Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antique candlestick phone conversion - 3 prong

Options
  • 02-12-2011 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I have bought an antique telephone which has a 3 pronged plug. I have exhaustively searched the web for an adaptor but with no joy.
    (Maybe they don't exist. :confused:)

I would like to have it functioning but I would prefer not having to take off the original plug. Is this possible and if not, how would I go about converting it?

Thanks.

Please check out the pic below.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Is it the Italian one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Zab wrote: »
    Is it the Italian one?

I have no idea, there are no markings on it whatsoever. I doubt it though, as it resided its whole life in a large English country house until recently.

Its circa 1930.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

the older phone exchanges were using specific voltages,protocols,signals and tones.
    i don't think the new one,the digital type,can work in compatibility mode with the old Rotary exchanges...

the new digital systems are using only 2 wires anyway.

i've worked in a Rotary exchange,long time ago and i remember the fun with introduction of new digital exchange modules,around the corner,with a total new system.
    i remember having digital phones in Rotary type exchanges and having issues with the voltages,blowing away the internal circuits of the new phones...

http://www.boldoldphones.com/FAQs.htm

so,a short answer,forget it,is a nice piece of "furniture"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

That curly cable doesn't look very 1930s !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    That curly cable doesn't look very 1930s !

LOL.:D

That's because it's not.

The rest is very genuine though down to the horrible musty smell...:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement