Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€148 Connection and early termination charge from eircom

Options
  • 02-12-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Here is my story,

I move to a new house and decided to get vadafone broadband, i called vadofone and they said since its a new house ill have to get eircom to install a phone line and then get back to them,

I called Eircom and asked to have a phone line installed so i could get Vodaphone broadband,

She said that if i had the line installed, i would have a 12 month land line contract with eircom and i had a 10 day cooling off period. She also offered my eircom boradband to which i said i dont want to commit as i am still concidering my options i.e. i wanted vodafone broadband.

I said ok, ill have the landline contract with eircom and decide on my broadband provided over the next few days.

Twice during the call i asked if there was a charge for the installation of the line, and twice she said there would be "No charge",

Meanwhile she gives me a phone number and i decide to go with vodafone for broadband. Happy days waiting for my vodafone broadband to arrive.

Then i get a Final bill from Eirom saying that i owe them a total of 148 euro for 1 days line rental, a connection fee and charge of 20 euro in lieu of 30 days notice to cease service ? WHAT this couldnt be right the lady on the phone said twice that there would be no connection charge,

So i complain to eircom and they say i indeed owe them the money cause i agreed to their contract even thou i did so under false pretenses ?

Is this legal for them to do lie to me and charge me for a contract that i agreed to under false pretenses ?

I have a recording of the call where the lady says TWICE to me that there is no charge for connection, she did not specify any caveats, just bot time said "No" when i asked if there was a charge for connection.

What are my options here i feel as thou i'm being duped,

Steve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Here is my story,

I move to a new house and decided to get vadafone broadband, i called vadofone and they said since its a new house ill have to get eircom to install a phone line and then get back to them,

I called Eircom and asked to have a phone line installed so i could get Vodaphone broadband,

She said that if i had the line installed, i would have a 12 month land line contract with eircom and i had a 10 day cooling off period. She also offered my eircom boradband to which i said i dont want to commit as i am still concidering my options i.e. i wanted vodafone broadband.

I said ok, ill have the landline contract with eircom and decide on my broadband provided over the next few days.

Twice during the call i asked if there was a charge for the installation of the line, and twice she said there would be "No charge",

Meanwhile she gives me a phone number and i decide to go with vodafone for broadband. Happy days waiting for my vodafone broadband to arrive.

Then i get a Final bill from Eirom saying that i owe them a total of 148 euro for 1 days line rental, a connection fee and charge of 20 euro in lieu of 30 days notice to cease service ? WHAT this couldnt be right the lady on the phone said twice that there would be no connection charge,

So i complain to eircom and they say i indeed owe them the money cause i agreed to their contract even thou i did so under false pretenses ?

Is this legal for them to do lie to me and charge me for a contract that i agreed to under false pretenses ?

I have a recording of the call where the lady says TWICE to me that there is no charge for connection, she did not specify any caveats, just bot time said "No" when i asked if there was a charge for connection.

What are my options here i feel as thou i'm being duped,

Steve

Hi Steve,

If you PM me with the account number and telephone number you received from eircom and I will look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

Message sent,
    Thank you

Message sent,
    Thank you

Hi stephenlane80,

I DM you back.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

Hi Mark,

Thanks for you effort into looking into this, unfortunately no budge from eircom land :(

Time to contact comreg, i wonder if all the time i have spent explain my situation over and over even amounts to the cost i am disputing,

Anyway its the principal of the thing, Onwards !!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for you effort into looking into this, unfortunately no budge from eircom land :(

Time to contact comreg, i wonder if all the time i have spent explain my situation over and over even amounts to the cost i am disputing,

Anyway its the principal of the thing, Onwards !!

Hi stephenlane80,

I am sorry I was unable to resolve the issue as you hoped.

Regards, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

Hi,

I'm not quite in the same situation but I could be. I'm with Vodafone, moved to a new house last October, new house didn't have a line installed unfortunately.

Our agency tells us that there's some kind of blockage preventing Eircom from starting the job. The agency contacts the builders, they want to charge 300€ for it!
    I'm thinking Vodafone is gonna charge us the connection fee on top of that.

what I don't get from the previous post, is why do you need to subscribe to a contract for the landline when you have no other choice than going through Eircom to have it activated.

It's been nearly 3 months since I last had a landline and internet, it's getting seriously frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

dhaumi wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not quite in the same situation but I could be. I'm with Vodafone, moved to a new house last October, new house didn't have a line installed unfortunately.

Our agency tells us that there's some kind of blockage preventing Eircom from starting the job. The agency contacts the builders, they want to charge 300€ for it!

what I don't get from the previous post, is why do you need to subscribe to a contract for the landline when you have no other choice than going through Eircom to have it activated.

It's been nearly 3 months since I last had a landline and internet, it's getting seriously frustrating!

You don't, any operator should be able to do it. Homevision organised a line install and supplied broadband for my sister, she didn't have to go near Eircom.

You don't, any operator should be able to do it. Homevision organised a line install and supplied broadband for my sister, she didn't have to go near Eircom.

So you mean she was not charged for the connection fee through Homevision?

I'm renting so installing a new line on a house that doesn't belong to me feels strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

There was a line in the house previously so Homevision charged her 25 euro to get it reactivated. They said it would cost 125 euro to get a line installed if there hadn't been one there previously.
    She ordered on a Monday and had the line active and broadband supplied on the Wednesday.

There was a line in the house previously so Homevision charged her 25 euro to get it reactivated. They said it would cost 125 euro to get a line installed if there hadn't been one there previously.
    She ordered on a Monday and had the line active and broadband supplied on the Wednesday.

Yeah I would have thought so. I wish a good alternative...
    Thanks for that piece of information!

• Advertisement

Hi,

Hi dhaumi

If you PM me with the order no or address I can look into the status of the order for you.

Thanks, Mark

PM sent! Thanks Mark.

PM sent! Thanks Mark.

Hi,

PM you back sorry I could not help.

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

PM you back sorry I could not help.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

I finally got a landline last week. I know this is too early to harass Eircom about the broadband, but I'm getting no information from Vodafone regarding the order they placed with Eircom and it's not like I haven't been patient so far.
    Would it be possible to check (the status) when a field engineer is scheduled to activate the broadband on our line?

Thank you for your help.

d

Hi Mark,

I finally got a landline last week. I know this is too early to harass Eircom about the broadband, but I'm getting no information from Vodafone regarding the order they placed with Eircom and it's not like I haven't been patient so far.
    Would it be possible to check (the status) when a field engineer is scheduled to activate the broadband on our line?

Thank you for your help.

d

Hi dhaumi,

I sent you a PM regarding your query,

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement