Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do it?

Options
  • 02-12-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

These threads are excellent and really are inspirational, some of them are way out of my league but I really enjoy reading those Threads that start with people who haven’t run before and who end up completing a marathon.

Motivation
    My motivation to run was to lose weight I am 42 male, father to four kids, husband to a great wife but my weight was definitely holding me back not just through being unable to do things with the kids but also embarrassment at my appearance. January 1st I was 114.5KG and struggling to tie my laces as the belly was getting in the way. I have been a yo yo dieter and over the previous year had lost weight but in the space of six months had put it all back on and more.

Weight Loss
    So I resolved to do something about it. I lost some weight during the first couple of months of the year but lost motivation and by May had put most of the weight back on and on the 17th of May was 111.9KG. At this point I knew I could not lose the weight myself without some help so I re-joined Weight Watchers. I have been on these programs before and they work, it is not rocket science all they tell you is eat healthy and eat less than you need to and that should result in you losing weight. I followed the program and by the start of August I was down to 101KG.

Exercise
    Now apart from golf I was getting no exercise so I decided I needed to get back to doing some. In 2010 I had done some running, I had even bought my Garmin 405, so I decided it was time to get running again. I decided to follow a program so started with the C25K. I love this program and would recommend it to anyone who has not exercised. It starts you off slowly which is brillant when you feel you will die after running 1 minute.
    I stuck with the program and completed it, with the help of the C25K app on my iphone ,on Friday 21st Of October with a final run of 5K in uder 28 minutes. It was great to feel that I could run 30 minutes without stopping but I knew this was just a stepping stone to run my ultimate distance which was to run 10K. At this stage I had lost 4Kg and was down to 96Kg

B210K
    The same makers of the C25K app also made a 10K app called B210K (Bridge to 10K) so I decided I would try and do this, it is a six week program aimed at graduates of C25K program. My first run was on the 24th of October, I have to say the thought of running 10K at that stage was very daunting, it still is today, but I am glad to say I have stuck with the program and tomorrow I will run my last run of the program which will hopefully be 10K in just under an hour. I have also lost a further 5KG and am now a more respectable 92Kg

As I got to the middle of this program I knew I would finish it and so to ensure I continued I wanted to set a new goal. I decided that my next challenge is to do a half marathon and have duly signed up for the Wicklow half marathon on the 25th of March.

So tomorrow’s run will be the first in my log. If you have read all this fair play to you, If I am the only one reading this then fair play to me. Onwards and downwards (weight wise.)

Goals for 2012
    Run Half Marathon in 2:07
    Weigh 80Kg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Good luck with the log, your flying already

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Thanks Ronnie

Completed B210K program today. Ran 10.28km in 1 hour. Bit of a breeze in the last parts of the run but I was happy to have completed this program in a PB, 10KM came in 58:16. I was really hanging on in the end.

Monday I start the half Marathon training with some strenght and stretching.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Well done Lar, sounds like you're flying so far. Keep up the good work:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

BTW, if you are running regularly, make sure, if you haven't done so already:

1) You have the right shoes
    2) You study correct running form

Not knowing this, meant for me, after approx 1 year of running every morning, my knees got very sore.

Also, maybe you'd light to consider something like the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT06UAzB8nk

I have had great results in terms of well being and energy drinking something like this every morning for the last three weeks.

• Advertisement

turbot wrote: »
    BTW, if you are running regularly, make sure, if you haven't done so already:

1) You have the right shoes
    2) You study correct running form

Not knowing this, meant for me, after approx 1 year of running every morning, my knees got very sore.

Also, maybe you'd light to consider something like the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT06UAzB8nk

I have had great results in terms of well being and energy drinking something like this every morning for the last three weeks.

You bring up a good point I don't think I do know proper running form. Can you recommend where I could find out.

Thanks

LarMan

Monday
    Strenght training

Small weights with 2 sets of 12 reps
    Benchpress
    rows
    Triceps
    Curls
    Crunchs
    Lunges

Tuesday

A nice easy 3 mile run around work. Pace was kept deliberately slow as I was running with a friend who is recovering from a knee injury so we didn't want to push it.

Route is relatively flat with gentle inclines, cold at the start with a nice cold breeze into us.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133006684

Wednesday

So today called for interval training. 5 X 400 at 5K pace. So my 5K goal is to reduce my current time to under 25 minutes. To do that I need to clip along at 12km an hour.

So after a warmup I started the first interval. I was judging pace based on the speed I feel when doing 10 Kph. The intervals were as follows

Interval 1 - 1:50.8
    Interval 2 - 1:55.2
    Interval 3 - 1:53.9
    Interval 4 - 2:06.2
    Interval 5 - 2:08.4

So I came in about 6 seconds faster than 12kph so close to bang on. However the last two intervals were slower than i would have hoped, they were uphill but it was not a big hill by any stretch of the imagination, more a gentle rise.

So the aim was to complete the rest intervals at 10kph. These came out as

Rest 1 - .37km
    Rest 2 - .37km
    Rest 3 - .34km
    Rest 4 - .35km
    Rest 5 - .31km

So slightly over 10kph pace. I was really feeling it at the end as it was uphill. Plenty of work to do to get to sub 25 but I enjoyed the intervals as it gives you some thing to look forward, that is the slowing down after the run :D

Thursday

Strenght training following the strenght exercises as outlined in Hal Higdons half marathon plan

Friday

5 KM around work. I was due to do this yesterday but with the wind decided to postpone to Friday. I did the run same as on Tuesday but reversed it and upped the pace. Average pace was 5:47 per KM.

5Km on Saturday and 8 Km on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

LarMan wrote: »
    Wednesday

So today called for interval training. 5 X 400 at 5K pace. So my 5K goal is to reduce my current time to under 25 minutes. To do that I need to clip along at 12km an hour.

So after a warmup I started the first interval. I was judging pace based on the speed I feel when doing 10 Kph. The intervals were as follows

Interval 1 - 1:50.8
    Interval 2 - 1:55.2
    Interval 3 - 1:53.9
    Interval 4 - 2:06.2
    Interval 5 - 2:08.4

So I came in about 6 seconds faster than 12kph so close to bang on. However the last two intervals were slower than i would have hoped, they were uphill but it was not a big hill by any stretch of the imagination, more a gentle rise.

So the aim was to complete the rest intervals at 10kph. These came out as

Rest 1 - .37km
    Rest 2 - .37km
    Rest 3 - .34km
    Rest 4 - .35km
    Rest 5 - .31km

So slightly over 10kph pace. I was really feeling it at the end as it was uphill. Plenty of work to do to get to sub 25 but I enjoyed the intervals as it gives you some thing to look forward, that is the slowing down after the run :D

Best of luck with your goals Lar and well done already. I think you may have struggled with your last 2 intervals as you were not really slowing down that much during the rest period. don't be afraid to slow right down during the rest period

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Best of luck with your goals Lar and well done already. I think you may have struggled with your last 2 intervals as you were not really slowing down that much during the rest period. don't be afraid to slow right down during the rest period

Thanks Pistol I am a slave to the clock and even though I know I should be taking my time, I am in a rush to get faster, patience is not one of my strong points. I think for the next inteval run I will actually walk between runs so as to give myself a better chance of doing the intervals at the speed I would like to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Rest intervals are for resting - stop running, walk, jog slowly, whatever, but don't be looking at your watch thinking "oh no! I'm resting too slowly :eek:"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Also run your intervals at your current 5K pace not your goal 5K pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Bravo to you, LarMan. What you have already accomplished and what you set out to accomplish are inspiring. Best of luck to you.

Saturday

3 miles, weather was nice and Fresh.

Sunday

So 5 miles called for, Work Christmas party the night before so plans to do this early in the morning vanished quickly. After a lie in till 10:30 and then the rugby, lunch and putting up the Christmas tree it was time to do the first of my LSR, a nice easy 5 miles. I took the slow part very seriously and never pushed the pace. I finished the run with a pace of 6:43 per KM which was slower than the pace I have initially set wich was a 6:30. As I mentioned before I am a bit of a slave to the stopwatch so keeping the pace slow was my goal.

Onwards to the Week 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best wishes Larman. Not the easiest time of year to be starting a training regime. Keep posting here and it'll keep you motivated.

Thanks slogger, yes hopefully it won't be as bad as last year.

Monday

Strenght training as per Hal Higdons recommended strenght exercises.

Tuesday
    3 mile easy run pace was, average pace was 6:25 per KM

No weight loss this week, probably down to the Christmas party.

Wednesday

30 Minute tempo run, watch was a bit all over the place so pace was faster than I had intended, cold at the start into a headwind but luckily that was only for a few minutes after that it was a nice run

Weight this morning was 89.5KG

• Advertisement

Thursday

Another 3 mile run, I have to say I prefer saying 5KM sounds longer. Easy enough pace, run was uphill to start and then downhill with the final KM being uphill again. Pace was 6 minute KM.

Weight Friday morning was 88.9kg

Saturday

Was meant to run this on Sunday but had to switch this to Saturday as we had some activities. 6 mile run at easy pace, felt good throughout the run

Sunday

3 mile run, This one felt tougher after the longer run yesterday.completed it at 6 minute per KM pace. Lovely night for a run, cold but not much wind so it was nice.

89.1kg on the scales on Monday morning. I did eat all round me over the weekend so expect that to go up as all that lovely fattening food settles in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Great stuff. very impressive keep it up!

Monday

Strenght exercise for right arm, lifted a a lot of full glasses of alcohol.

Tuesday
    Oh my god in a very bad way in the morning, did not get out bed until 2:30. Felt better by 7pm so went out and did a 3.5 mile run in the rain, felt very shaky but managed to get through it in one piece.

Oh and I'll never drink again! :D

Wednesday

Intervals 6 x 400 meters with 1.5 minutes of walking in between.

Thursday

3 miles stready run. The weather is nice and mild again which is nice so it was back into the shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I lost about 2 stone in a few months. Very similar to yourself. If you have the time running slower and for longer distances is more of a fat burning exercise. If 80KG is the goal and its because you want a BMI of 25 or under your like me also. Running intervals is a way your more likely to injur yourself and then be pissed off cause you can't do anything for a few days or even a week. Running at a nice pace (your not out of breath) and for a longer distance will make the weight fly off more. Say call it jogging as in not a running stride (something you feel like you can do all day) It has taken me a year and a half to know why running slower is better for me. Like if you run as far as you can at 10k pace 3 times a week you will eaily be able to run sub 2hrs for the 1/2. If you are running like 9-10 min pace and over an hour for a session then you will get to your 1/2 goal. I am new to running. Did my first 5k in March and 1/2 in may 1hr 57 and 1/2 in june 1hr 51. Went from 94KG to 82KG. Regarding drink. It depends on what you are drinking if your not looking to give up. If you drink pints all the time then thats a lot of calories to shift. If you try and shift to less calorie drinks when you can like having wine, spirts and diet soda rather than beer all the time. I know there is something about drinking pints in the pub but try away from drinking stout and its the worst. I can show you what I did the last 3 months this year. You would be well able for it and you can see how slow I was. If you are looking for more info drop me a PM.

Christmas is Over

So 11 days since my last log and I can safely say the diet has suffered greatly in that time. I haven't weighed myself today but I would guess I have put on 8 lbs. This despite the fact that I have continued running during the week off. The only consolation is that what went on fast will come off fast as well.

Saturday the 24th of December 2011

Was out the night before so left the car at the restaturant and got a taxi home. The next afternoon I ran over to get it, the distance was just over 5 miles.

Tuesday the 27th of December 2011
    A nice easy 3.5 miles

Wednesday the 28th of December 2011
    35 minute tempo run

Friday the 30th of December 2011
    3 mile run, should have done this on thursday but couldn't so switched to Friday

Saturday the 31st of December 2011
    3 mile easy run

Sunday the 1st of January 2012
    7 miles, this was the longest run I have ever done, I had a new route so that made it easier mentally. It was a nice afternoon and with the new scenery it was very enjoyable.

So despite the inevitable weight gain I was delighted to have gotten all my runs in. Looking forward to next Sundays long run.

Tuesday

4 miles steady pace, new runners being used now Asics Gel not sure what model. Felt a little twinge in right calf but nothing serious.

Weight this morning was 91.2 so 2.1 KG gained in just over two weeks, impressive. Back on the straight and narrow now so should see that weight dissapear as the milage increases each week .

• Advertisement

Wednesday

400 meter Intervals X 7

Conditions were fairly windy out there but thankfully the rain was not too bad. I finished the run and was jogging home. I was going from the road to the kerb and my foot slipped off the kerb. It feels a bit sore now, certainly could not run on it. Hopefully it will be OK tomorrow after rest fo 24 hours.

Advertisement