Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Media] Homeowner did not pay service charges

Options
  • 02-12-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭

I think this is the first time I've seen such a case in the paper.

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/homeowner-did-not-pay-service-charges-2950438.html
    Wednesday November 30 2011
    THE OWNER of a Rosslare house who failed to pay service charges to a management company in his estate had a decree for €1,075.75 granted against him at Wexford District Civil Court.

Judge William Earley said Colm Allan's 'pursuit of his own interests against the common good encapsulates much of what is wrong in this world at present.'

Paul Mulally, another homeowner in Glendale and an unpaid director of Glendale Estate Services, said Mr Allan had owned his house since 2000 but did not pay any service charges until 2010, when he made a part payment of €500. He said he was also in default for 2011. Mr Mulally accepted that there were early problems in the estate which took a long time to complete.

But services were being provided including bins, street lighting, insurance and grass-cutting, he said.

In 2003, the service charge went up to €1,000 and one of reasons given by the management company at the time was that a lot of people were not paying.

Mr Allan said he has no problem paying what he is legally obliged to pay.

He said the other home owners should be trying to get the money back of M.J. Power and the management company to whom it was paid. 'I know I owe money but I don't owe what they are claiming for.'

Judge Earley granted the decree to Glendale Estate Services with a total of €750 witness expenses and legal costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

jd wrote: »
    I think this is the first time I've seen such a case in the paper.

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/homeowner-did-not-pay-service-charges-2950438.html

might be the firs ttime in the paper but its not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mr Allan told Judge Earley that he complained to the developer Martin Power and to Seán Bates on a number of occasions. 'I paid up-front the first year and got absolutely nothing,' said the plaintiff.

He said there is still no refuse collection although the lighting has been fixed.
    I would wonder what the €1000 pays for, and if the people are told what it's for.
    But services were being provided including bins, street lighting, insurance and grass-cutting, he said.
    I'd wonder what the insurance covers, and what would happen if he paid for his own bins to be collected from a rival company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd wonder what the insurance covers, and what would happen if he paid for his own bins to be collected from a rival company?

We don't know the makeup of the estate, whether it's all houses or houses and apartments where communal bin sheds are used.

Again without knowing the development, insurance could be needed for a number of different things.

In our development (mixed) both apartments and houses use communal bin sheds. The deeds/leases state that the management company will retain the services of a waste collection service for general domestic refuse generated by houses and apartments.

Our insurance covers the apartment buildings, car park, internal common areas, gardens, playground, bin sheds and directors liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

I've passed it quite a few times, it's houses, "semi-gated", and probably a mixture of locals and people who have a second house in Rosslare. I'd say some owners rent out to others for short term holiday lettings too

http://www.google.com/maps?ll=52.274985,-6.398817&spn=0.003486,0.009645&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=52.274927,-6.398693&panoid=bk5pPgjnMAgbkc57krv64A&cbp=12,265.62,,0,-2

Advertisement