Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help me choose headphones - completely clueless.

• 02-12-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

Hi all

The OH has been hinting that he's like a pair of Beats by Dr Dre headphones for Christmas but from reading some of the comments here, they don't seem all that great. If he wants to buy a seemingly inferior product because of a good marketing campaign, he can buy them himself!

Sennheiser seem to have a good name so I'd like to get him a pair of those. He mainly listens to rock, indie & a bit of electronic so I would be grateful if anyone could recommened a good pair of Sennheiser headphones for listening to that type of music.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Will he mostly be listening in a loud or quiet environment?

Open headphones for a quiet situation.

Closed headphones for a loud environment.

I have Audio Technica ATH AD700's. Although they are really good when the house is quiet I wouldn't recommend them otherwise.

I'm looking at closed headphones and Audio Technica ATH M50's are certainly something I'm considering along with the Sennheisers mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Morf wrote: »
    Will he mostly be listening in a loud or quiet environment?

Open headphones for a quiet situation.

Closed headphones for a loud environment.

Thanks for your post. He'd be mainly be listening to music from the laptop inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

A new-ish model on the market is the V-moda Crossfade M-80. It's styling is along the lines of beats but it's meant to be very well built and most importantly the sound is very good.

I think you can order from here:
    http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-80/

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-and-v-80-true-blood-headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hawesome145

theres new Marshall headphones out now, look really nice. Minor are in ear and Major are over ear. Good reviews for the sound on youtube plus if he has a smart phone they both have in line remotes and mics. €59 for the minors and €129 for the major in Harvey Norman. If he is into rock and indie these might be up his street, really nice design.

Update: Sorry Debdynamite, just got a reply on another thread on these a guy bought a pair and wasnt impressed in case you were considering.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The marshall headphones are not made by marshall, they're made by Zound with marshall branding. Zound don't seem to have the best reputation, though this have somegood and average reviews.

If you were willing to spend the money on beats before, do as the other poster said and go for Sennheiser hd-25-ii. I'm saving up for some meself!

They're 175 in xmusic, might be a little cheaper elsewhere. They are durable too and replacement parts are easy to get. Beats can crack quite easily if dropped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Hi all

Sennheiser seem to have a good name so I'd like to get him a pair of those. He mainly listens to rock, indie & a bit of electronic so I would be grateful if anyone could recommened a good pair of Sennheiser headphones for listening to that type of music.

Yeah Sennheiser are awesome, have a small set for my phone and a large set for the laptop.
    Expensive but great, I bought mine in Poland where they are a lot cheaper if you know anyone flying there.

Advertisement