Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby crying when farts. Distressing

Options
  • 02-12-2011 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

hi, i am looking for some help and advice. i have a new baby who is nearly 5 weeks old, for the last few weeks she cries when she is about to fart and tenses up when she is about too, is there anything that i could do to help ease the pain of her farting, does anyone else have or had this problem with their baby. Will she grow out of it and why does it hurt her so much. would love some help. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

From my vast experience (5 week old too!) and talking to people about it, it's completely normal. Some babies push hard to get rid of wind or to push out a poo. Ours tenses up when he has wind.
    And wind can be painful, so hence the crying. Not sure why wind hurts babies so much, but it seems to hurt all babies.
    As for easing the pain, not sure how to. Have you burped her properly so the wind comes out the top end before it gets a chance to go down to the bottom end? I find with a bottle we have to burp more often than breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Well it just sounds like she is windy to be honest, you might need to spend more time ensuring all her wind is up during and after feeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

we do try our best to wind her and we do it for ages but there is still some wind still in her all the time and we try every position to get rid of it and she does burp when we wind her but theres always ones we cant seem to get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Myself and my partner always used to joke that our daughter was airlocked :p

It is fairly common though, as mentioned above try to make sure she has all her wind up. I don't know what you are doing currently but try winding baby every couple of minutes during feeding rather than just at the end when the wind can sometimes already be built up and trapped. Try laying her on her tummy across your lap and rubbing her back.

When you see that she is tensing up and you think she needs to fart try massaging her tummy Clockwise with the flat palm of your hand. This helps to circulate things in the intestines so to speak and should help getting the wind out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Noopti wrote: »
    Well it just sounds like she is windy to be honest, you might need to spend more time ensuring all her wind is up during and after feeding.

This ^

Spend that little bit longer winding her, there will probably be another little pocket of wind in there somewhere. Make sure the bottles are warm enough too.

When an adult gets a creaky pain we're all familiar of, we know something is in the post.. with a baby, they don't know what's going on and just feel the pain of it. You just need a bit more patience and determination, and then it will either slip out of the gob or she'll blow the hand off ya :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

infacol really really helped me and my little fella no matter what i did he still had wind that had to come out the bottom end and OMG the crying was so hard to listen too

best of luck with it i really understand what your going through

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Farts used to wake up my little one, we spent more time winding her than feeding her but to no avail. If its any good to you by 12 weeks her tum was fine and really settles down. The collic drops helped but it was gripe water that really sorted her out totally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

Can you get ripe water in ireland anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Our two fellas suffered from it...infacol worked on the second (he's 6 weeks) but not on the first lad, so it's hit and miss it seems. But it's worth a try if it doesn't work you could just stop using it. You could also try the comfort feed (if you're bottle feeding?) if the infacol doesn't work.

The other thing is, she'll grow out of it. I know it's distressing to hear her, but give her another couple of weeks and I bet she'll be over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Avril123 wrote: »
    Can you get ripe water in ireland anymore?

Yes the odd shop has it, it has nothing really in it just water and dill juice! But it works, try posting in your local forum. The main supermarkets dont have it here, but a small independent one has it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Bear in mind there may be no "fixing" this problem. Our little fella suffered from a similar thing for many weeks (he was a bit older than yours too). My wife laid him across her knees rubbed his back, which seemed to help but was still only partially effective.

It may be something your baby has to outgrow. Time and development take care of all these little problems in the end, don't beat yourself up over it if you don't find a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

our little girl 6 mths now used to have this alot, nothing we could do past for a while till we moved up her feed and started to happen again easiest thing for us was to rub her lower back just above her bottom warmth help ease the pain for her and a nice hot bath did the trick when she was really windy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

If none of the above advice works and she's really in pain check her mouth/bum for thrush. Apparently it can get through their whole digestive system and cause terrible gas. You can treat the thrush - gel for the mouth, cream for the bum, wash all clothes at 60+, boil soothers etc a full ten mins... If you're breastfeeding you'll need to treat yourself too, even if you don't have symptoms.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We found baby massage a godsend. Cycling the little legs etc. There are videos on youtube.

Their muscletone is so poor as newborns that they can't move it along too easily.

It doesn't matter how long you burp them when they're tiny, there will always be a little bit of wind left to go down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

One trick you can do that worked well for us when our son had the same problems is to lie them on the bed and raise their legs up and down like they are cycling a bike. Don't use much pressure of force, baby will allow this movement naturally. We found it helped baby to get rid of the trapped wind and therefore relieved the pressure and discomfort they were feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Are you breast or bottle feeding.Reason i ask is if bottle feeding it could be the flow of the teat to,Slow flow teat can cause more wind from sucking to hard.I have 4 kid's and used medium flow always.Also as im sure you no always try have baby sitting as upright as possible when feeding.

Advertisement