Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Saturday

My longest run ever today and it was a bit dissapointing. I have signed up for the Dublin Half Marathon and used this run as a rece for that. I got my drinks belt ready and also some more water to have in the car post run. I planned to run this at around the 6 minute per KM pace. Weather was very nice when i set off at about 10 past 8 in the morning.

It was nice to run in a new area and the route for the most part is pretty flat so despite feeling like I had heavy legs it was OK going and the first 7KM or so passed over with no real issue. I had my first drink at 6KM and planned other drinks at 12KM and 18KM. Everything was going OK until I hit about 17KM which was the turn back into the park from connyngham road. This is the start of the hills which also conincided with the start of a blister on the insole of my right foot. Now I have never had any blisters while running before and I was wearing my 1000 miles socks which I find great, so getting this blister was a bit unnerving and coupled with the hills I really began to suffer.

Looking back over the last 5 and half KM I took 11 walking breaks to combat the blister and just as to try and keep going. I really did not have much energy and those 5.5KM took me 37 minutes. I was surprised that suffered so much as I had done 12 miles previously without having any issue and I didn't think the additional 2 miles would pose that much of an issue.

My knee is also starting to hurt as well and I think that I may be runing on shoes that are past it. I have them since the start of the year and have over 600 miles in them and even though they don't look that worn I think the cushioning is gone. I will get a new pair before my next run.

I also think I need to start thinking about getting some additional nutrition on the run. So my next long run on Saturday will hopefully be on new runners and I will get to try some nutritional bars or gels.

Summary
    22.4 KM in 2:12:51 @ 5:56 per KM pace

Tuesday

New runners put into play today, glad to report no ill effects after the 4 mile run. The blister did not reappear although at times I did feel there might be soem slight irritation at that spot. The 7 mile run tonight should show if that is the case.

Summary 6.47KM in 37:08 @ 5:44 km per min

Wednesday

Wet Wet Wet, 7 miles in almost constant wind and rain makes you feel alive. I had expected the evening to be dry going by the forecast and so didn't pay much attention to the actual weather conditions outside other than it was dry when I walked out of my house. Within 5 minutes the heavens oopened and I was soaked through. It stopped raining after about 5 minutes and the next 25 minutes or so were dry. I was runing down by the seafront in Bray and it was rough but not enough to deter one guy in a kayak. The weather closed in quickly again given the wind and it was soon pouring down again and I was making the turn back into it.

I was actually happy with this run as the uphill sections that I dread weren't too bad and overall the pace and effort required were good. No sign of my blister returning so that is good news.

Summary 7 miles in 1:04:34 @5:46 per KM pace

Friday

Skipped Thursday as I was out so did the 4 mile run on Friday.

Saturday

So after the semi failure of a run last week, I decided that I needed to change my nutritional intake on the LSR as the milage is now up at 15 miles. the plan was to take two gels at 8KM and 16KM. I also have about a half litre of Lucozade sport. The two gels were different makes as I need to try out a few to see which ones I like.

I was also meeting up with my brother after 10K so was looking forward to running with someone for a change as all my training has been by myself. The first 10K were fine but it took a while for me to get comfortable. At the 8K I took the first gel which was not very thick and as I took it with the drink the taste did not bother me too much. I met up with my brother at the 10K and after about a minute or two we set off again on our run. He was in training for the marathon as well but had been on holidays for the previous 2 weeks and had not done any running during that time and it showed. We were running uphill slowly but the pace was still too much and he had to take a walking break. At this stage he did not want to hold me up so after 3K together I went off by myself. This part of the run rises from 40 meteres up to 140 meters over the course of 6 KM and it is a real drag, however I knew once I got to the top of that climb it would be fairly plain sailing for the final 8Km as it then drops back down to 27M.

Another gel at 16KM and this one was a lot thicker, still with the drink it was not too bad. I have heard people talk about how it can be difficuly to take these and that they can cause problems with your stomach. I did feel like I might need a toilet break at 20K as I felt I my bowels loosening :o but luckily it was a false alarm and I was able to finish. I was pleased with how the run went as the changes in elevation can be quiet a challenge. I do feel that it is much easier to have those KMs at the end be downhill but the marathons last 8KM is pretty much downhill or flat so I take some comfort from that.

Summary 24KM in 2:20:00 @ 5:50 per KM

Tuesday

given I did my last run early on Saturday morning, it was a full 72 hours since my last run. A bit fast but glad to be back running again.

Summary 4 miles in 35:56 @ 5:31 per KM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

are you taking the gels with lucozade? if so be carefull of this as it can cause .....issues!

Wednesday

Off down to Cork for a few days. My family were already down there so I decided to take the train. It just happens that the distance from where I work to Heuston train station is 7 miles if you take a slightly indirect route. It is also mostly downhill which is also a nice bonus.

I needed to take a change of clothes with me for the train so I decided to invest in a new backpack that also doubles as a hydration pack. So on Wednesday it got it's first try out albeit without any liquid. In order to cater for the downhill nature of the run I did run quicker than pace gave myself and hour to run to the station, there was some waiting at a few junctions but generally it was not too bad, a littel crowed on footpaths around St Stephens green but no real issue.

Summary 7 miles in 59:14 @ 5:17 min/km

Thursday

The reason we were down in Cork was for the first anniversary of my father in law. So after an express mass of 19 minutes. I decided to run out to the cemetery to visit the grave. Again the distance was spot on at about 4 miles. This run has some hills and a short section without pavement but was generally fine. I paid my resepects and even got to visit the grave of legendary guitarist Rory Gallagher who is buried in the same cemetery.

Summary Distance: 6.40 km Time: 33:26 Avg Pace 5:13 min/km

Saturday
    Only the 13 miles needed and I plotted a nice route around Cork city center which take in some of the half marathon course and is close to the river. Weather was very nice which was great as I had expected rain but it was blue sky and breezy. The new hydra pack was put in use and filled with 750ML of lucozade sport. I was also taking one powerbar gel with me and the idea was to take this at 11km.

I used google maps to recce the route as I was not familiar with some of the roads. I also got to drive some of it as my sister in law lives along the route. I had in mind that I would like to do this route in 2 hours so slightly faster than long run pace but slower that marathon pace. The hydration pack is good it would obviously be better not to have anything on you but it was a big improvement on the water bottle waist pack I normally wear as this tends to slip down when filled at the start of the run. I was also able to have my phone as well. It is also easier to take on liquids as you run. The downside is that it is very difficult to get the power gells from the pockets without taking the pack off. As I did not want to take it off I nearly dislocated my should trying to reach the pocket on the front of the pack, eventually I get it and took the gell. I'm glad to say that I had no adverse affects from the gell. All in all a good run and I met my target of a sub 2 hours. The reason I wanted to try for sub 2 hours is that the Dublin half marathon is on the 15th of September and I want to pick a target. If I can do sub 2 in training then I should be able to do 1:55 in a race, or at least I will try to do 1:55.

Summary Distance: 21.01 km Time: 1:58:26 Avg Pace 5:38 min/km

Tuesday

4 miles today, decided not to look at the watch and run by feel and at an easy pace and see what pace I was running at. I'm not sure I did it properly, I felt like I was running slowly and was consious at times that I was speeding up. however at times I felt the effort was more than it should be.

Splits came out as

1 5:23.6 1.00 5:24
    2 5:25.0 1.00 5:25
    3 5:41.0 1.00 5:41
    4 5:34.0 1.00 5:34
    5 5:39.0 1.00 5:39
    6 5:33.0 1.00 5:33
    7 2:03.4 0.40 5:07

So I'm not sure where I am at. The pace was just about marathon pace which is great if I was really running easy. On the other hand I might just be fooling myself into thinking I was running slowly when in fact I was running hard. I suppose the real answer would be in the heart rate. I haven't run with the heart rate monitor for a while as I find it distracting but I might did it out again and see what my heart rate is running at this pace.

Summary Distance: 6.40 km Time: 35:19 Avg Pace: 5:31 min/km

Wednesday

Hard run today, 8 mile pace run. the hard part was the two hills I face in the run, well actually it is one hill that I have to run up on one side and then on the way back up the other side. Pace wise I had hoped to be able to run up them at 5:30 per KM pace which is my marathon race pace but this soon went out the window. These hills start at an elevation of 49 meters and over the course of the course of the next two kilometers rise to a height of 133 meters. I managed to keep the speed up but lost some time on this climb however the next few kilometers were downhill so I knew I would make up some time. Sure enough I clawed back all the time I lost but now I needed to go back up the other side of the hill. The ascent on this hill is much steeper. It starts at 39m riseing to 133 meters but does so over a shorted distance.

The efforts earlier took their toll and I had to walk up most of this hill. Again some downhill sections allowed me to claw back some time but the last KM was very tough and I could not keep it on the 5:30KM pace.

Overall a very tough run and my calves know all about it today.

Summary: Distance: 13.02 km Time: 1:11:05 Avg Pace: 5:27 min/km

Thursday

Definately feeling the affects of the previous nights run. I felt tired and sluggish from the get go. I was trying maintain a 5:48 per KM pace and while I succeeded it was harder than it should be and so while done at an easy pace it was not an easy run.

Looking forward to a couple of days rest before the 17 miler on Sunday.

Summary: Distance: 6.40 km Time: 36:45 Avg Pace: 5:44 min/km

• Advertisement

Sunday

17 miles of torture. Beautiful morning for a run. The run was from Bray to Wicklow. After an initial climb after a couple of kilometers it was downhill for a while and I was pretty comfortable. Coming up to 13KM it started getting tougher, my feet were starting to get sore, my toes where numb and my feet were feeling really hot, despite using body glide on my feet and having my 1000 mile socks. I took a couple of breaks for a drink and instead of gells I was using a bar, this was a mistake as it took a long time to eat and given I had no appetite i struggled to finish it and infact through the last quarter into a bin.

Where I really started to struggle was in the last 5K. I felt like I was constantly running uphill, although my Garmin trace indicates it was pretty flat. I ended up taking short walks after each kilometer of the last 4.

It was nice to have finished it but I would not class it as a good run, in that I felt that I was wiped and I am worried that my feet are getting a terrible pounding.

Summary: Distance: 27.20 km Time: 2:39:36 Avg Pace: 5:52 min/km

Tuesday

5 mile recovery run. I kept the pace slow, just a little slower than my LSR pace. It really helped and I was comfortable all the way round. I may run my next LSR at this speed just to take the pressure off some what.

Summary: Distance: 8.54 km Time: 50:58 Avg Pace: 5:58 min/km

Humpty Dumpty had a not so great fall

Wednesday

Ran most of the way back from Work, this route is mostly downhill so it was pleasant. Kept the effort low but being downhill the pace was higher than needed. Nice run

Summary Distance: 13.00 km Time: 1:13:24 Avg Pace: 5:39 min/km

Thursday

Since my car was in work, I arranged to meet a collegue who would drive me in, I agreed to meet hime 5 miles from my house, so at 7 I set off from the house. I eat breakfast in work so I got up and dressed and headed out, ultimately I know this is bad as obviously you are dehydrated having not drunk anything in 8 hours, but one of the things I can't stomach in the morning is water! So being a relatively short run I though I would just suck it up and run. 500 meters into the run I needed to cross a road to get to the other side:D and for not apparent reason I tripped and down I went, a little skinned and pride dented I checked that I didn't hurt myself and feeling OK I kept on running. It was a hard run though which felt like a lot of effort with little pace.

The good news is that I don't have any more runs until Sunday morning when I do the 18 miler which I am planning to do along the marathon route. Plenty of time for a rest.:)

Summary Distance: 8.01 km Time: 45:20 Avg Pace: 5:39 min/km

Sunday

My first taste of the marathon ciricuit. I was up nice and early and in at the start for 8am. Nice morning for a run, not too warm which was great. I was wearing my camel backpack which must make some noise as I approach people with all the liquid swishing around. It almost acts like a bell as people get out of the way when I am coming.

The first few kms were fine, I was planning on 6 minute kms and the first two were a bit quicker as I tried to get used to the pace. By the fifth kilometer I was pretty happy with the pace, not breathing hard just chugging along. Got a little lost in the park so didn't take the exact marathon route. I also stopped briefly for a comfort break. And reached Chapelizoid gate feeling good and not needing to have taken the gell I was planning. I knew that there was the hill coming up after chapelizod but it wasn't too bad, I walked the last 100 meters so that I could take the gell and some fluids but I coul deasily have run.

The run into inchicore and south circular road were fine but then things started to get tough around crumlin. I just felt like it was a real slog. I took another gell around Walkinstown roundabout and continued on but it was hard going and my legs felt really heavy and I could feel the back of my calves stiffening up.

I got a little lost around ternure and instead of turning right on to orwell road I turned left on to rathgar road. So the last two KMs were off the marathon route.

So when I look back on this run I am happy that I didn't need to take any walk breaks other than my gell breaks. On the negative side it was still a hard run and I now have serious doubts about whether I can break 4 hours, it feels like it will be just about finishing rather than time.

Summary Distance: 29.00 km Time: 2:52:35 Avg Pace: 5:57 min/km

Tuesday

5 miles easy not. Went out with a view to doing an easy run, it's mostly downhill so the pace was quick so I decided I would maintain it for the first KM to try and get a sence of what it is to run faster than my normal pace, second KM was the same and so it went on until I was running at half marathon pace, when I got to the hills I decided to run up them hard to try and simulate what it will be like to run up the hills in the park. I ran the two KMS uphill and was duly shattered.

Summary Distance: 8.01 km Time: 42:04 Avg Pace: 5:15 min/km

Wednesday

Ran this one hard as a kind of a test for the half marathon, it is an easy course with most of the run downhill. As the days are getting cooler I was wearing my running jacket, this as it turned out was not needed and I was soon regretting having it.

I ran hard for the first 8KM and all were sub half marathon pace, the 9th KM was uphill over a predestrian bridge and this was the slowest KM at almost 6 minutes per KM. At this stage I was really feeling it. I kept at it and the last KM has an uphill finish and I ran up this. So apart from the 9th KM all the rest were sub or around half marathon pace.

However I don't think I could have carried on at that pace for much longer and the only reson I could do it at that pace was the nature of the course.

So really this has cemented my decision to abandon the thoughts of going for a sub 1:50 half and now I will focus on trying to get sub 1:55. I think this is doable and certainly more realistic. My strategy is to push on the downhill and try to claw back some time for the uphill section at the end. I will try and maintain 5:30 pace on the flat sections, and on the uphill sections I would like to do them sub 6 minutes.

Summary Distance: 13.01 km Time: 1:07:47 Avg Pace: 5:13 min/km

Thursday

On Wednesday I ran home from Work leaving the car there, so on Thursday morning at 7am I headed out the door to run the 5 miles to a spot where a collegue woul drive me in the rest of the way. It was always my intention to run these miles slowly, to preserve myself for the race on Saturday.

I needn't have worried I could not run fast, I felt shaky all the way through. Last week I did the same run at the same time and felt equally crap, I even managed to fall last week, which thankfully I avoided this week. I took a lucozade sport with me and took a couple of running breaks but this was a rotten run.

Summary Distance: 8.01 km Time: 46:31 Avg Pace: 5:48 min/km

Saturday

Dublin City Half Marathon 2012
    1:48:59

So the lead up to this race has been good and bad, training has gone well, no injuries and no missed runs. But I was not feeling it mentally. I had targetted this race to be a chance of going sub 1:50 but the closer I got to the race I just felt I could not achieve it. What's more I was reading that if I wanted to do a sub 4 hour marathon I would need to do this in race in under 1:50.

I had done a 13km run during the week which I ran at a good pace and by the end I was wrecked and the time was still outside what I would need for a sub 1:50! It was also mostly downhill which compounded my doubts.

Then I had the idea that I could just do 1:55 in this race and 4:15 in the marathon and I relaxed. It wasn't what I wanted but the reality was that it was what I was capable of.

So to Saturday morning, up at 7 porridge and tea for breakfast. I drove over to my brothers house for 8am and we headed off, we parked in the phoenix park and took our time getting ready, we left the car at about 10 past 9, bodyglide on and number on. As we walked up to the start we realised that we had parked quite a way back and could have driven further up to the start. We got a little panicked when at 9:30 we got to a sign that said we had another 20 minutes to go tot the start.

A quick spurt got us to the bag drop and then we did a quick warmup. Brother was doing his first half with the aim just to finish as his training has not gone well, not helped by dropping an IKEA box on his big toe!!

He headed to wave 3 and I headed to wave 2. I would have liked to have gone and introduced myself to the 1:50 pacers but I was a bit unsure of myself and didn't want to look like I was planning on running with them, that said my plan was to see if I could stay with them for as long as I could while feeling comfortable, and when the pace was too great I would slow down and finish as fast as I could and hopefully under 1:55.

Wave 1 went and we applauded. Wave 2 went and we were off and then we suddenly slowed down and then we were off for real. There were big crowds in this wave and we had to be careful as there was a lot of movement as we headed down the kyber. I was about 100 meters behind the pace makers and was happy with the pace. Down the kyber was easy and then came the first hill up wellington road, having so many people around you keeps you focusing on them rather than the hill and so I was able to maintain the distance to the pacemakers knowing the pace was taking care of itself. AS we made out way up north road I was still feeling comfortable but was looking forward to the water at the 3 mile mark. The water was in cups and trying to drink led to the usual spills and inability to breath.

On we went and I was still feeling fine, as we turned back onto chesterfield avenue I was still able to see the pacemakers and was happy with the gap. Down Chesterfield and on to whites road and Farmleigh, Can't say I got a good look at it but I did glimpse it. It was comforting to know that there was a nice downhill coming up and I used that to close the gap to the pacemakers. My breathing was fine and I was actually feeling really good.

We turned back into the park and I started thinking that once we got back on to Chesterfield Avenue it would be downhill again. I took a gell and some water at teh 7 mile mark and had to stop for a few seconds as there was no water ready. This was a bit annoying as the pacing group were no a good 300 meteres away. I quickened my pace and had restored the gap to about 100 meters as we approached the turn onto connygham road. My plan was going well and I caught the DiggerD2D at this stage. I knew at this stage that 1:55 was safe in the bag as with 4KM to go we were 30 seconds up on 1:50 pace. The pacers started to urge us on and I had a nice chat with DiggerD2D which took my mind off the hills and I was delighted that we were pretty much still on pace. My last experience of these hills a month ago was a blister and having to walk and jog up them. Now I started to feel that 1:50 was really doable. I knew I could aford to slow down and still make it. We crested the last hill and the pacers urged anyone with a finish still left in them to go for it so I did, well I sort of did I probably sped up by a few seconds but they were fast seconds.

Finally the finish line came into site and it was over. Official chip time was 1:48:58. I had taken 14 minutes off my PB from last March. I was over the moon, I got my goody bag and t shirt and went back to cheer on my brother who finished in 2:12:01 not bad for someone not properly trained.

Overall a great day- perfect conditions a PB, the only downside is 4 hours is back again

Tuesday

Back running after the elation of the half marathon result. Hamstrings and toes were the big problems after the race but by Tuesday I was feeling fine. Treated this run as a recoevery run so tried to keep the pace at 6:15 pace.

Headed out and even though the pace was slow, I was still feeling it. Ended up doing 9 KM in the end and slightly faster than I had wanted.

Summary: Distance: 9.02 km Time: 54:41 Avg Pace: 6:04 min/km

Wednesday

You would think that having done 13 miles at 5:08 pace per KM, that the thought of doing 5 miles at 5:30 per KM would be nothing to worry. However I don't look forward to these runs as I know they will be hard.

As I started out it was cold so running jackets are back on, this is great at the start but you soon feel like getting rid of it. I set off to try and go at a 5:30 pace but inevitably I started out to fast, I continued in that vain for the next 6 Kilometers even managing two sub 5 minute KM. I slowed down knowing the last two were uphill but I did push myself up those hills with an aim of getting up them sub 5:30 per KM. I managed this so was happy with that. I can remember at one stage a few months back being happy that I managed these last two KMs in under 6 minutes. Now I can do them in 5:20, not comfortably but not killing myself either.

Summary Distance: 8.01 km Time: 41:20 Avg Pace: 5:10 min/km

Thursday

5 miles on tired legs. Calf muscles felt a little tight.

Summary Distance: 8.01 km Time: 45:26 Avg Pace: 5:40 min/km

• Advertisement

Saturday

Second last 'Long' run, 19 miles. Nice day for a run. I started this just before 12 in the afternoon armed with a liter and a half of isotonic drink in my camel back and 3 powergels.

My route was to take me from Sandyford down to Dundrum and then on to terenure where I would pick up the marathon route and into town, then back out and to Sandyford again via Ranelagh. This would mean I would have two bites at Clonskeagh hill which I have never run before.

Those first few kilometers were all downhill and after 7 kilometers I was at the marathon route. I have previously run the route up to this point so I can now say I have run the marathon albeit over two days. Once you hit Orwell road it is mostly downhill with only the rise up near the end of Milltown road to contend with. I turned on to Clonskeagh road and I would say that the hill was not that big a deal but then again I had only down 12 kilometers at that stage so it was going to be interesting to see what it was like when I hit it again at 27KM.

I also saw Ray Darcy running, he looked pretty strong at that stage. I was feeling the need for a loo break so had figured I would stop at the Merrion shopping center. I was feeling pretty good all the way up Roebuck road and Fosters avenue but as soon as I got near Nutley avenue I started to feel tired, realised at that stage that I hadn't had a gell as yet and I may have left it a bit late. Took the gell and continued on down nutley lane until I came to the merrion shopping center. Wasted a few minutes looking for the toilets but suitably relieved I headed back out again. Followed the route down Shelbourne road and everything was grand, it was a little crowded around Trinity and Nassau street with a lot of dodging of people. As soon as I hit Merrion square again it was quiet again, I took another gel at this stage.

I had said to myself I would do this run at 6:15 per KM but of course I didn't but at least I did no it at about 6 minute per KM. Aerobically I was neve in trouble and always felt fine. The only issue was with my legs which at this stage were begining to feel sore. I did enjoy running this new route and with the help of Google maps streetview I was pretty familiar with the route. I managed Clonskeagh hill again with not too much trouble, I was never in danger of having to walk it. However once I passed Roebuck avenue the rest of the route was all uphill goinf from 35 meters to 80 meters over the next two kilometers and this was tough and took a lot out of me. I had planned to run all the way which would have been 20 miles but I decided that since today was only a 19 mile run I would stop at 31KM and use the last KM as a cool down period.

So overall it was a good run, Still makes me doubt my ability to complete the marathon in under 4 hours as the thought of another 11 KM after the run is very daunting. I should remind myself that I also did not feel I could break 1:50 in the half marathon and I did so I need to keep telling myself that it is possible.

Summary Distance: 31.01 km Time: 3:05:22 Avg Pace: 5:59 min/km

Tuesday

So the crap weather is back, I was lucky that there was a window of opportunity to get out while the rain stopped, coincided with my sons karate so I drove him down and headed off for 5 miles. I took it easy the first KM as it is uphill and in to the wind. It was cold on the hands at the start but I know at this stage that cold at the start usually means a comfortable run after the initial few minutes of discomfort.

I took the opportunity to go through Shanganagh park for what is probably the last time as it was getting dark but the time I got into it at 20 past 7. The week before it was full of kids practising football, today the pitches were waterlogged and the only people in there were dog walkers.

Part of the route was up a hill which I always find daunting, well yesterday it was very easy to run up, granted I didn't exactly sprint up it but it definately felt easier than previously.

Summary Distance: 8.03 km Time: 46:28 Avg Pace: 5:47 min/km

Wednesday

Last of the longish midweek runs, this was a slow one I kept the pace at about 6:15 per KM, I have to say it still felt hard and I was glad it was over when finished. No particular problems just felt tired.

Instead of listening to music I downloaded some podcasts on running. I'll continue to listen to them and see if there is any information I can glean but so far it is re-enforcing what I have already read.

Summary Distance: 12.90 km Time: 1:19:55 Avg Pace: 6:12 min/km

Friday

Should have done this run on Thurday but delayed it for a day. 5 miles

Summary Distance: 8.50 km Time: 47:20 Avg Pace: 5:34 min/km

Saturday

12 tired miles, ran it slow but felt tough all the way around.

Summary Distance: 19.40 km Time: 1:56:29 Avg Pace: 6:00 min/km

Lost a toenail yesterday, is there such a thing as a Nail Fairy?

Tuesday

I had the wind at my back for part of this run and I flet great, really strong and even went for a few strides. On the way back I had the wind in my face and did not feel strong.

So all I need to do is fiigure out how to have the wind at my back all the time.:D

Summary: Distance: 8.14 km Time: 46:55 Avg Pace: 5:46 min/km

Wednesday

Wasn't feeling it today, a head cold that I was worried might turn into a chest infection had been worrying me. By the time I got home I had decided not to do the run and actually went for a sneaky nap. it may all the difference had dinner and was awake and ready for the pace run. Even though I have run at this pace many times and for longer distances, it still fills me with dread. However I was able to maintain the pace without too much difficulty. Only one more pace run to do during this training cycle and it is only 4 miles.

Summary Distance: 8.13 km Time: 42:17 Avg Pace: 5:12 min/km

Thursday

5 miles at easy pace, notice I didnt day easy miles as they still felt tough with a lot of hills to be done.

Summary Distance: 8.15 km Time: 48:20 Avg Pace: 5:56 min/km

Saturday

This was the last of the very long runs and the pinnacle in terms of distance for the marathon training, 20 miles. Route I was doing was taking me from Bray to Blanchardstown. I got all my gear together. New sock and long sleeved running top for the occasion. I was also going to use 1.5 litres of sports drink which I mixed myself. For food it was 2 GU mint choc gels and a bag of sports jellies. The idea was to eat the Jellies at 8K and then have the gels at 16K and 24K. I would be sipping the drink along the way.

So off I went on what was a beautiful autumnal morning. I’ve run 20K of this route before, it takes me along the N11 and into Town, it goes through the phoenix park and then castleknock before arriving near Blanchardstown village.

The weather certainly made for a pleasant enough run at the start, the moon was still faintly visible against the blue sky. The initial 5K of this run contains a downhill section and then an incline. No problem with this and I was keeping the pace nice and slow. I took the jellies over the next two KM along with some drink. They were fine and pleasant to take, the only disadvantage witht them is that it takes a while to take compared to the gels. The next 5K was uphill with the last KM of this section being a real drag. I found this part quiet hard but I knew that once I crested the hill the next 11KM were all down hill or flat. I have to say that I was starting to feel sore on my legs. At 18KM I took the first of the gels. These GU mint choc gels taste nice but they are certainly thicker than the gels I normally take. Again I don’t feel like I get any boost from these but they proabably sustain me.

Along the way near Donnybrook I passed a cat which had come off second best with a car I suspect. Alot of flies all round it which all took off as I ran past, not a pleasant experience. It was nice to go through town and down the quays towards heuston but at this stage I was really starting to feel tired. My Achilles was hurting and I certainly didn’t feel very strong.
    The next 6 kilometers through the park and Castleknock really took it out of. Legs were feeling very heavy and the achilles was really sore. I didn’t want to have to walk but I think I needed a break as both physically and mentally I was shattered. I took a walking break at 27KM and took my next gel. I think I walked for about 3 minutes and then started up again. Of course stopping caused my achilles to get really sore, and I was limping starting running again, after a few hundred meteres the achilles warmed up and the limping stopped, at this stage I am plodding along but eventually I get out of the park which I have to say I was delighted to leave. I continued on but as I approaced 30K I gave myself another walking break, shorter this time. Aftre the 30K the route was downhill so that gave me a boost and the times picked up again. As I got to the end of the run I was just trying to finish and finish I did. Gave a pathetic attempt and some stretches and was sore for a while after the run.
    Now having been able to look at my Garmin data I can see that the end of this run was tough. It went from 3 meters at 24KM to 67 meters at 30KM so was pretty much all uphill for 5KM with no downhill section. I was more of a long drag than any serious hills, in fact it would be hard to even know you are going uphill, but it certainly took its toll on me.

Two days later and I am still a bit sore, noticibly around the achilles but not terribly. So in summary I am delighted that the run is done, it was very tough but I am hoping that with the taper, the adrenaline and the crowds I will be able to push thtough to the end of the race.

Summary Distance: 32.36 km Time: 3:19:10 Avg Pace: 6:09 min/km

Taper has begun

Tuesday

No real bad effects after the 20 miler on Saturday, two full days of rest certainly helps and my only concern was my achilles which while not sore seemed to be still stiff.

5 miles was the required run and I ran this nice and easy and with no ill effects.

Summary Distance: 8.61 km Time: 51:31 Avg Pace: 5:59 min/km

• Advertisement

Wednesday

4 mile pace run, ran too quickly and it was tough but only 4 miles so very doable. Weather was a bit misty and the pavements are starting to get full of leaves so need to be cautious about slipping.

Summary : Distance: 6.50 km Time: 34:26 Avg Pace: 5:18 min/km

Advertisement