Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading songs onto computer - help?

Options
  • 02-12-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a little ancient when it comes to using digital music, still listen to CDs.

The reason being, is that I've bought music online before, and it cost me 1 euro for the song, and I downloaded it on to my PC . But when I upgraded my computer, I lost the licence. I couldnt even load it on to an external HD without losing the licence.

So, I don't want to buy songs online if I can only listen to them on one PC.

Can I buy music that I can listen to on PC, Laptop, IPod and store on phone with just one download cost? Or do I have to buy the song 4 x ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Bus77II

I've never bought a song but I'm under the impression that that kind of copy protection has been done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Which site did you use before? 7 Digital (http://ie.7digital.com/) sell mostly drm-free tracks (they say that some tracks have copy protection but I've never encountered it myself) at a decent quality 320kbps. Best bet to be sure is to download one song from there & then try transferring it to your other devices. You should be fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Even iTunes has pretty much gotten rid of DRM (films still have it I believe). I've backed up songs I got on iTunes to several other devices and they always work fine even in other media players like Winamp, VLC or Foobar. I refuse to use iTunes itself to listen to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Adyx wrote: »
    Even iTunes has pretty much gotten rid of DRM (films still have it I believe).

Audiobooks as well.

Just thought I'd mention it: I hate not being able to listen to an audiobook - which I bought through iTunes - on my Windows phone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Audiobooks as well.

Just thought I'd mention it: I hate not being able to listen to an audiobook - which I bought through iTunes - on my Windows phone. :)

If you search around the net (eg: CNET page) there's a fair few programmes that can strip out drm protection from those files, allowing for conversion to mp3/wma files that you can copy to other devices at your leisure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

208reject1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

Custardpi wrote: »
    If you search around the net (eg: CNET page) there's a fair few programmes that can strip out drm protection from those files, allowing for conversion to mp3/wma files that you can copy to other devices at your leisure.

OK, I'm interested in this - if it means it can somehow make songs previously downloaded listenable again. What is the programme called?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Stick to vinyl like me mate and that sort of sh1t never happens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

Stick to vinyl like me mate and that sort of sh1t never happens. :)

Record players are always handy when your out and about!!!
    Fit snugly into the pocket as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Custardpi wrote: »

Is that sort of thing legal? I know most DRM stuff is done away with by now, but is stripping away stuff that was previously implemented alright with The Man?

• Advertisement
Advertisement