Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fire in railway square

• 02-12-2011 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hey all just heard the apatment building at railway square is on fire? Im only down the road from it but cant really check right now. Any info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I don't think it's a fire, I just passed and two firemen were being being hoisted up on the cherry picker type thing. No sign of them prepping to fight a fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

No there was a fire was down there before that I only saw small bit of smoke , but apparently flames were seen before that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

Any pictures lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Any pictures lads...

Are you from the Munster Express? Will we write the article for ya as well? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Panic over twas my wifes credit card in TK Maxx.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

yeah it was a fire..i was in the building and we could smell smoke for about a half an hour before and thought it was toast burning that was on..thought nothing of it

looked out the window then and there were fire trucks and a fireman screaming up "get out of the building" so i ran down the stairs and was met by firemen coming up shouting asking if we were all out

it's only when i got outside i saw the apartement ablaze, and i mean ablaze, it was the top floor apartment..the woman living there looked distraught and they had the building manager on hand she was sorting out gettingher keys to antoehr apartment

this all happened at about 12.10 (well when i eventually got out) and the place wasn't deemed safe to go back into until 3pm or so

luckily no one was hurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Fire was prob out by the time I passed it. Would explain the lack of urgency around. glad noone was hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

ziedth wrote: »
    Fire was prob out by the time I passed it. Would explain the lack of urgency around. glad noone was hurt.

I live across the road and When I was driving past there was lots of burnt stuff being taken out of the complex all charred. There was also an ambulances around the place but I dont think anyone was hurt, hopefully not anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I was stopped in traffic by dignity at about 2ish and there was a fire engine up behind dignity, and then one flew up the road with sirens on too, all sorted so yea ? Wonder what happened..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yeah I walked down when I could at about half 3. Fire brigade had left by then. Top floor looked burnt but was hard to see. All the floors below it had their windows open so I assume there is a strong smell of smoke about.
    On the grass below there was a bunch of burnt out furniture and stuff that I assume was removed from the building.

Took this pic from the Waterford Fire Brigade facebook, who I must say always do an excellent job. Glad nobody was hurt. :D

xZeqX.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Birdfood

There were a load of fire trucks outside Hasbro this evening but couldn't see any sign of fire, we wondered were they on standby because of a small internal fire or something??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

interesting that a FIRE ALARM never went off in the building according to one of the above posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Oliver Stone ring him now!!!!!!!!!!!

Icky Thump wrote: »
    interesting that a FIRE ALARM never went off in the building according to one of the above posters

yeah i meant to say that..there was no fire alarm, the first we knew was of a fire was when we saw the fire men shouting up at us through the window..if i hadn't looked out we'd have been sitting there until the fire men walked in the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

snuggles09 wrote: »
    yeah i meant to say that..there was no fire alarm, the first we knew was of a fire was when we saw the fire men shouting up at us through the window..if i hadn't looked out we'd have been sitting there until the fire men walked in the door

Funnily enough i saw the fire engines, all action, up in cathedral square Thursday with little or no sign of a fire around. Yeah Wellboy, maybe Oliver Stone might know something about it, at least inform Jim Corr and ask for his observations on this phenomenon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Birdfood wrote: »
    There were a load of fire trucks outside Hasbro this evening but couldn't see any sign of fire, we wondered were they on standby because of a small internal fire or something??

Fire in a computer room inside..

H

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

I live directly below the one that went on fire. I know it's a few days ago now and old news, but I'm just settling in in the new apartment and haven't had time to check these forums since the fire.

Anyway, I can confirm that the fire alarm DID go off. although I really can see how someone would think it did not as removing the main fire alarm is almost a necessity if you want to get a nights sleep on a Wednesday night due to how many times the alarm is set off by "visitors" (I doubt anyone actually living here would set it off after having to listen to it enough already)

Anyway, what happened was that there was a maintenance guy repairing some felt on the roof of the affected apartment. He was using a pretty big blow torch, had put out the flame and placed it on a metal sheet while he went in to get something. When he came out, he found the heat from the extinguished touch lit some leaves behind the wall and he couldn't put it out as the fire was between layers of the exterior roof wall.

Fire brigade were called, arrived within minutes and got to work. Thankfully no one was injured and it was kept under control quickly.

I first moved into that block over 4 years ago and that has been the first actual fire I know about.

My own apartment was flooded and I'm in a different part of the building now. I'm very grateful to everyone involved in making sure it was as little hassle as possible.

Hopefully this is the first and last time something like this happens. But I know I'll be taking the fire alarm a little more seriously in future (apart from WIT xmas of course)

we had the manager of the offices into us today asking why we didn't respond yesterday when they did the fire drill:confused: he said the alarm went off but again we heard nothing so they are looking into it

so glad no one was hurt in this and that it's being sorted out now for all involved:)

Advertisement