Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with new build

Options
  • 02-12-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i recieved my new build parts from Amazon yesterday and i'm running into problems with it, heres what i have

Xigmatek Asgard case
    Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 mobo
    Intel I5 2500k
    8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram 2 x 4gb
    430w Corsair Builder Series CX430
    Lite-on DVD/RW
    Western Digital 160gb x 2

Basically its a budget build minus the GPU as i'll pick one up in the next 2 - 3 weeks,

my problem is that i have all parts fitted and when i press the power button the HDD and DVD drive both spin up and the cpu cooler spins up but on my monitor i get a check video cable warning, my monitor is connected to the vga port on the motherboard, i then took the low profile gpu from the brothers Dell Dimension, Nvidia 7300 LE :D, which works no problem but i get the same check video cable, i then tried out my usb ports on both the case and motherboard i/o panel and it seems none of them have power, i connected my keyboard, mouse and mobile mate card reader and i cant get power to any of them from both the mobo usb ports or front panel usb ports,

the monitor is working by the way as i had it connected to the Dell Dimension and it worked perfectly,

when i also boot it up i get no beeps even though i have the case internal speaker connected so cant diagnose fault codes,

the only port that seems to work on the back i/o panel is the clear cmos switch even when i have my ethernet cable connected to the gigabit lan theres no activity lights or anything.

when i plug in the psu and switch it on from the back theres a high pitched squeal and kinda screeching noise and its kinda the same when i power on the pc, i can faintly here it even when the cpu fan is spinning.

hopefully its something small and i'd appreciate all help and advice on this

i can provide photos of the parts on the inside should you need a look to see if you can see something wrong that i cant see.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

is the 8-pin power lead connected to the top of the motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Yes the only cables i have free and tucked away are the PCI-e and another cable with 3 sata peripheral (sp) connections and a floppy drive connector

P1020101.jpg
    P1020102.jpg
    P1020100.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Have you tried a different cable/connection? Does that board come with HDMI or DVI, for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Serephucus wrote: »
    Have you tried a different cable/connection? Does that board come with HDMI or DVI, for example?

What's the likelihood of a faulty board?

OP you used the standoffs to put the board in right?

What's the likelihood of a faulty board?

It's on the list of suspects alright. Difficult one to rule out too.

OP, what does the LED poster say when you're booting? (I.e. what's the last one it displays?) Didn't realise your board had one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Thank you Eamonn Brophy :D,

i'm so slow, never fitted the stand offs to the case before fitting the motherboard :o, instant boot up once i re-fitted the motherboard with stand offs in place, i was wondering yesterday why i had so many screws and strange looking ones left over :p

just loading up Windows 7 there so will give an update once i'm up and running in a while.

Thanks to all that replied with suggestions of help and troubleshooting,

i owe Mr Brophy a pint :)

John2009 wrote: »
    Thank you Eamonn Brophy :D,

i'm so slow, never fitted the stand offs to the case before fitting the motherboard :o, instant boot up once i re-fitted the motherboard with stand offs in place, i was wondering yesterday why i had so many screws and strange looking ones left over :p

just loading up Windows 7 there so will give an update once i'm up and running in a while.

Thanks to all that replied with suggestions of help and troubleshooting,

i owe Mr Brophy a pint :)

I did the exact same thing with my first build man, it was probably shorting out. You're not slow man, TONS of people make that mistake, it really isn't evident or obvious to do till you make that mistake IMO!

Glad it's working for you!

I did the exact same thing with my first build man, it was probably shorting out. You're not slow man, TONS of people make that mistake, it really isn't evident or obvious to do till you make that mistake IMO!

Glad it's working for you!

I honestly didn't think it was possible to do this. Surely your motherboard wouldn't line up with the I/O plate correctly meaning it'd miss the screw threads?

Serephucus wrote: »
    I honestly didn't think it was possible to do this. Surely your motherboard wouldn't line up with the I/O plate correctly meaning it'd miss the screw threads?

Much like the Op probably, I didn't put in the I/O plate.

Advertisement