Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32 year battle to get Marks&Spencer to Limerick

• 22-08-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Moving to Limerick soon and just wondering if there is a Marks and Spencers anywhere in the city, or even close by??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

None in Limerick, and will not be one for a few years at the very earliest.

The nearest M&S to Limerick is the one in Clonmel in county Tipperary, and the nearest big M&S is in Merchants Quay in Cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

augusta24 wrote: »
    Moving to Limerick soon and just wondering if there is a Marks and Spencers anywhere in the city, or even close by??

Afraid not.... But we have euro stores by the dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Pre death of the Tiger M&S were supposed to move into the doomed "Opera Centre" in the city, then they were talking about locating in The Crescent Shopping Centre on the Doughnut Ring.

Cork would be your best bet for a while, unlikely to be opening up any new stores in this country for some time imo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The one in Clonmel isn't very hectic. I stopped in at it a few times when I used to drive the N24 for work, otherwise I'd never have bothered. Cork one is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Vanolder wrote: »
    Afraid not.... But we have euro stores by the dozen.

Love this post it's so true we are going to go from stab city to euro shop city:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Thanks all, I dont live anywhere near one at the moment and was hoping I soon would be but never mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dont get the big draw of M&S - its really nothing spectacular

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

The Limerick Marks and Spencers debate has been going on for decades, will they wont they? The George Hotel mentioned at one stage as far as I can remember. At least we have the "Chicken Hut" :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Mc Love wrote: »

Neither do I tbh, the only thing I ever buy in there is bras! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

And most of the food they sell is british with a great big union jack on it, so I would think that would have an almost negative effect on irish people buying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

And most of the food they sell is british with a great big union jack on it, so I would think that would have an almost negative effect on irish people buying it

Not exactly when the food is far nicer and much better quality.

Have to admit I don't see anything so utterly fantastic about their stores that makes it stand out from the others either. But it does seem to have a strong brand following in this country, for example they don't need to advertise on RTE because almost every presenter in that place plugs "M&S" as if their lives depend on the place.

As for the food hall, I have visited the M&S stores in Dublin, Cork and Liverpool over the years and their food stores seemed top heavy on presentation and over-reliant on teh brand. I did buy some goods there but found them as good as but not better than anything i could buy locally.

Again though, I know people who swear by the stuff and in one instance, a woman who takes a weekly trip to M&S in Cork to stock up there!

As a final aside, if only that someone would move in and develop that eyesore in Patrick Street I wouldn't care if it was M&S, Carrefour, Karstadt or feckin' Bloomingdales......just level those crumbling blocks before they fall down and kill people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Villa05

Give me an Aldi over M&S anyday

No st11te marketing, good quality and low prices - Thank you Germany ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If anybody has visisted a Hypermarket in France then I say "Give me a Carrefour any day".

My former colleague whom informed me about the M&S being added to the Irish store listing a few months ago has...................well removed me from her friends on facebook. :(

Either way I'm not going asking her really. :D

Although you could craft a letter
    Dear M&S,

Please rent the old Dunnes building on "The Bridge".

Signed,

Hungry Boardsie

You don't need a Super M&S like Liffey Valley. An M&S like Merchants Quay or Grafton Street would do just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

According to their website they don't even have any in Ireland! It's not even listed in the country drop-down!

http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/aboutus/where/international_stores

Beer Baron wrote: »
    If anybody has visisted a Hypermarket in France then I say "Give me a Carrefour any day".

My former colleague whom informed me about the M&S being added to the Irish store listing a few months ago has...................well removed me from her friends on facebook. :(

Either way I'm not going asking her really. :D

Although you could craft a letter

Stalking is bad. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It is embarrassing at this stage the amount of M&S stories that get run in the Limerick Leader. Real small time stuff to be giving constant soundbytes to the media about them.

Much smaller towns than Limerick were able to get the finger out and get M&S stores set up in them. In Limerick though they just start stories about M&S coming to retail centres that in most cases are not even there.

The Leader must run five or six stories a year about "renewed interest" in one site or another in terms of M&S going there.

Had to laugh at the bit where it says that M&S have been wooed by the city council about taking a unit in the Opera centre. Yeah I am sure that they would be dead keen to come to a project that has never gotten off the ground but that still manged to rack up a near €100m loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I cringe everytime I see our "leaders" begging for an M&S.
    It's a fuppin supermarket for crying out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i dare you walk into the city council offices and shout "M&S, DO IT!"... :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

How would a House Of Frazier go down in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I don't get the big deal about Marks & Spencer.I think ye are all a bit obsessed :p

bigpink wrote: »
    How would a House Of Frazier go down in Limerick?

I think he prefers his penthouse in Seattle.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

We already had a Lapellos and that hardly lastest a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    We already had a Lapellos and that hardly lastest a year

Le Chic/La Chique lasted quite a bit longer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

What is the obsession with M&S ? The only thing people buy there on a regular basis is underwear for fcuk sake . People go on like it was the second coming.. we're saved , we're saved M&S is coming, Hallelujah ,Hallelujah.

At least they will have clean underwear when they come before the pearly gates :)

Could never understand the fuss about this store. Although the British-printed rag known as "The Leader" can't seem to get enough mileage out of yet another "M&S is coming" banner headline. I can only imagine what the inside pages of that glorified ass-wipe contains.

Mind you considering what passes for a City Council in Limerick and in particular the present mayoral team, M&S must indeed seem like heaven arriving on earth.

More in their line to knock down that eye-sore at the ridiculously titled 'Opera Centre' site and at least create some parking space - as well as brighten up the area a bit - better that than what's there now.

Speaking of which, would it kill them to put up a few more streetlamps in the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

it will happen
    when the coonagh cimena is finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

europa11 wrote: »

Speaking of which, would it kill them to put up a few more streetlamps in the city centre?

Passed through town tonight and there was new lights on on William Street till about half way up. They where very bright, really lit up the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

europa11 wrote: »
    Could never understand the fuss about this store. Although the British-printed rag known as "The Leader" can't seem to get enough mileage out of yet another "M&S is coming" banner headline. I can only imagine what the inside pages of that glorified ass-wipe contains.

Mind you considering what passes for a City Council in Limerick and in particular the present mayoral team, M&S must indeed seem like heaven arriving on earth.

More in their line to knock down that eye-sore at the ridiculously titled 'Opera Centre' site and at least create some parking space - as well as brighten up the area a bit - better that than what's there now.

Yeah , have to agree with you on the naming of the 'Opera Centre' , what is it with this grandiosity ? Talk about confusing the few tourists we do get- ''No there is no music in the Opera Centre, but feel free to hum a tune if you like''.

Advertisement