Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32 year battle to get Marks&Spencer to Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Ridiculous move. :mad:

All the talk lately of rejuvenating the city centre and they let this happen.

That area of Limerick already has 2 Dunnes, an Aldi, a LIDL and a Superquinn.
    I agree.

I have no problem with good neighbourhood shopping schemes serving the needs of the suburbs, but this new “Horizon Mall” is just 2 Km away from the ailing city centre, could be its final “Horror Maul”.

No sane European city would allow such commercial cannibalism to destroy its own core!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

knipex wrote: »
    Stores like B&Q, Harvey Norman etc do not work in city center locations. Someone wants to buy tiles, or plants or 4 bags of cement they need to bring the car and park close, they buy a TV or washing machine they need the same.

We're not talking bix box stores though.

M&S sells clothes, ready meals, sandwiches to go, etc.
    People don't do their full grocery shopping there.

The city centre is an ideal place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mc Love wrote: »
    Rent and commercial rates also being the downfall of the goons in the city

Ah but there is talk that they may look into it again :rolleyes:

Maybe they will again discuss the idea of a 0.25% drop in rates (Yes that is one quarter of one percent)

Maybe if they actually acted when the likes of Cork and Galway had drops in their commercial rates, it would have helped many of the businesses now gone from the city to stay.

The "experts" looking after Limerick have shown themselves to be hapless time after time, so it is no surprise the city centre is where it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Kess73 wrote: »
    Horizon Mall will be part of the Parkway Valley project/centre, just like the Crescent Shopping centre has the Garryowen Mall etc within it.

The developer said the entire project will be called Horizon Mall to reflect a "new horizon" as the Parkway Valley name has such negative connotations with being a symbol of the Limerick property market collapse and the name of a half built eyesore for several years. Personally, I thought Parkway Valley was too repetitive a name to what was already there (Parkway SC and Parkway Retail Park). I'm not mad on the name Horizon either. Then again, the Crescent seems like an inappropriate name also - was the Dooradoyle centre ever shaped like a crescent - even when it was first built??

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/marks-spencer-to-anchor-parkway-valley-site-1-5360806

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

ongarboy wrote: »
    Then again, the Crescent seems like an inappropriate name also - was the Dooradoyle centre ever shaped like a crescent - even when it was first built??

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/marks-spencer-to-anchor-parkway-valley-site-1-5360806
    The Crescent, is call this due to the school near it the Crescent College, which was based at one stage at The Crescent in Limerick City. All in the below link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescent_College

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

moby2101 wrote: »
    Marks & Spencer announce terms have been agreed on a flagship store for Limerick, creating 250 jobs. Full details @Limerick_Leader shortly

Copied from the tweet machine

I will believe it when I see it. Tired of waiting for M&S to arrive to Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I love the outlandish numbers of jobs that get announced with new store openings. A store that size might have 1/3 the staff.

They might as well have announced 2,500 jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I agree with above, the way to save the city centre isn't more shops - it's to redesign the centre for tourism. If they let all the shops move out to the suburbs, pedestrianised the whole centre, replaced big UK shops with cafes, bars and restaurants and really poured the money into theatres, museums,historical areas - I mean, really make the most of the river, the castle, the georgian quarter, plan more weekends like Riverfest, have some comedy fest/music fest/wine and food fest etc - then we'd have a vibrant city full of people!

A great idea I remember seeing in Beauvais was where they turned the town square into a beach in Summer and an ice rink in the winter - surely we could do something similar??
    More shops aren't going to draw me to the centre, not even an M&S, I have no way of getting there, I only live on the Kilmallock road and they've cancelled buses up my way, I'm not going to drag myself and a baby on a big long trek to the bus stop, hoping it won't rain, get a bus right outside the Childers road retail park, ignoring the fact there are shops just there and do it all again to get home with a load of bags when I can hop in my car, drive to Dunnes or the Crescent, load up and ship out.It makes no sense!

I would make the trek in for a family day out or a festival, I'd even make a regular trip if there was, say, a family event every Sunday. It would be out of my way but it would be worth it and I'd probably make a day of it and eat in a cafe/restaurant and hang around for an hour or two. I wouldn't do that to go shopping.

I agree with above, the way to save the city centre isn't more shops - it's to redesign the centre for tourism. If they let all the shops move out to the suburbs, pedestrianised the whole centre, replaced big UK shops with cafes, bars and restaurants and really poured the money into theatres, museums,historical areas - I mean, really make the most of the river, the castle, the georgian quarter, plan more weekends like Riverfest, have some comedy fest/music fest/wine and food fest etc - then we'd have a vibrant city full of people!

A great idea I remember seeing in Beauvais was where they turned the town square into a beach in Summer and an ice rink in the winter - surely we could do something similar??
    More shops aren't going to draw me to the centre, not even an M&S, I have no way of getting there, I only live on the Kilmallock road and they've cancelled buses up my way, I'm not going to drag myself and a baby on a big long trek to the bus stop, hoping it won't rain, get a bus right outside the Childers road retail park, ignoring the fact there are shops just there and do it all again to get home with a load of bags when I can hop in my car, drive to Dunnes or the Crescent, load up and ship out.It makes no sense!

I would make the trek in for a family day out or a festival, I'd even make a regular trip if there was, say, a family event every Sunday. It would be out of my way but it would be worth it and I'd probably make a day of it and eat in a cafe/restaurant and hang around for an hour or two. I wouldn't do that to go shopping.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The only problem with a beach in the summer is the weather and a whole lot of scummers

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Yeah, why would I drive to city centre and pay when I can go to Parkway, Crescent or Childers road retail park for free? My point was that I can't even get public transport as it's been cancelled, so I'd have to drive to Childers road and park at the Dunnes there, passing out a load of shops to get a bus to the city centre. Bit stupid,no?

Yeah, why would I drive to city centre and pay when I can go to Parkway, Crescent or Childers road retail park for free? My point was that I can't even get public transport as it's been cancelled, so I'd have to drive to Childers road and park at the Dunnes there, passing out a load of shops to get a bus to the city centre. Bit stupid,no?

I can agree with you there. I was always amazed an area the size of Georgian Village, Meadowlands, Derrynane, etc has such bad services.
    There should be an hourly bus to town at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think it's worth bearing in mind that they announced the opening of a Limerick branch on the same day that they annouced the closure of 4 of their other branches. I would've had a browse in M & S if it was in the city centre but I wouldn't travel out of town for some food and clothes that are over priced versions of what can be purchased in the city centre. They may open an out of town store, how long it stays open remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've worn M&S clothes and they are very good quality. I don't have M&S clothes money these days but they are better for men's clothes than many other places.

Their food offering is good as well. More expensive but a good quality offering and 3 for 2 all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Widescreen

M & S should open in the Old Dunnes in Sarsfield Street, perfect spot. It won't work in that retail park. Town is the place . I used to hit town most saturday mornings for a couple of hours, HMV being my main port of call, I could have added M & S to that list!

FYI folks, I have not been into Limerick city centre since HMV closed and I only live 5 mins out the road. You need these type of flagship shops in the centre to attract casual shoppers, not in satellite shopping centres, that do nothing to enhance the overall city experience.

Anyone else say the same or similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Speaking of dunnes sarsfield street. Today they finally took down the Santa stickers from the windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Widescreen wrote: »
    M & S should open in the Old Dunnes in Sarsfield Street, perfect spot.

Not a chance....Dunnes own that building and have no intention of either selling or leasing to M&S or any other large Drapery/Grocery outlet.
    They might have sold it for use as a hotel or similar during the boom times....but not now.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Not a chance....Dunnes own that building and have no intention of either selling or leasing to M&S or any other large Drapery/Grocery outlet.
    They might have sold it for use as a hotel or similar during the boom times....but not now.

They should be taken to court and forced to sell it.

Sarsfield Street is an eyesore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

You could just walk into town, it's not an especially long walk. Sure you wouldn't do it for a full grocery shop but you could certainly go in to browse and get some bits and pieces, bring your child to the park, visit the gallery, have lunch, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

They should be taken to court and forced to sell it.

Sarsfield Street is an eyesore.

on what basis? nothing in the law preventing building looking like one.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    You could just walk into town, it's not an especially long walk. Sure you wouldn't do it for a full grocery shop but you could certainly go in to browse and get some bits and pieces, bring your child to the park, visit the gallery, have lunch, etc.

Yeah, most likely I won't walk my child along a busy road so she can inhale car fumes and the buggy wheels can get covered in dog ****e for the 40 mins walk into town and then back again - I could instead drive to Annacotty or Shelbourne park and have a much nicer time in those parks and if it rains we can hop in the car.
    I can't imagine there'd be many people willing to go out of their way to walk all the way to the city. It's not really realistic. I would have done it maybe a few years ago before I could drive and when it was just me but TBH I often walked to UL instead, picking up anything I needed on the way back.

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    on what basis? nothing in the law preventing building looking like one.

They're letting a prime building on one of the main streets in the city fall into dereliction just to stop some other potential business opening and threatening their Henry Street branch.
    They did the same with the Parkway. It's spite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

why cant the council just force a cpo on the sarsfield site unless dunnes have plans to do something with it. its ridiculous that they are aiding in the dereliction of the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yeah, most likely I won't walk my child along a busy road so she can inhale car fumes and the buggy wheels can get covered in dog ****e for the 40 mins walk into town and then back again - I could instead drive to Annacotty or Shelbourne park and have a much nicer time in those parks and if it rains we can hop in the car.

Well that's kind of hysterical and just undermines any genuine point you have to make. Especially lhow you complain about car fumes and then go on about the ease of hopping in a car. You are just adding to a problem you are complaining about. Limerick is a very small city with most places accessible by foot and walking places is so tremendously good for you and you live so near the city. While it is an absolute disgrace that the bus service was cancelled that doesn't make the city inaccessible to a healthy, young person living so close by. And as nice as Annacotty and Shelbourne Park as they don't have an art gallery. There is no market nearby at weekends, no museum down the road, you can't have burritos or mezes for lunch or grab a bargain pair of shoes at the great shoe sale that I found on Wednesday on O'Connell St.

The city absolutely needs improving, there is no doubt about that but to say it offers nothing that the suburbs don't is utter nonsense. People need to change their attitudes. I recently moved back to Limerick and while I'm a few minutes closer to town than you are, I walk to town with my son once or twice a week on average. The People's Park is his favourite, he enjoys the art gallery and the market a lot. It's fun for us both, it's healthy for me and the fumes from the cars haven't been an issue Mulgrave St isn't exactly a teeming 6 lane highway (and would be less of an issue if people stopped taking the unnecessary journeys you are all in favour of) and while we shouldn't have to, it's not that hard to dodge the dog shít on Mulgrave St, once you aware of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They're letting a prime building on one of the main streets in the city fall into dereliction just to stop some other potential business opening and threatening their Henry Street branch.

:confused: The Parkways not closed or falling into dereliction. Not sure what you mean.

still don't see what law would you apply here? they own it, period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    still don't see what law would you apply here? they own it, period.

compulsary purchase order. the council could use regeneration of the city center as an excuse

That's a way to do it, but it's completely different thing. There's no law preventing people from owning abandoned building.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

iguana wrote: »

I agree with you 100% and was thinking the same when reading that posters opinion. The attitude of many Limerick people towards their own city really reflects when venturing into the city centre. People moan about how the city centre is dying yet don't make the effort to go in there. Fair enough the range of shops isn't great when comparing it to the Cresent shopping centre but as you were saying there's parks, cafes,bars, great river walks etc. Visiting the city centre shouldn't mean a shopping spree! I always make the effort to go into the city centre just to walk around or meet friends in the cafe's otherwise I'm just adding to those who are helping to destroy the place my sticking to their guns and only going to out of town shopping centres.
    There's no point in the same people getting defensive about outside visitors opinions of the city centre as being quiet and lacking in atmosphere when limerick people themselves are part and partial of the reason of why it can be a city that lacks in vibrancy and energy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

:confused: The Parkways not closed or falling into dereliction. Not sure what you mean.

Yup strange comment to make. My missus is the shop manager in the Easons there. I went into visit it and couldnt believe how much things have come on.

My friend opened oscars & Co. Barbers too on monday in there. Its definitely coming along.

Advertisement