparison to the wonderful original.

I'd totally use the Phoenix Wright 'objection' jpeg here if I wasn't pretty sure I've used it in this thread already somewhere in response to a similar observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Half life 2 is incredibly overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

cloud493 wrote: »

HL2 was released November 2004. I challenge you to go back and look at the FPS games that came out in the preceding two years. Nothing comes close and for many years after HL2, it was untouched when it came to graphics, game-play, physics, storyline, character development and atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Its just not pokemon.

Falthyron wrote: »
    HL2 was released November 2004. I challenge you to go back and look at the FPS games that came out in the preceding two years. Nothing comes close and for many years after HL2, it was untouched when it came to graphics, game-play, physics, storyline, character development and atmosphere.

Too bad its not 2004, its 2013. I'm sure when it came out it blew everyones socks off, but these days it does not hold up as well as the internet would have you think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Too bad its not 2004, its 2013. I'm sure when it came out it blew everyones socks off, but these days it does not hold up as well as the internet would have you think.

I take it you don't think much of Half Life 1 then? Because having played it (semi) recently, it holds up much, much worse than HL2 does.

• Advertisement

I've only played an hour or so of the first half life, on the ps2, so I wouldn't be one to comment :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i actually think hl1 holds up much better than hl2....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Thing is.. a lot of people have been playing games since before 2004... and therefore their opinions are based from when they actually played it... do you want people to replay a game every year just so they can update their opinion to ensure they don't overrate a game based on current standards ??

People are hyped for HL3 because its likely that it'll be another great game from valve. Im mostly hyped for it because with HL3 will probably come a new Engine... boom ! mod heaven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Falthyron wrote: »

I only played the original Deus Ex about 6 years ago and the original Half Life a few years ago. Immensely enjoyed both. A good game will stand the test of time. I can still enjoy classics such as Final Fantasy VI as well as modern greats like Mass Effect.
    Half Life 2 wasn't bad, just lacking. It's very sold and incredibly slick. For me the only thing special about it is the mods that are available. The story is dull while the gameplay is gimmicky and forgettable.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

i actually think hl1 holds up much better than hl2....

I dunno; even if you ignore the elephant - or should that be Gonarch? - in the room that is the entire god-awful Xen portion, much of the level design in HL1 was quite lacklustre & could be pretty frustrating & meandering at times. While the gunplay's still pretty tight & the pacing an upwards curve (until Xen), many of the levels felt like something out of a mod map-pack tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I genuinely can't take of any game since 2004 that has achieved such a perfect relationship between gameplay, narrative and world building. The mechanics are exhilaratingly robust, the engine so accomplished even developers today can work wonders with it (it does finally need an upgrade, granted).

Playing through Half Life 2 (and Episode 2 - not so much Episode 1) was an experience I wish I could 'forget me now' just to experience fresh again. Really, nine years on, it's remains effectively peerless, only a handful of titles operating on the same plain of imagination and mechanical mastery. I personally don't think I'd feel much different if it had have only been released a year ago. The only disappointment, IMO, is that some of the design evolutions - particularly its seamless flow and pace - have only barely filtered into the wider medium.

I don't think HL 1 didn't hold up as well as HL 2 but still fantastic to play with Source. HL 2, years on is still class. Ravenholm is better than most full 'Survival Horror' games

• Registered Users Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭briany

Both of those games are amazing for their time and you could go back, play either one and have a great time. Doubly so now with the release of Black Mesa.

I love the atmosphere in HL2. It's portrayal of a sci fi dystopia is worthy of a feature film. It's eerie and it doesn't insult your intelligence either. The effects of the offworld rulers are insidious and I like that the game breathes to allow you to take in the carefully crafted world. Actually, for an FPS it's definitely on the lower end of the action scale and it allows you to go and explore while not being a sandbox, strictly speaking. There is great action too but it's not what the game's about. It's a game that wants you to look around and appreciate the little touches, and you should, because there's lots of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Pong is incredibly overrated.

Too bad it's not 1972, it's 2013. I'm sure when it came out it blew everyone's socks off, but these days it does not hold up as well as the internet would have you think.

• Advertisement

Opinicus wrote: »
    Pong is incredibly overrated.

Too bad it's not 1972, it's 2013. I'm sure when it came out it blew everyone's socks off, but these days it does not hold up as well as the internet would have you think.

Not really the same thing is it/

Advertisement