Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ross Quay resurfacing?

Options
  • 02-12-2011 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Anybody know what's going on with the Quay in Ross? The surface on the road is beginning to resemble Calcutta. In the past few months several approach roads to the town have been resurfaced with no messing. Why is it taking so long to do the quay. Supposed to have started in November!! Nothing yet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Even that bloody new bus stop is done, but still not being used yet. It was finished about three days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

6600 wrote: »
    Anybody know what's going on with the Quay in Ross? The surface on the road is beginning to resemble Calcutta. In the past few months several approach roads to the town have been resurfaced with no messing. Why is it taking so long to do the quay. Supposed to have started in November!! Nothing yet

I hope someday NewRoss will be bypassed cos its a nightmare at times though doubt it will happen in my life time. You're right about the state of the quay - its embarrassing. Shop fronts (exept that new shop opposite famine ship) are fiithy and pooly kept too. To anyone passing through via the quay the town looks poor, cheap and uninviting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Wait until the buses start to park in the new Bus Shelter , and it will create a blind spot for all traffic coming down Sugarhouse Lane .

Attached link explains the reason why the New Ross quay is in such a state :

http://www.newrossstandard.ie/news/works-on-new-quayside-set-to-start-in-december-2888853.html

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

As well as the quay needing resurfacing I wish they would do something about the state of the road where the old train track is opposite Staffords. Its brutal. Now that is a road similar to one in Calcutta:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

muirsheen wrote: »
    As well as the quay needing resurfacing I wish they would do something about the state of the road where the old train track is opposite Staffords. Its brutal. Now that is a road similar to one in Calcutta:mad:

Lodge a complaint to the Council and they might do it as part of the resurfacing works,no harm in asking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Bazbu wrote: »
    I hope someday NewRoss will be bypassed cos its a nightmare at times though doubt it will happen in my life time. You're right about the state of the quay - its embarrassing. Shop fronts (exept that new shop opposite famine ship) are fiithy and pooly kept too. To anyone passing through via the quay the town looks poor, cheap and uninviting.

in fairness to those who have shop fronts on the Quay, the ones who are still operational do try keep them in some order, but its an absolute disaster for them because of all the muck and crap that is caused due to the traffic and the poor state of the roads. its not the worst thing about the town, thats for sure. they are already suffering because of all the work that has been going on around them.

bad and all as Ross is, the shops of the town are trying to do what they can, and are always against a brick wall of the town council. sure it was only recently there was all the trouble over shop owners parking outside their shops to load vans etc and were getting parking tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

driving through there not so long ago and thought the same... road needs resurfacing badly and frontage on quay could do with a lick of paint but its a tough situation for those shop owners and buildings... lots of traffic and effects of this would be hard to curtail...

i actually spent some time in new ross for a change over the summer and i was surprised by the main street and how nice it was, nice coffee shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

very simple solution.

step 1: acquire many bulldozers.
    step 2: push the whole town into the river and watch it float away.
    step 3: have a big party.

very simple solution.

step 1: acquire many bulldozers.
    step 2: push the whole town into the river and watch it float away.
    step 3: have a big party.

Ehhh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

i actually spent some time in new ross for a change over the summer and i was surprised by the main street and how nice it was, nice coffee shops etc.

And if there wasn't all that bloody incessant traffic, the quay could be a nice place to be too. Will we have a bypass within this generation? Not so sure unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I drove across that ****ing quay today and i saw 2 guys in high vis jackets, with a bag of gravel and a shovel topping up the craters around the standard office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

The road surface there is bloody horrible, try it on a motorbike!

They're talking of throwing money at a new road between Waterford and New Ross (think that project might be halted now because of the recession) but they won't put money where it's actually needed!

The road surface there is bloody horrible, try it on a motorbike!

They're talking of throwing money at a new road between Waterford and New Ross (think that project might be halted now because of the recession) but they won't put money where it's actually needed!

the quay resurfacing is to start towards the end of January. contracts are to be signed in 2 weeks time.

bruschi wrote: »
    the quay resurfacing is to start towards the end of January. contracts are to be signed in 2 weeks time.

Woohoo! That's great news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Woohoo! That's great news :)

Great news maybe- but expect traffic disruption / delays for many months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Great news maybe- but expect traffic disruption / delays for many months

The works are being done from 9pm to 7 am each day so minimal disruption.

To be fair anyone that uses that road regularly will see the benefit in the long run to whatever disruption is caused.

To be fair anyone that uses that road regularly will see the benefit in the long run to whatever disruption is caused.

exactly. people want a road fixed, but dont want disruption. it cant be both ways. always just a way to be giving out about something.

ah they wont fix the road, its a disgrace.
    those roadworks are casuing some amount of problems. its a disgrace.

bruschi wrote: »
    exactly. people want a road fixed, but dont want disruption. it cant be both ways. always just a way to be giving out about something.

ah they wont fix the road, its a disgrace.
    those roadworks are casuing some amount of problems. its a disgrace.

Well hopefully once the road is resurfaced everybody will be happy :D

These long overdue works, which stretch from O'hanrahan Bridge to the Garda Station at Marshmeadows, have been divided into two stages to allow the resurfacing works to be coordinated with the Quayside Plan contract to ensure minimal disruption.
    Phase one of the works to resurface the badly eroded route between New Ross Garda Station and the Dunbrody Visitor Centre will take place towards the beginning of January, while the remaining section from the visitor centre to O'hanrahan Bridge will be coordinated with the contract for the Quayside Plan.

http://www.newrossstandard.ie/news/quay-works-postponed-until-after-christmas-2955441.html

• Advertisement

And when will the great Quayside Plan be implemented? Sounds like its not going to be any time soon - if I bend an alloy going around that junction at the bridge, there'll be hell to pay. :(

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    And when will the great Quayside Plan be implemented? Sounds like its not going to be any time soon - if I bend an alloy going around that junction at the bridge, there'll be hell to pay. :(

why? it was tendered in September with a proposed start date left til after Christmas. By all reports, it sounds like it is starting soon. Its been on the table for nigh on a year now, so it should be ready to go. I'd imagine they will want it done before the next JFK festival in the summer. It has a reported project timeline of 6 months.

Dilbert75 wrote: »

The Quayside Plan is being done at the same time as the quay is being resurfaced from the Visitor centre to the bridge . The road from the visitor centre to the Garda station is being resurfaced first. See here.

Granted but all that tells me is that:
    1) the less badly broken bit will be started in January
    2) the more badly damaged section will be bundled with the Quayside plan, which is to start at some later but unspecified time.
    I just wonder how financially advantageous it is to hold off on the worse section so it can be bundled with the Quayside plan.

The Quayside Plan is certainly gathering momentum , according to the NR Standard anyway .
    It also includes pedestrianisation of some parts of the dowtown area .

But guess what , they are deciding to just do away with more car-parking spaces and widen the footpaths to improve the comfort of shoppers / pedestrians

They feel that the Traffic Management Plan has been so successful , that now the sky's the limit .

Latest news is that the first stage of the works is supposed to be starting on January 30th and the Quayside plan, along with the second stage of the resurfacing, is supposed to begin on March 1st. It might be worth noting though that the Quayside plan contracts haven't been signed yet :rolleyes: - supposed to be happening the second week in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

whats the story with the 'Muscle Beach' area in the park, I was through Ross a few weeks ago and someting seemed to have sprung up there??????

Also Lads the comparisons with Calcutta are a bit Rough, the Roads in Calcutta aint near as bad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trevor Kent

Still no road works on the Quay.

Something seems to be happening up across from the Bosheen housing estate. New Swimming Pool?

Still no road works on the Quay.

Something seems to be happening up across from the Bosheen housing estate. New Swimming Pool?

Yep that's it - 16 month time frame to complete.

• Advertisement

Works on the quay is due to start at 8pm tonight and the first phase (Garda Station to Dunbrody) will last for three weeks

Advertisement