Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visit Jim O'Driscoll’s Christmas Lights

• 02-12-2011 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭

“Jim’s Christmas Lights”

On the 8th of December, No. 75 Elm Park will light up for Christmas and for the late Jim O’Driscoll. Jim passed away earlier this year at the age of 58 from complications of type 2 diabetes.

For ten years, Jim lit up his house with Christmas lights and filled his garden with reindeers and snowmen. He asked people to come and see them and in return he asked for a small donation towards charity. He raised thousands for Crumblin’s Children’s Hospital, Cahercalla Hospice and the Clare Sunset Foundation, among others.

Jim had originally planned to raise money for Diabetes Ireland with his Christmas lights in December 2010 but sadly he took ill and passed away before it could become a reality. Because of this, Jim’s wife, Ann is dedicating the lights to his memory this year.

The official switching on of the lights will take place at 5:30pm on Thursday, the 8th December.

On Saturday, the 10th of December, between 4pm and 7pm, there will be a special guest appearance from Santa Claus. “Everyone’s invited and we’ll be having mince pies, mulled wine, hot food and some treats for the children” says Ann O’Driscoll.

The lights can be seen at No. 75 Elm Park, Gort Road, Ennis (behind Ennis Swimming Pool) every evening from the 8th of December to the 6th of January between 4 – 11pm.

The Clare branch of Diabetes Ireland hopes that lots of families from Ennis and the surrounding areas in Co. Clare will come out to see Jim’s Christmas Lights and to support his wish to raise money for diabetes awareness and education. People can make a donation in Jim’s memory to Diabetes Ireland by calling 1850 909 909 or by logging onto www.diabetes.ie and clicking the “Quick Donate” icon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Thanks Gra for letting us know about this :).

I remember taking my daughter to see Jim's Lights a couple of years ago. Jim was a gentleman and it is lovely that his wife, Ann has decided to carry on the tradition in his memory. I will be visiting family in Ennis during Christmas so I will definitely call by. Jim O'Driscoll RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

I am sorry to hear he passed away, what a lovely man he was.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Thanks for letting us know! I have brought my kids there for years and will continue the tradition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Pebbles82

This is a great tribute and Im sure he will be beaming down from heaven with love and pride for his family at such a difficult time. It might be an idea to put it on Facebook too and spread the word to get plenty of Clare support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Pebbles82 wrote: »
    This is a great tribute and Im sure he will be beaming down from heaven with love and pride for his family at such a difficult time. It might be an idea to put it on Facebook too and spread the word to get plenty of Clare support

Thank you so much for those words. Ann O'Driscoll just did a radio interview on ClareFM's Morning Focus Show with John Cooke. We're amateurs at the promotion game and all suggestions are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I visited today with my 3 year old and she was amazed like my other kids before her!! Such a beautiful tradition, she got a lollipop and i donated!

Happy Days!!

A Facebook page is definitely the way to go, I told everyone on my FB page and they copied and pasted the info onto theirs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Ann O'Driscoll is in a bit of a pickle - the marquee she uses to give people shelter for when they come to visit Santa blew down in the wind the other day and broke.

Is there anyone out there who could loan her a 20ft marquee-like-shelter for about 4 hours this evening? Call 087 641 5747 if you can help.

We would really, really, really appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Pebbles82

Just wanted to say thank you to the O'Driscoll family for a touching tribute, my family is plagued with Diabetes and we went to see and support the light display when we were all home at Christmas, we shed a tear as a family and it reminded us how lucky we are. Thank you for supporting all diabetics and especially as it seems remembering a very much loved Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I called over the Christmas too with my 3 yr old. His jaw dropped with wonder. Certainly a highlight of the Christmas for me.
    Well done for doing this , I knew Jim from the 250 mile Cycle - we'd be struggling away on the hills and he'd say "off you go I'll take it handy", next thing you know he was above waiting for me after blagging a lift with the repair van...all set to go again. Some character!

• Advertisement
Advertisement