Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Harbour + 60

• 02-12-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Next Wednesday (December 7th) is the 60th anniversary of Pearl Harbour.

I imagine there will be a lot of attention paid to it on TV, but I do not know if there will be any major commemorative events.

Does anyone know how this anniversary is going be marked?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I imagine there will be a lot of attention paid to it on TV, but I do not know if there will be any major commemorative events.

Probably not at all. Even in Irish History we had the 90th anniversary of the 1920 Bloody sunday, one of the bloodiest & most poignant events in our War of Independence, pass by a couple of weeks ago without any shred of commemoration in any of the Irish media.

Re pearl harbour I'd imagine one of the channels will show the michael bay flick, maybe a documentary repeated somewhere that sort of thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

2011 - 1941 = 70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Why would there be attention paid to it on TV here? It was one of the lesser events of WW2. Microscopic infact compared to some. The only reason it carries any importance in a historical sense is because it spurred the Americans on to engage in the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

snafuk35 wrote: »
    2011 - 1941 = 70

They kept quiet about the 1951 attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

dlofnep wrote: »
    Why would there be attention paid to it on TV here? It was one of the lesser events of WW2. Microscopic infact compared to some. The only reason it carries any importance in a historical sense is because it spurred the Americans on to engage in the war.

The American were already engaged in war before that. The economic stranglehold on Japan because Japan took control of Western interests in China and the Western Pacific while America was funneling weapons to the British and the Free French. The Soviets and the US were in competition for who could grab the spoils once Japan collapsed. Post war the Soviets propped up Mao while the Americans gave the French and British a license to try and hold on to their old colonies as proxies. When that didn't work the Americans got directly involved in Vietnam with Vietnam as China and Russia's proxies. The Americans gave up on Vietnam and made friends with China against Russia. Since 1989 and the fall of the Soviets, the US was top dog and now China is catching up.

Similarly 9/11 was only one event in a war that has been going on since President Nasser nationalized the Suez Canal. When the Ottoman Empire fell, the British and French carved up the Mid East, the Germans tried to grab it in WW2 and lost, the French and British were weakened and the US and Soviets became the rivals for the take over. The US became top dog and now the Chinese want a piece of the action! China's Syrian friends are going down the toilet and next is Iran.

WW3 will be fought over Iran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

"2011 - 1941 = 70"

All right, now is the time to admit I failed pass maths in the leaving. I got into TCD with my pass Latin.

Amazing though how time flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The 70th anniversary just passed was commemorated and this was reported on more heavily than previous anniversaries.
    The 69th anniversary was marked by a flypast by a Chinook helicopter - nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Delancey I'm not doubting you, but I saw nothing about it at all.

There seems to have been more media interest in Market Garden (Arnhem) for reasons that are not clear to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I suspect why we may hear more about the battle of Arnhem is that as close neighbours of Britain we get their TV which unsurprisingly will focus more on a battle which was a largely British affair as opposed to an American battle thousands of miles away in the Pacific.

Same reason why many people think the Greatest loss of life in WW1 was The Somme , many have never heard of Verdun.

Advertisement