Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Recommendations

Options
  • 02-12-2011 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Just doing some Christmas shopping and I thought this would be the best place to ask for some help. My brother is a big fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series(same as myself) and I am looking at getting him a couple of fantasy novels for Christmas.

Something that would match the general tone of those books would be great where they are not silly like the Discworld books but they are also not going to bore a casual reader of the genre.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Discworld is silly !?!?!?!?!

Try robin hobb's Farseer books. Excellent read, and arrived at a time when fantasy fiction really was in danger of disappearing up its own....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Stephen King's Dark Tower series. The first one is fairly short with not much happening but once you've made it to the third book there's no turning back.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

The Magician by Raymond E Feist is my personal favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

"The Malazan Book of the Fallen" series by Steven Erikson is made of win.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

crybaby wrote: »
    Just doing some Christmas shopping and I thought this would be the best place to ask for some help. My brother is a big fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series(same as myself) and I am looking at getting him a couple of fantasy novels for Christmas.
    Joe Abercrombie's "The Blade Itself". It's not epic in the same sense but it adopts the same bleak, cynical tone and attitude to war. George R.R. Martin is a fan of Abercrombie (and vice versa) and they're often mentioned in discussions about the new grittier side to fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Definitely The Blade Itself. It's just what you're looking for. It's the start of the First Law Trilogy. They get progressively better and really I can't fault them. I'm a big Joe Abercrombie fan.
    Malazan is crazy with magic and stuff. Difficult for someone to get into and just very fantastical, so probably not a great recommendation given the criteria. Good books if you're into them though.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

"The Malazan Book of the Fallen" series by Steven Erikson is made of win.

I'll be starting that series in the New Year. I'm really looking forward to it.

I have to finish off The Belgariad first by David Eddings. It's middle of the road series but very enjoyable...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

There is the work of the newish author Brandon Sanderson

- Mistborn series - a new spin on the use of magic and its limitations.
    - "The Way of Kings" - interesting mix of politics and military (think WWI in a fantasy mileau) . Part one of a series.

Other posters are spot on- especially Magician, Belgariad & The Blade itself.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Manach wrote: »
    There is the work of the newish author Brandon Sanderson

- Mistborn series - a new spin on the use of magic and its limitations.
    - "The Way of Kings" - interesting mix of politics and military (think WWI in a fantasy mileau) . Part one of a series.

Other posters are spot on- especially Magician, Belgariad & The Blade itself.

Sanderson has taken on the mammoth task of finishing off The Wheel of Time series and he's doing a fine job of it so far after the untimely death of Robert Jordan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

I would suggest the Mordants Need series by Stephen Donaldson which is an excellent 2 book series.

Advertisement