Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT! Schmidt & Bender question

Options
  • 02-12-2011 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, sorry for the fuss but I've got til tomorrow to make up my mind about this scope. It's an old S&B 6x42 (made in WEST!:eek:!Germany!) and was fully reconditioned by S&B last october. The guy wants 250-300 euro for it. It has a few scratches but nothing anywhere near serious. I can't upload a pic as my pooter is gone mental:mad:. Please all,any opinions?????? CHEERS
    LR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Longranger wrote: »
    Hi lads, sorry for the fuss but I've got til tomorrow to make up my mind about this scope. It's an old S&B 6x42 (made in WEST!:eek:!Germany!) and was fully reconditioned by S&B last october. The guy wants 250-300 euro for it. It has a few scratches but nothing anywhere near serious. I can't upload a pic as my pooter is gone mental:mad:. Please all,any opinions?????? CHEERS
    LR

It sounds perfect fro deer stalking or a bit of foxing.

It's a S&B, fully reconditioned by S&B for the price of a Tasco or Hawke!

I'd jump at it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

but what are you going to use it
    deer stalking lamping rabbit shooting and what calibre are you going to put it on

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Thats why I'm wondering, if I do it'll be going on a hmr for bunnies and the odd fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Thats why I'm wondering, if I do it'll be going on a hmr for bunnies and the odd fox.

x6 is very small magnification for bunnies on a hmr IMO. you can use the hmr out to 200 yards on bunnies and it would be very hard to find him in a x6 scope.

Great for a deer stalking rifle tho.

That's what I was thinking. Seems a shame to pass up though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

it's not enough scope for a hmr at least not to take advantage of what the hmr is capable of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

hi good decent scope i have a old west german 4 x 36 that i use for the last week of the season stalking i have shot a good number of deer and at good distance tru the years 6x42 plenty good enough for stalking its not a varminting scope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

is that a really old scope iseen someone advertising one recently it looked like it was 40 or 50years old.iv got a 30 year old zeiss and its in tip top condition so even old scopes like these can be great but for rabbits 6x is very low mag and the cross hair will more than likely be very heavy

Its about 30 years old. Like I said,not bad nick but yeah, the crosshairs would be huge over a coinin at 100 yards plus, I think I'll have to stick with my bushnell banner 6-18x50. Never thought I'd get a S&B for that money though. Oh well. . . . .

Thanks for the advice lads. I'm gonna stick with my bushnell. Have to now anyway, I told him I'd give it a miss so S&B now sold.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice lads. I'm gonna stick with my bushnell. Have to now anyway, I told him I'd give it a miss so S&B now sold.

What bushnell are you using and how are you finding it?

garv123 wrote: »
    What bushnell are you using and how are you finding it?

It's a banner 6-18x50. I haven't tried it yet. Waiting for the mounts, but my mate has one and he LOVES it! He knows his stuff and reckons it's a savage scope for the money.

It's a banner 6-18x50. I haven't tried it yet. Waiting for the mounts, but my mate has one and he LOVES it! He knows his stuff and reckons it's a savage scope for the money.

Just the one i want to get for my hmr. :D
    how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking?

garv123 wrote: »
    Just the one i want to get for my hmr. :D
    how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking?
    I got my cousin in london to get it at sportsman gun centre. Cost was £118 Sterling! They on sale at half price:)I put a link on another thread yesterday about scope for hmr. Have a look,it's a lot of scope for your money.

Just looking at that post garv,Clivej got one in o'hallorans for €199. Still a great price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If money wasn't a problem (there's a big if) I'd be tempted to buy the scope for the lower end of the price and keep it on the shelf ;)

johngalway wrote: »
    If money wasn't a problem (there's a big if) I'd be tempted to buy the scope for the lower end of the price and keep it on the shelf ;)

It was so,so, so tempting John,but 3 weeks before the red fella comes and with 2 kids in the house, a second scope would have broke the bank big time;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

It was so,so, so tempting John,but 3 weeks before the red fella comes and with 2 kids in the house, a second scope would have broke the bank big time;)

I had one of these. Wasn't west germany, just Germany- but it was class.
    Shot foxes in moonlight with it. But it's not the scope for a HMR.

I still have a hungarian one- they're just as good, but I crushed the tube a TINY bit so I can't sell it...

Glensman wrote: »
    I had one of these. Wasn't west germany, just Germany- but it was class.
    Shot foxes in moonlight with it. But it's not the scope for a HMR.

I still have a hungarian one- they're just as good, but I crushed the tube a TINY bit so I can't sell it...

you can send it back to get fixed or retubed i got a 4x16x50 s&b retubed 6 years ago a lot better than buying a new one

steyrman2 wrote: »
    you can send it back to get fixed or retubed i got a 4x16x50 s&b retubed 6 years ago a lot better than buying a new one

It's works 100% and mounts fine. I just wouldn't want to sell it on to someone in case they thought I was trying to rob them! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

What sort of money would that set ya back if you don't mind saying?

ayapatrick wrote: »
    What sort of money would that set ya back if you don't mind saying?

inc postage both ways 350 euros

inc postage both ways 350 euros

That's reasonable enough. I suppose they service it while they have it?

I still wouldn't send the 6x42, I'll just keep it...

full service on it i also sent my 4 x 36 s&b to be serviced as it was 20 years old the said it was perfect

Advertisement