Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No gateway ping

Options
  • 02-12-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to connect a s/sung bluray player (BD-4600) to my b/band modem (netopia 2247). I appear to establish a connection as when I select network test it passes on mac address, dns settings etc. then fails to get a 'gateway ping'. I am trying to connect via powerline plugs which appear to have been paired successfully. Not sure if I need to adjust some modem settings, any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Is it possible to set your router to not respond to pings and has it been set that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Away from home at moment, will try this when i get home, thanks

FSL wrote: »
    Is it possible to set your router to not respond to pings and has it been set that way?

I can't find any reference to ping in modems settings, Anyone any ideas or advice

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Usually if you can disable pinging it's on the routers WAN interface, i.e. from the Internet, so probably not applicable here anyway. There wouldn't be a whole lot of point in disabling pinging the local gateway address from within the LAN that I can think of.

Anyway, how is the player getting it's IP address, DNS, gateway etc., via DHCP from your router, or did you configure them manually? If manually what values did you enter, if DHCP can you see on the player what values it got from the router?

Alun wrote: »
    Usually if you can disable pinging it's on the routers WAN interface, i.e. from the Internet, so probably not applicable here anyway. There wouldn't be a whole lot of point in disabling pinging the local gateway address from within the LAN that I can think of.

Anyway, how is the player getting it's IP address, DNS, gateway etc., via DHCP from your router, or did you configure them manually? If manually what values did you enter, if DHCP can you see on the player what values it got from the router?

You can adjust settings to having dhcp on auto or enter ip etc. manually. On auto it does not even find an ip address or dns server details, on manual it recognises them but then fails gateway ping test

• Advertisement

OK, so what values did you enter for IP address, network mask, default gateway etc? I can only assume one or more of them is wrong, either that or there's something else up with your powerline adapters setup seeing as DHCP doesn't work. Can you attach something else, a laptop say, to the powerline adapters to test that setup first to make sure that isn't the problem?

OK, so what values did you enter for IP address, network mask, default gateway etc? I can only assume one or more of them is wrong, either that or there's something else up with your powerline adapters setup seeing as DHCP doesn't work. Can you attach something else, a laptop say, to the powerline adapters to test that setup first to make sure that isn't the problem?

I logged into router (192.168.1.254) & copied values from there, went over this numerous times. Have nothing else to attach at moment.
    I have ordered the samsung w/less adapter & hopefully this will work although after online search a lot of people had problems with this also. I have already done a firmware update as this seems to be samsung's solution but still no joy.
    Regards

It really would help if you simply posted what values you entered onto the Samsung for anyone here, including myself, to be able to offer any reason why it might not be working. Just saying you copied them from the router doesn't really help.

For a start, if you're going to use a static address you'll have to select one that is outside of the range covered by your router's DHCP server. This may involve changing the DHCP address range on the router if it is set up to offer everything from 1 to 253 as it may well be. For instance change the range to stop at 200, and assign 192.168.1.201 to the Samsung.

The network mask is 255.255.255.0.

The default gateway will be that of your router, i.e. 192.168.1.254.

DNS could be the ones that your router got from your ISP, in Eircom's case 159.134.0.1 and 159.134.0.2, or more simply, just enter the router's address 192.168.1.254 and it'll act as a proxy for DNS requests.

It really would help if you simply posted what values you entered onto the Samsung for anyone here, including myself, to be able to offer any reason why it might not be working. Just saying you copied them from the router doesn't really help.

For a start, if you're going to use a static address you'll have to select one that is outside of the range covered by your router's DHCP server. This may involve changing the DHCP address range on the router if it is set up to offer everything from 1 to 253 as it may well be. For instance change the range to stop at 200, and assign 192.168.1.201 to the Samsung.

The network mask is 255.255.255.0.

The default gateway will be that of your router, i.e. 192.168.1.254.

DNS could be the ones that your router got from your ISP, in Eircom's case 159.134.0.1 and 159.134.0.2, or more simply, just enter the router's address 192.168.1.254 and it'll act as a proxy for DNS requests.

ip address: 192.168.1.254
    ip g/way: 89.19.64.130
    dns: 89.19.64.164
    2nd dns: 89.19.64.36

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

As Alun's getting at, those IP details you programmed are wrong. They should be something like:

IP Address: 192.168.1.100 (can be anything between 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253, provided it doesn't conflict with the IP address for any other devices on your network - this is a standard class C private network IP address range)

DNS Address: 192.168.1.254 (As Alun says, use the netopia as the proxy dns server)

Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (this, the Netopia, is the gateway for your class B private network devices out to the internet)

You can try the above, however you should be able to just leave the bluray player on auto, and get the details automatically. You either have a wiring problem, or DHCP is turned off in your netopia - have a look on http://192.168.1.254 on Network / LAN settings (might be under Expert settings)

• Advertisement

Ok, will try those.
    Thanks

bodonnell wrote: »
    ip address: 192.168.1.254
    ip g/way: 89.19.64.130
    dns: 89.19.64.164
    2nd dns: 89.19.64.36
    Yes, completely wrong!! 192.168.1.254 is the Netopia's IP address, so you have an IP address conflict there straight away. 89.19.64.130 is the WAN IP address (I can see that it's a vodafone address by the way.) I was s bit suspicious when you said you'd logged on to the router to get the address details, but now I see where you got them from :)

Advertisement