Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some survival thoughts...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You wouldnt see anything about a new Irish currency apart from outright denials and whatnot from Govt until Enda is addressing us again on the telly telling us it is really gone to fuk this time!:eek:.

Guy must have been listening in on my conversations then in Germany three weeks ago.:eek:

Its probably being minted already

My apartment has a water meter. It was built in 2007 when FF were only warming us up for water meters. They attempted to install one back home as well around that time and when we confronted them they were 'Oh sorry this is meant for the farmer next to you. This pipe goes to your house? Sorry about this'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    At the risk of incurring Wrath, I can understand why the restriction exists here as opposed to the zombie survival board. People with our peculiar interests are a living nightmare for civil authorities should a screw come loose, well supported by very recent cases here and in the UK, they're better off calling in the military, as normal resources aren't capable of dealing with it unless they get lucky. So I mean you can see where boards is coming from.

Back on topic, great thread and some good points in the OP.

OH PLUEEEZZZZZEEEE!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::(
    Which well supported cases in the UK are you on about???Please provide some proof of this ludicrious statement!!!
    I've been involved on the fringes of the Uk survival movement from the mid 80s and let me assure you it was more paramilitary back then and the UK authorthies never batted an eye lid about it.Thats when a full blown IRA bombing campaign and terrorist war was going on.

Calling the military...Honestly!!Yeah,I'm sure we all have fully stocked up ,tooled up survivalist compounds with full auto and heavy weaponary and people to man it like Waco dont we??:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

NO! I cant see where Boards.ie is coming from,as this whole logic is skewed totally out of reality!!
    This oh its all right to talk about stuff on the Zombie forum is fine,as it is only make belive is a typical "Irish stick your head in the sand so your arse can be kicked hard"attitude.Do you think anyone cant figure out the same stuff wether we are talking zombies,or the invasion of world crud??

So point is..If we are talking home defence against scobes thats a no no as it might happen on sur & prep.Yet if we replace scobes with zombies and discuss it on zombie survival its fine as it will never happen because zombies dont exist???
    I'd love to see the judges and state prosecutions faces if somone offered up THAT defence in court!!!

Its a total delussional belif by boards.ie legal teams.That if you are talking about killing zombies that is fine,as it is fiction but mention guns on the survivalism form that is a no no!! Honestly if I got that advice from my legal team,Id have fired them years ago!!They need to go and look up the legal meaning of the words Conspircy and collective responsibility.

Simple thing is folks and MODS you might want to take note of this.
    IF you dont want to be prosecuted for somthing going wrong then the Zombie survival,survivalism and preps,airsoft and shooting boards are going to have to adhere to some same rules of no discussion of home defence or improvised weaponary and what not.Sauce for the goose and all that.
    M aybe this should be in the tinfoil hat thread,but I think this is ludicrous that one side can discuss stuff with impunity as it is fantasy and the other side cant or darent mention it as it might be seen as reality???
    What colour sky is on the planet some people inhabit here???

Now can we get back to some sort of reality..Withot worrying about some civil servent jobsworthy getting all flusterd and sending around the Irish army /ERU and ARW to lay seige to us ???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Grizzly45 - If you don't like the rules, don't play the game. There is no free speech on boards.ie. We are all here at their discretion. Please feel free to take yourself elsewhere and start your own forum if this one is not to your liking. This is not up for discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Look what I happened to come up with this morning :eek:

Central Bank says it is not printing punts

The Central Bank of Ireland has said it is not printing Irish punts and is only printing euro.

It is understood that the Central Bank is not in talks with any private printing companies regarding evaluating the need for additional capacity to produce new currency.

In recent weeks, British Chancellor George Osborne said his government had contingency planning in place in the event of the break-up of the euro.

It is understood that authorities in Ireland have given thought to plans in the event there is any significant change to the single European currency.

However, the official position is that remaining within the euro is the only option being actively considered by policy makers and the Department of Finance has not confirmed nor denied that there are any contingency plans in place.

Today's Wall Street Journal reported that the Central Bank is evaluating whether it needs to secure additional access to printing presses in case it has to print new bank notes to support a "reborn" currency.

The US newspaper quotes "people familiar with the matter" and says other central banks have started to weigh contingency plans to prepare for the possibility that countries leave the eurozone or the eurozone breaks up entirely.

The bank said it would not comment on what it called "speculation".

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Seven Investment Management analyst Justin Urquhart Stewart said talk of Ireland printing punts was coming from a number of sources.

He said because the banking crisis in Ireland had already been managed, Ireland could be better off and more cost effective outside the euro.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1208/euro.html

Ive had a quick look and cant seem to find the wall street journal article that sparked the whole thing.... maybe somebody else might have better luck.

Gonzor wrote: »
    Look what I happened to come up with this morning :eek:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1208/euro.html

Ive had a quick look and cant seem to find the wall street journal article that sparked the whole thing.... maybe somebody else might have better luck.

All this 'talk' about bringing the Punt back is just part of the warming up process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Gonzor wrote: »
    You need to use a faster source of news :D

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/we-are-not-printing-punts-central-bank-responds-to-wsj-printing-press-report-299710-Dec2011/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203413304577084483874422516.html?nr_email_referer=1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm sure there's a thread in the CT forum where someone's uncles brothers wife had told them this months ago. This story has been doing the rounds for quite a while.

No smoke without fire an all that!
    Any Govt that wasnt considering this would have to be pretty cool or very dumb in the current state of play.
    Of course the central bank and Govt sources will deny this totally.Who wants a panic an the sheeple dumping their Euros??After all,WE are te ones paying for ths momentus cock up of our betters.:rolleyes:.

They will deny it until the last minute here.Look at Nov last year when we had Cowen and Co lying up that we didnt need a bail out!!
    Simply put,anything you hear on the news or comes out of an Irish politicans mouth belive,do and vote 100% the opposite.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

I understand the Roman Empire took years to collapse.

just picking up on something said much earlier.

Romae did take a long time to collapse in toto, in but not locally. For example Rome emptied of population (1 million down to 80,000) very quickly, because they lost their very carefully crafted water supply and the place returned to the marsh it once was. Didn't really pick up again for nearly 1500 years, thats a lot of tins of beans.

Mostly urban populations bug out to rural locations by necessity.

Also a disaster could be very local indeed, ie personal... being prepped is making sure you are ready if your job/mortgage/etc goes belly up in some way. It's no consolation to know you are the only person starving in a rich country.:cool:

This week SVP were collecting to help people, and a lot of the story is that they are now trying to help a class of people who have never needed their help before.

What I like about prepping is thinking of ways in which outside input (of wages say, or water, energy etc) could be drastically reduced and I could still keep going.

Help yourself first, I say. (Though charity is very good too)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Going back somewhat to the original posters point. I came across this, this morning.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-truth-about-violence/

Personally I found it interesting reading.

Principle #1: Avoid dangerous people and dangerous places.
    Principle #2: Do not defend your property.
    Principle #3: Respond immediately and escape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

He's talking about urban street violence there, where the John Q Laws are only a phone call away, rather than survival in the event of a major disaster, so to that extent I might agree with him. Depends entirely on the situation though, some of that stuff might work with some people, other not so much. You'd need to really be there and assess it to make any decisions.

Going back somewhat to the original posters point. I came across this, this morning.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-truth-about-violence/

Personally I found it interesting reading.

Some very interesting stuff there thanks for posting. Agree with Doc Ruby, though, I think of prepping as also including situations where there is nowhere to escape to , or no rescuers to call upon. That changes things.

I think the argentinian guys blog on living in post collapse Arg. is interesting on this point. (posted on the interesting things sticky). He describes being in the situation of going to his car, and seeing someone there who he knows is loitering with intent as they say. Now he is armed, but he points out that he can't just attck this guy without getting into legal trouble, and yet this is not an occasional problem but a daily one. So he talks about how confidence and a certain attitude and a discrete show of the weapon he carries signals 'i'm not worth the trouble'. he is stuck between the two, there is a lot of social breakdown and unrest, but still not a survivalist free for all sort of scenario. I found it interesting to see how strange and violent and frightening situations can become 'normal' in a horrible way.

bonniebede wrote: »
    I found it interesting to see how strange and violent and frightening situations can become 'normal' in a horrible way.
    I know a couple of Joberg expats as well, and they have some stories to tell! Not for nothing was the flamethrower car alarm invented there.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I know a couple of Joberg expats as well, and they have some stories to tell! Not for nothing was the flamethrower car alarm invented there.

Now that's something i don't want from santa!

On the other hand, as a bug out vehicle with inbuilt campfire starting capabilities....hmmmm....:rolleyes:

A little intresting bit of info from a very reliable inside source in the banking world of Ireland. ,
    A large Irish bank that we the citzenry now own, has been re issued with stocks of the old Punt...[Intresting in the fact that they were supposedly all destroyed in 2000:eek:].
    He oversaw deliveries of them to just about every branch in his beat of the West...WTF??:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    So as usual are we are being told half truths.NO they arent printing anything new,as they cant yet due to lack of presses and paper and printing plates...
    As well as it would proably scare Merkozy and the EU to death as well!!!:eek:
    But they can re issue the old Punt again...If need be...

Getting closer by the day friends!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A little intresting bit of info from a very reliable inside source in the banking world of Ireland. ,
    A large Irish bank that we the citzenry now own, has been re issued with stocks of the old Punt...[Intresting in the fact that they were supposedly all destroyed in 2000:eek:].
    He oversaw deliveries of them to just about every branch in his beat of the West...WTF??:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    So as usual are we are being told half truths.NO they arent printing anything new,as they cant yet due to lack of presses and paper and printing plates...
    As well as it would proably scare Merkozy and the EU to death as well!!!:eek:
    But they can re issue the old Punt again...If need be...

I don't doubt you G45, but what is the source of this info?

Lets just put it like this ,a "deep throat"whom I've known for years and trust in the banking admin side of things.;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Say no more, my friend.
    ........but do keep us posted :cool:

Doesn't matter, in the unlikely event that the euro fails, they'll be back within the year with a bigger and better alternative, euro II, the revenge of euro. There's way too much wealth and power in a single currency and economic body larger and richer than the United States of America not to. And in fairness it does make sense. Its the non economic tentacles that bother me somewhat, as well as the posturing from Sarkozy.

I miss the old Punt. Would love to see it back and despite the initial expected drop in value it should make this country competitive again

The euro kind of encourages certain countries to take a back seat, live off borrowed money for a while and not actually produce or do anything useful while codding themselves into thinking they're doing great.

• Advertisement

Trouble is;the difference between the UNITED States of America and Europe..Europe is the missing United bit.:D
    This whole EU project is and was doomed from the beginning.It would be better to strip it back to EEC time.Rather than trying to take on a Federal superstate of Europe.Back to a trading and commercial entity only..There is too much historical,cultural and social and traditional differences.As well as animosities ,feuds and ill feeling amongst Europeans to ever make this work properly on a social scale.

I more or less agree with you Grizz, I'd be far happier with a trading combine than a European superstate, they've (and it is they) shown too often they can't be trusted not to move for hegemony. I'm just making the point that the collapse of the euro will be more of an irritation than a serious problem, if it happens.

Advertisement